Author Topic: Round Ball  (Read 852 times)

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Round Ball
« on: March 14, 2005, 04:28:46 AM »
There is and outdoor column in our local paper. Most weeks there is a big buck story. Not infrequently a huge muzzleloader deer is featured. Most times the deer has been shot with a modern muzzleloader, using a patched ball. I love powerbelts, but ain't too crazy with price.
Has anyone tried say a Hornady .490 ball, with perhaps .010 lubed pillow ticking. I don't do a lot of range time, but it may save on Powerbelts. On the other hand, many swear by the killing power of the lead ball, and I'm all about on the spot one shot kills!.... Thoughts?

Offline hunterwinco

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Round Ball
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 06:29:49 AM »
Ive tried hornady 490 rb in my sidekick...only punched paper but they were quick accurate!  I used some TC prelubed patches that I happen to have.  Loaded 50g of clean shot and had a ball!   No pun intended!  I usually shoot 240g xtp's with 90g of cleanshot and have great results.

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
yy
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 04:34:19 PM »
i got a tc.bullet mold 365 gr. dont cost to much to load and shoot.....it shots to point of aim with 240 gr.xtp so i shoot these in off season....tc sell these bullets if you can find them anymore....so many sabots ..bullets its hard to find the OLD STUFF that we all used 10 years ago....if you cant find some ill send you some to try....jb

Offline TOGO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Round Ball
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 08:07:14 PM »
I thought the rate of twist was too fast to throw an accurate patched roundball......

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Round Ball
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 04:33:36 AM »
Well, through experience, round balls will shoot pretty well in fast rate twist barrels if you use lighter charges, like the 50gr charge above seams about right. In my T/C Renegade with the 1:48 twist rate, 70-80 gr shoots fantastic with round balls(.50). Now with a 1:66 twist you can go to 90-110 grain charge and be very accurate and earn a little more speed and foot pounds!! also, my said Renagade with the 1:48 twist rate shoots 370 grain maxi-balls with a charge of 90gr of Goex FFG powder very well. The 1:48 twist rate is a wonderfull compromise for both conicalls and round balls, but for straight sabots I would go with the 1:28-1:32 rate twist. Jack.