Author Topic: modifying a lee push through sizer die  (Read 704 times)

Offline swifty

• Trade Count: (0)
modifying a lee push through sizer die
« on: April 17, 2005, 05:01:42 AM »
I need to open up a Lee sizer die from .457 to .460. I called lee and they told me to use a woden dowel with Clover valve grinding compond. I tried that as well as using an aluminum rod. Neither worked for me. Have any of you made this modification?
How did you do it, how much trouble and how long did it take?

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Sizer
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 08:17:41 AM »
I tried it with just about everything...........the die steel is pretty tuff and chromed. I finally gave up and had Lee make me a .459 for $25 bucks.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
modifying a lee push through sizer die
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 08:35:33 AM »
I need to open up a Lee sizer die from .457 to .460. I called lee and they told me to use a woden dowel with Clover valve grinding compond. I tried that as well as using an aluminum rod. Neither worked for me. Have any of you made this modification?

I responded to this same question when you posed it on the CBL but neglected to tell you how I did it.  I used an undersize mild steel rod with a groove cut lengthwise in it and the placed cloth backed emery paper (foreget the grit) in the groove and wrapped it to where is was a tight fit in the die.  Spin with a drill till it gets looze and then add a bit more emery paper.

I'd go for the custom die at $25 bucks though.  Then you will also have your .457 if you ever need it!

Offline swifty

• Trade Count: (0)
I need to open up a Lee sizer die from .457 to .460
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 11:49:03 AM »
Thanks guys. I will call Lee on Monday and order a .460 sizer die.