Author Topic: Wind  (Read 324 times)

Offline rmtaylor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Wind
« on: April 03, 2005, 04:22:42 AM »
Well I have all my tests loads done for my new 243 and am all packed but we are going to have 25 to 35 MPH winds all day. I also switched some scopes around and wanted to get my 270 and my 357 back on Paper. I figure if I stay at 50 yards I will be able to get close even with the wind. Am I going to waste my time going to the range?????
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"

Offline bigjeepman

Wind
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 04:54:50 AM »
I know this is just my own opinion but I have hashed that same question around for several years now. I used to wait until I had days with little or no wind to go to the range to test any loads or even shoot. I found that with work and other responsibilities that if I wanted to go shooting, I should just go and accept what Mother Nature has for me on that day.

My routine now includes shooting in all kinds of wind unless I am testing a new caliber load and then I am just much more comfortable getting used to new bullets, powders, etc with less wind. I have done a lot of  successful load development in 10 to 25 mph wind conditions. I have had some pretty good groups I think because the winds make me concentrate even more than normal. I coyote hunt and it also gives me practice time shooting under windy conditions.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Wind
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 06:06:55 AM »
Get you guns on paper at 25 yards...then move out to 50-100...you'll save a bunch of ammo in the process....

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Wind
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 07:32:22 AM »
rmtaylor.
You can shoot extremely small groups in wind by using  wind flags.
Wind is not set on a speed control but fluctuates considerable.If you pick your shots under a certain condition you will be able to shrink your groups.

The wind flags will tell you the changes in wind and when the wind has the condition of the initial shot, you fire the next one. This is an art and top shooters do best.

A wind flag needs to be no more than a stick or rod with a 2ft piece of red surveyor tape tied to it. The higth just below the bullets flight line and in line with the target. so you can see the target and the flags through the scope. It's fun to use wind flags.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
Wind
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 10:24:54 AM »
Well I went and as soon as I can learn how..........I have some tagets to post. I LOVE MY NEW 243!! All the homework I did on bullet stability and velocity seems to have paid off. Range report coming.

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"