Author Topic: Crack in Conversion Ring  (Read 525 times)

Offline Rodeo Rustler

• Trade Count: (0)
Crack in Conversion Ring
« on: April 13, 2005, 05:31:38 AM »
Well...it was fun while it lasted.  I have only shot about 60 rounds of light load wadcutters through my new 51 Navy R&D conversion and this weekend I noticed a hairline crack on top of the ring above the firing pin.  It hasn't shown up on the front of the ring yet, but it almost goes all the way through.  It is even starting below the firing pin as well.  

What could have caused this??  The hammer coming down on it I suppose.  I have never dry fired it.  Has anyone else had this problem or I am I the only one?  I'll try and post a pic later.  Thanks for the help.

RR

Offline ribbonstone

• Avid Poster
Crack in Conversion Ring
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 11:49:53 AM »
Send it back...may try calling and explaining the problem first (who knows, might get one on the way to you the next day)..they'll make good on it.

On a guess, it may be the new hardening process to make the case hardening.  Doesn't normally give trouble, but they may not have gotten the process bug-proof yet.

IF the system is working for you, then try to get just the ring...no reason to have to got through a cylinder re-fit when it's not needed.

Offline Rodeo Rustler

Crack in Conversion Ring
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 01:17:06 PM »
Well I contacted R&D and they had me send the whole gun back so they could look it over.  Thats pretty good customer service.  We'll see what happens.

RR

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
Crack in Conversion Ring
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 06:15:22 PM »
Sounds like you couldn't get much better service than that.  I haven't gotten my frame drilled yet, been too buisy getting ready for a show to spend much time out side the shop.  I do know from email corispondance that R&D definatly sounds like an outfit I'd like to do buisness with.

Sounds like the caseharding wasn't drawn back, just left hard, though that shouldn't have been a problem.  Since basic color caseharding is done by bringing the metal up to around 1500 deg. F., if I remember rite, in a carbon rich pak and then quenched in airated water the crack could have happened in the quench and gone unoticed till stress from firing made it spread.  Could have started as a very tiny crack that wouldn't have been noticable to the naked eye.  Water quench on high carbon steel is very stressful.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com