Author Topic: New turkey thumper on the way.  (Read 603 times)

Offline Hardcase

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Fellowship of the Outdoors
New turkey thumper on the way.
« on: March 24, 2005, 06:32:04 AM »
I expect my NEF Survivor to be back any day. I've got a 12 Ga., 28" Turkey, Extra-Full barrel coming back with it. What choice of shell patterns best in it? What's the maximum kill range?

One other question I hear it's a shoulder thumper too. Any ideas to reduce the "thump" some?
God, Guns, Game, and Trapping

Home of the Fellowship of the Outdoors
http://www.fellowshipoftheoutdoors.org

Bob Boyd

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 09:54:37 AM »
The sims recoil pad would be the best thing you could get for recoil. I need to order one but i dont know which one to get. I need one for a youth wood stock.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 11:37:22 AM »
Since you have a survivor stock the cheapest option is to simply fill that stock with something heavy. I don't know how a recoil pad will work with that stock. There are a lot of other measures you can take but then you start spending money. Porting, one of those ported choke tubes, Lengthening the forcing cone, mercury recoil suppressors, lthe list goes on. If you have the storearm fore arm that could have some weight added as well.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline ncmtnhillbilly

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 08:56:19 PM »
i personally had a very similar set-up mine was the survivor with the 24 in turkey barrel, i tried adding sand, gel packs ,pennies you name it...it was the most brutal thing i ever shot in my life!!! the way the survivor stock shoulders puts all the recoil "in" your shoulder...ouch, i would go with 2 3/4 loads or three in, not sure if the 28 in barrel will go 3 1/2 or not ,good luck to you  :cry:

Bill
:shock:  :excuseme: Be vewy,vewy quiet, I`m huntin`Cwiminals!!

Offline Hardcase

• Fellowship of the Outdoors
Oh, my shoulder!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 05:56:59 AM »
Oh, my shoulder!  

Finally got to pattern my new 12, handi shotgun turkey barrel.

Not really that bad I added a slip on recoil pad and it really was not bad. It did try to jump.

3" #5s patterned best 34 pellets in the kill zone. 3 1/2" #5s were almost as good, but I don't think they are worth the difference in recoil.
God, Guns, Game, and Trapping

Home of the Fellowship of the Outdoors
http://www.fellowshipoftheoutdoors.org

Bob Boyd

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 11:56:26 AM »
I think if your going to shot a 3 1/2 shell out of a single shot it might as well be a 10 ga.   I have a Charles Daly 3 1/2 maxi mag and it kicks hard but I can't even think about a single shot 3 1/2 OUCH !!!!!
But with a good recoil pad and the steel bad in my 10 ga its ok.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 04:11:00 PM »
Come on Dave aren't you curious enough to see just how bad it really is. If we ever do manage to get together for some geese or sea ducks next year you can shoot my topper deluxe.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun