Author Topic: Army SGT 1st Class Paul Smith Awarded the MOH  (Read 622 times)

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Army SGT 1st Class Paul Smith Awarded the MOH
« on: April 04, 2005, 04:42:46 PM »
In contrast to Hanoi Jane's book hawking, check out the Fox News website.

He was completely different from Jane.

Some contrast...huh?

Best,
TnNuc

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
Army SGT 1st Class Paul Smith Awarded the M
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 06:47:48 PM »
It brought a tear to my eye watching his wife, daughter, and son up there to get his MOH. His son who is 11 stood there like a little man, with his dad's 3rd ID pin on his lapel. It made me think of the words of Adm Nimitz in respect to the Marines on Iwo Jima:" Uncommon valor was a common virtue." The same can be said today of our service members. God bless this man and his family, and all the others like them.

Semper Fi

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 01:05:38 AM »
I agree if it was not for folks like this man we would not be the country we are today. FREE. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 07:35:36 AM »
I watched a news clip showing his family receiving the award, and President Bush placing the award into that boy's hands.

I was moved by a quote from a letter written by Sergeant Smith to his father, where he said that he'd give everything that he was to make sure that his boys got back home.

He sure did that.

But as I looked at that boy holding that display case with the ribbons, the medal, and his father's name engraved on a brass plaque across the bottom, I couldn't help but feel that even this medal was a poor substitute for a father.

On the upside, Sergeant Smith may have provided a benefit to his children that he never could have had he not made this sacrifice for his comrades.  Dad may have paid for the price of a ticket to West Point if one or both of those kids choose to travel that path.  That can't be bought.

Do they still give service academy appointments to the children of MOH awardees?

:?
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 11:45:37 AM »
Fwiedner wrote:
But as I looked at that boy holding that display case with the ribbons, the medal, and his father's name engraved on a brass plaque across the bottom, I couldn't help but feel that even this medal was a poor substitute for a father.

Isnt that the truth. There is no greater gift that one can give than one's life for another. Other kids will have their fathers because of what this man did.

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 10:39:06 AM »
Not sure how to word this.

My father was a Marine. No medals no honors. Just an office clerk as far as I can tell.

From as long ago as I can remember, I wanted to be a Marine like my Dad. To share and remember his honor. I never realised this. (One functioning kidney was the one thing that kept me out of the Corps).

If Sergent Smith's son aspires to be a Marine because of his fathers sacrifice , then so be it.

Even if I had never met my father, knowing he was a Marine and served my country as such would have shaped me considerably. The young man has a right to be proud.

We should all be proud of our service men/women whether they be clerks or soldiers awarded the Medal of Honor.

I am still today proud of my fathers service. Truth be known he was better with a typewriter than a rifle.

Sorry if this was a bit off topic or convoluted.

Nixter

PS. I never got a chance to tell my Father how proud I was of the fact that he was a Marine.

Maybe this is my chance...

Thanks Dad, I'm proud of you.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 08:35:04 AM »
Quote from: FWiedner
Do they still give service academy appointments to the children of MOH awardees?

Do that be regardless of qualifications, or lack thereof, ask Dali Llama?
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 05:31:20 AM »
Quote from: Dali Llama
Quote from: FWiedner

Do that be regardless of qualifications, or lack thereof, ask Dali Llama?

Yes, they still get a full ride to West Point, and rightfuly so.  "Airborne" to SFC Smith.

SAW
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23