Author Topic: Cap N Ball Accuracy is Horrible  (Read 1593 times)

Offline gregszanyi

• Trade Count: (0)
Cap N Ball Accuracy is Horrible
« on: February 19, 2005, 06:45:29 PM »
Hello to All,

I received a Traditions 51 Navy .44 cal.  It shoots at least a foot high at 25 to 30 yards. Do you have any suggestions about what I can do to this peice to make it more accurate?

Thanks,  Greg in Missouri :(

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 12:21:43 AM »
File off the front sight. Solder on a higher sight.
I did this with a Zouave rifle. I used a piece of a silver ring for the new front sight.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline sharps4590

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 12:47:16 AM »
simonkenton is correct.  What I did with two of my 1860 Armys was take them to a local gunsmith when I lived in Jefferson City.  Jack made two new front sights from brass stock which were higher, as simonkenton said, then it was simply a matter of filing them in.  Groups from both would hover around 3 inches at 25 yards which is about as good as I can see anymore.  I'dm down to one 1860 as I traded the other.

We aren't that far apart, I'm in Rolla.

Vic
NRA Patron, 2006
NRA Endowment, 1996
NRA Life, 1988
NAHC Life, 1985
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Offline quigleysharps4570

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 02:28:43 AM »
Out of curiosity what powder are you shooting? Reason I ask is mine shot like that once when using some replica powder a friend had given me. Went back to black and it brought it back down.

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 05:49:33 AM »
All Colt clones and originals shoot high with that tiny bead sight. As others have said, have a higher sight installed. These were designed as combat guns, not target shooters. (aim for the belly button and hit em in the chest)
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline Flint

navy
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 05:51:30 PM »
It's not the accuracy that is your problem, it's the point of impact.  They are amazingly accurate, once you get the front sight lifted.  A Colt Navy type needs from 1/4 to 5/16 tall front sight to get on target, and a dovetailed blade type is the best way.  I have done it two ways, I used an Uberti 58 Remington dovetailed blade purchased from VTIgunparts.com, which is too tall, but cut down to about 1/4 inch tall with a straight back and radiused front looks good and shoots well.  I have also made them from scratch from brass using a Brownells dovetail cutter for the slot and the sight base both for a perfect match.  They could also be made from mild steel.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Jeff Vicars

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 05:12:14 AM »
The term "accuracy" is most often misused in the gun mags. "Precision" is grouping shots in a tight cluster. "Accuracy"is putting shots at the aiming point. I am guilty of misusing the word accuracy also.

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Avid Poster
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 07:20:21 PM »
I bought an old dime (1886) from a pawn shop that was not in collectible condition, but the date could be read. Cut it in half, and silver soldered it on my cut down 51. Works real well, and dressed up the gun some too. DM

Offline Bigdog57

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 03:39:45 AM »
I used a nickel coin to make higher blade front sights for my two 1851 Navy Piettas.  Now they shoot a 2.5" group dead-on at 25 yards.  I filed the rear sight slots open a tad too, improving the sight picture.

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 03:36:03 AM »
Glad I saw this post, I'm having the same problems with my Pietta '51 Navy.
How did you guys accomplish the soldering without getting the barrel too hot?  Did you remove the blueing before soldering?  Did ya use flux?

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Avid Poster
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 10:21:47 AM »
I used the hi force solder from brownells and their recommended flux. Works at a cooler temp. I had shortened my barrel and bead blasted mine, so there was no finish anyway. You should remove the finish before soldering anyway. Good luck. DM

Offline Bigdog57

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 09:12:33 AM »
:-)   JB Weld!  I love this stuff!