Author Topic: Gas Checks on cast bullets  (Read 926 times)

Offline WoodenFrog

• Trade Count: (0)
Gas Checks on cast bullets
« on: May 11, 2005, 08:49:35 AM »
I have a question about gas check bullets. I ordered a new mold, and it's for a bullet that requires gas checks. At the same time, I ordered a couple of thousand gas checks for it.

But, that got me to wondering. What would happen some day if I ran out of gas checks and needed to make some ammo. Could I load the bullet up without the check, and would it work OK? I was wondering if that little depressed ring around the base of the bullet could make it easier for a gas leak or for increased leading.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 09:18:58 AM »
I have heard pro and con. C.E. Harris who probably has shot more cast bullets as anyone and has written a lot of articles on the subject claims he has had no problems shooting them. Of course your loads will have to be a lot lower with out the check than with. Most folks claim that plain based bullets or in this case unchecked bullets should not go over 1600 FPS. I would say that a bit below that may even be better. I use Lee Liquid alox on my bullets and I have no leading problems shooting cast. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline WoodenFrog

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 09:38:16 AM »
I've got a lot of regular molds that form bullets without checks, and I'm familiar with loading those.   I was asking if bullets that were designed for gas checks could be used without them.  I was just wondering what would happen if they were loaded without the checks.

Offline jcunclejoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 10:44:44 AM »
I have been shooting my 10.5" 44 mag Ruger SuperBlackhawk for years with a Lyman 429215 gas check design bullet. I have never put a gas check on a single cast bullet that has gone through that gun. I have had excellent results with some light leading after 40 to 60 rounds. It usually comes out in less than ten minutes. Accuracy has been excellent.

I also shoot my 32 H&R 10" contender barrel with a Lee C309-113RF gas check bullet without gas checks. It consistently groups 1.125" average at 100 yards. Nothing smaller than 3/4" groups and nothing larger than 1.375" but extremely consistent.

I have considered trying gas checks but havn't gotten around to it yet on either one.

Why fix what ain't broke. You never know what might work until you try it as long as it is safe.
Good luck, give it a whirl.
Joe

Offline WoodenFrog

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 01:09:46 PM »
Thanks jcunclejoe, that's the information I was wanting.  

I'm loading some 45-70 for a Sharps rifle, and that's what I ordered the mold and gas checks for.

And, then the thought occured to me about what would happen if I ran out of gas checks some time.  

Thanks again.  WF~

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 01:34:08 PM »
I guess I did not make my post clear what C.E Harris said was he shot lots of bullets unchecked and never had any problems doing so! Just keep the speed down and since you are shooting a Sharps rifle you probably will anyway. I shoot plain based bullets in a Remington Roller 1902 rebarreled into a 45/70 and I have found that this cartridge is very forgiving it likes most any powder/bullet combination. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 09:41:55 PM »
WoodenFrog;  FWIW, The GC style bullet, fired without the GC is aerodynamically similar to a Boat Tail bullet!

I have used GC style bullets in 30-30 Win, 357 Mag,  44 Mag and 444 Marlin,  all with and without the Gas Checks installed!
The only thing that I've found (as said in above posts) is that without the GS's, you need to keep your speed down to around 1600 FPS!
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline Possum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 11:47:32 AM »
I also have a friend who is an experienced caster and shooter who routinely shoots a 44 gas check bullet unchecked with no problems.

Offline WoodenFrog

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 02:22:51 PM »
Great guys, I appreciate the replies.  I now know if I should run out of gas checks and can still reload my cartridges.   :D