Author Topic: Anyone live near Beechgrove TN 37018, need a favor, thanks  (Read 1095 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Anyone live near Beechgrove TN 37018, need a favor, thanks
« on: April 17, 2008, 08:42:11 PM »
I've run into a kind of  a dead-end on one of my quests and need some information only a local person would know, regarding Beechgrove TN 37018 town and immediate area.  If you can help it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Anyone live near Beechgrove TN 37018, need a favor, thanks
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 01:40:04 PM »
cannonmn, i can put you in touch with the Beechgrove/Manchester TN. SCV camp72 that knows that area very well. If they don't know what you want, maybe one of their friends or family members can help. Just trying to be of help,Lance. Chaplain,camp1784,Stuart's Horse Artillery,Va.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 02:34:45 PM »
Hopefully you'll find someone CLOSE.  For me it's 395 or so miles.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 02:08:44 AM »
Thanks, I've made a bit of progress this AM and will know in a few days if I need more help there or not.

New topic:  I watched Bob Gillmor pour 600 lbs of hot bronze into many cannon molds yesterday out here in Old Fort OH, and got video.  Hope to have it on you-tube in a couple of days.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 12:00:15 PM »
Thanks, I've made a bit of progress this AM and will know in a few days if I need more help there or not.

New topic:  I watched Bob Gillmor pour 600 lbs of hot bronze into many cannon molds yesterday out here in Old Fort OH, and got video.  Hope to have it on you-tube in a couple of days.

Even with dial-up, I'm looking forward to that!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 08:31:29 PM »
RATS!  I had the video about done and "Microsoft Movie Maker" crashed on me and won't work at all now.  I looked online and a lot of other folks who have "Vista" equipped machines like mine are having similar issues.  Unf. "MS Movie Maker" isn't something you can just remove and re-install, doesn't work that way, so I have to fix the one I have.  Or maybe I'll have to splurge and buy one of the reliable commercially-avail. movie makin' programs.  Mebbe ah will.  P---sses me off.  How 'bout gettin' yer s__t together there, Mr. Gates.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 08:45:33 PM »
Vista is the problem.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 08:52:55 AM »
Microsoft has a service pack 1 available for Vista. Maybe that will help.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 12:04:45 AM »
Thanks.  I had put service pack 1 in when I got the computer and the problem with "movie maker" happened after that.  I downloaded the trial version of Sony Vegas, which is definitely not intuitive like the Windows product was.  The instructions on Sony are incomprehensible, must have been partially translated from Japanese or something.

Offline Dross Drunk

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 03:30:18 AM »
Help for Movie Maker Here.....

Vista is little more than a half baked operating system that Microsoft hurried into release for the US Gov. it has built in a computer equivalent to a lojack .

I might be able to help, due to the unstable nature of this software,and it's inability to get along with other programs, there are usually work around solutions when you have these types of problems.

I assume because of your statement about un install /reinstall not being an option, that this is an OEM installation of the movie maker software that came with the computer pre loaded.

Usually in this circumstance you were instructed to create "restore Disks" in case you have a terminal crash or corruption, or a restore disk was provided with the purchase, either way you can do what is called a destructive install of the operating system or a non destructive install, this option was also included with the XP systems, you would access this option upon reboot, after selecting to recover, options become available for destructive or non destructive installation, of course choose "NON" or you will lose all data on the disk,and send it back to the day you purchased it.

This option will restore all original software packaged with the operating system including the Movie Maker,,,,,

If that is not an option then go to my computer icon and open,when looking there you should see a drive lettered "D" this drive was created upon installation as a safeguard, it contains a complete copy of all critical system files, and can be used to restore functionality to corrupt systems, it is usually kept on a part of the disk that can't be accessed or moved making it always available.

If both of these options are out of reach or your skill level, then a much simpler resolution may be found, by doing a Google search using these key words in the search.... Movie Maker,Vista, data cabs, restore, location.

You could also add Microsoft or Help to that list of search words, but what you should find will be a Microsoft page or a hacker page that will instruct you how to browse the original CD or restore CD, and locate the cab files which contain the Movie Maker software, these cab files are usually numbered and many, but the location of the Movie Maker installation will be in one of them,and once located can be re installed directly from those cab files...

One more option I can think of would be to use the restore to previous date option, choose the date 1 day prior to your noticing the Movie Maker failing, and select restore to that date, you will not lose any accumulated files or work but it will undue any system updates that took place between then and now,including newly installed programs,and they would need to be re updated but that's just a couple of Microsoft update clicks ,and a fair trade for the fix I think, but at least one of these options should be available to you ,and get you back on your movie making way.....

Last option I can think of would be to go to my computer and open , right click on drive "C" and select options a pop up will deploy, then on the tabs up top choose tools, at that point select error checking scan now, and another pop up will deploy put a tick in both boxes 1. automatically fix file system errors,and 2. scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

This will tell you that it can't be done right now due to the operating system running ,and it will ask if you would like to preform this action upon re boot, select yes and reboot......you will want to start with the easiest,and least destructive of these options and work your way down the list........

If you have a need for more details  or another possible option, just reply to this, by then I will have done a search and might know more about it, but I think one of these will be your fix......I hope this helps and good luck.....
Your efforts towards 100% safety are nearly impossible,and to assume you have achieved it, is the height of folly........

Offline Dross Drunk

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 03:47:07 AM »
One More Thing

After doing a quick search it came to my attention that this is a common problem with Vista users, it appears that Microsoft included  with Vista a version of Movie Maker that is incompatible, and in order to regain functionality you will have to down grade the program , vista shipped out with version 6 of movie maker ,and you will need to down grade to version 2.6 trust me you will not be giving up much if anything, but it seems to be the fix that everyone is using ,the only requirement is that a version of movie maker was previously installed for the download to work.

So just do a search for Microsoft Movie Maker 2.6 download, and they have made it available as a fix for this, Movie maker was not a stand alone program, but this download was created solely for this purpose, and you will find it supplied by Microsoft themselves.

This is a much quicker fix than those I mentioned and from what I can tell those fixes wouldn't have worked because the version of movie maker is just not compatible with vista...thanks..Bill.....

this is the fix that everyone has been using that has come across your problem, and thats everyone that tried to use Movie maker with Vista....just one more time that their upgrade was actually a downgrade nothing new here...lol

heres the link to the file itself....  http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows-vista/movie-maker-vista.html

for certainty please check this out for yourself.. the file name is MM26_ENU.msi  File Size 7MB....good luck
Your efforts towards 100% safety are nearly impossible,and to assume you have achieved it, is the height of folly........

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 04:46:41 AM »
Thanks, I actually came across references to WMM 2.6 when I was looking for the solution, but the same note said "do not download WMM 2.6 if you are usining Vista that came with WMM already installed."  Or something like that which I interpreted to mean something terrible would happen if I did it.

Comment?

Offline leesecw

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 05:57:55 AM »
I tried the 2.6 downgrade with my vista and so far I have it working with some files I have but not all of them
If Guns cause crime, then mine are defective...Ted Nugent

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 06:14:38 AM »
Thanks, this is the verbiage from the MS download page that stopped me:

Overview
Movie Maker 2.6 is for Windows Vista users whose computer cannot run the Vista version of Movie Maker.

To test if your computer can run the Vista version of Movie Maker:

1. From the Start menu, click All Programs.
2. Click Windows Movie Maker.

If Movie Maker launches, you should not download version 2.6.

If you get an error message that says, "Windows Movie Maker cannot start because your video card does not support the required level of hardware acceleration or hardware acceleration is not available", download and install Movie Maker 2.6.

My WMM launches, but simply does not work when you try to make it do something.  However, so much stuff I've read on the MS "help" and "download" pages I've found to be false, I should probably just ignore this also.  Since my WMM doesn't work anyway, what could downloading another version on top of the nonworking existing one hurt?

For anyone who has not heard it by now, do not buy a Vista-equipped computer!  The program is very delicate and has to be defragmented almost every day, and fails often.  I'm very disappointed in it so far.

Offline leesecw

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 07:54:36 AM »
Thats the same error message I got and I downloaded the 2.6 downgrade anyways. It still doesnt work with some of my files though. Im also very dissapointed with vista so far. Windows has just released some of their software codes for vista very recently and hopefully some of my other stuff will work like my scanner. Good thing Ive got an old slow laptop with windows ME on it that I can do anything with it I want.  I have had some luck fixing bugs here though
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winvista 
If Guns cause crime, then mine are defective...Ted Nugent