Author Topic: Centerfire Pellet Gun: Stupid, or Handy?  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Patriot_1776

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Centerfire Pellet Gun: Stupid, or Handy?
« on: December 08, 2004, 05:39:57 PM »
I'm curious to know, has anybody ever tried using 22 caliber pellets in a 22 caliber centerfire rifle?  The way I imagined it would be done, would be to something like this:

1.  Prime a casing (22 of any caliber).

2.  Insert pellet (any particular weight or design, as long as it is 22 cal) into case neck.

3.  Your ready to go.

Is that possible?  Is it reasonable to assume it would be accurate, and reliable?  I know it probably sounds stupid, but you never know whats out there.  I figured the primer alone would be sufficient to propel the pellet at reasonable velocities.  I would further say the sound levels would be less than a rimfire, but still offer excellent pest control abilities out to the farthest limits of a pellet gun.  But due to a lack of ability to test this extensively, I'm asking for someone who may have had this experience, whether its safe or not; how it performs; could it be effective for pests as mentioned above; or whether this would not pay-off in the long-run.  Thanks. :D     Patriot
-Patriot

Offline Buford

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
From a faulted memory.....
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 01:21:34 AM »
Patriot_1776, going from a faulted memory - I recall there was a simular firearm marketed by a company in Mexico.  It used a large rifle primer and a pellet. I am sure someone out there can help out with the research.  It would make a great light duty vermint gun........

Offline LouisV

centerfire pellet gun
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 12:49:33 PM »
I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have fired wax bullets from my .45 acp with just the primer and they will hit fairly hard. LouisV

Offline savageT

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 12:53:19 PM »
Sorry...........But that's been done already!  22 rimfire shells with no powder, only primers.  They just don't use airgun pellets, loaded w/22 bullets instead.

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 02:21:29 PM »
I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. I'd use a magnum primer, and verify the bore is clear before making another shot. I would also check the size with a set of calipers; I say that since I don't know the dia. of .22 cal air rifle pellets. Case size is a little critical, What I mean by that is that the .22 Hornet would probable work great, while the .220 Swift would have too much case capacity to make efficent work of it.
You might expermint a bit and get back to us, I'm curious to see the results. I doubt that it would make a good varmint gun, even if the varmint of choice was field mice, I just don't think you'll get the velocity you want. Informal shooting in the basement is a whole different matter, for that I think it will work well. Let us know.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline jschance

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 03:25:52 AM »
I used to do this with .22 Centerfires, particularly a .222 Contender, a .22 Hornet Contender, and a .221 Fireball XP-100.

Of them, the best accuracy was from the Hornet.  It was capable of hitting a sparrow at about 20 yards.  Using a regular small rifle primer, all that was left was a puff of feathers.  I was putting the pellets into the cases backwards, so it was like a big hollow-point bullet.

I tried modifying cases to use a 209 primer, but it was more propellent than the pellets could withstand.  They'd just blow apart.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 03:07:25 AM »
Seen something on useing pellets and primers onle in Hornet cases years ago. I played with it alittle but it`s been so long ago I forget what I was getting from it, that was back in the 1970`s.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 05:45:13 AM »
I've been doing this with my hornet using 209 primers, works pretty good
took a squirell at about 30yrds the other day, I get about 900fps with them which is in the air gun range with some of the better rifles. rifle magnum primers work well also but don't have near the punch and you have to use a priming tool with the 209 I use a punch to knock them out and just push them in with  my finger. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline S.S.

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 07:56:49 AM »
Every single time I tried the front of the pellet was blown off and
the skirt stayed in the barrel just ahead of the chamber.
There are places that you can buy
.223 diameter roundballs. they work pretty well.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 08:09:39 AM »
Aguila sells the 22 rimfire without powder, just primer powered.
Jm
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline coopershooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2005, 04:38:24 PM »
as someone else said augila has a 20gr bullet in a lr case with no powder.
 i use them all the time, and there great!
  i put a bb. in a .17 rem case it didn,t go through the barrel, but i thought about sizing a pellet to fit in the case. i didn,t think the pellet would survive the primer blast?????? pellets are not constructed for that kind of pressure, and are very soft! but, what if you put a felt cleaning pellet in the case neck behind the airgun pellet. perhaps with a touch of bullet lube.
 coopershooter.

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 01:55:42 AM »
A "BB" is .177". The 17 Rem takes a .172 bullet.

Why not just get a pellet gun?
JM :P
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 06:56:45 AM »
Careful with those Aguila COLIBRI rounds.
I have a long barrel rifle that they simply
do not have enough power to make it out of
the barrel of. Even with a 16 inch barrel the
velocity is only about 350 fps. The SUPER COLIBRI
adds about 50 fps. I can think of no ethical target
to use them on except paper and maybe a bumble bee
or a really aggressive Cock Coach.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Robert

Careful with those soft pellets.
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 07:10:35 AM »
Years ago I was being a wiseguy and just about ruined a 10-22 barrel.  I put a .22 pellet in and put in a blank for the charge. It melted the entire length of the barrel and nothing came out.
....make it count

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2005, 07:59:08 PM »
Robert wrote:

Years ago I was being a wiseguy and just about ruined a 10-22 barrel. I put a .22 pellet in and put in a blank for the charge. It melted the entire length of the barrel and nothing came out.

:shock:  :shock:   Ouch, that must have hurt for a while.  How did you get that out, if it was possible?

I thought something to the nature of a centerfire pellet gun may have been a rare or unsearched idea.  If done properly, it may be quite an interesting hobby variation.  But as I stated originally, currently I don't have the time, resources, or even the experience to start messin' around with different components and see what I can do with them.  Thanks for all of the tips, and opinions about this idea.  Quite enjoyable reading of other folks' experimental escapades. :D

-Patriot
-Patriot

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
NN
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2005, 02:24:32 PM »
YEARS AGO I HAD A RIFLE THAT SHOT PELLETS POWERED BY 22 BLANK IT WAS PRETTY POWERFULL HAD TO BUY GOOD PELLETS.SORRY I CANT REMEMBER THE NAME OF GUN OR MANUFATOR...

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2005, 03:44:49 PM »
Years ago (70's) i shot hundreds of them in a 22 hornet.  I'd use just a mag. primer, and push the pellet in (with my thumb) upside down flush with the mouth of the case.

To reload, i'd push out the primer, and start over, no sizeing needed.

Drilling Man

Offline maggot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2005, 12:41:32 PM »
How about a round ball load for .308? Anybody got one?

Offline coopershooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
.308 ROUND BALL LOAD
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2005, 05:50:52 AM »
MY DAD USED TO SHOOT ROUND BALLS OUT OF A 30.06. HE USED BLACK POWDER. BUT I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH.

Offline glock29

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 10:22:22 AM »
I'd have to go with STUPID on this one.
This has been done several times before with mixed results at best, usually dismal accuracy.
There was back in the early eighties a rifle that used primers and pellets in both 22 cal and 177 cal. It did not last long. The only thing this uniquely offered was that for some reason it was not classified as a firearm by ATF....dunno why as the primer provided the "FIRE"
This is one case of just because you can, does not mean one should do something.
A 22 Super Colibri shell accomplishes this same thing in one handy, self-contained package, and is much more accurate.
Go MAGNUM/MAX LOAD or GO HOME !    
Always use MUCH more gun than the minimum required to do the job.
Recoil is your FRIEND...It lets you know you are using something WORTHWHILE !

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2005, 10:27:45 AM »
I have used .177 pellets out of a 14 inch 17 Remington
.22 caliber pellets out of a 223 and 22 hornet contender barrels. they work well
I have used a mag, 209 primer to shoot a lead maxi-ball out of my 209x50 contender barrel it would launch that heavy bullet about 50 yards.

I have uses light charges with round balls out of my 45 colt and 375 jdj contender barrels.

they work well for small pest at close range

Offline boneguru

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
wow lotsa questions here
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2005, 05:51:11 AM »
have had limited success with the 22 pellet in a 22 hornet, works better with a 10" than a 21" of course, use a mag sm rifle primer, and high quality 22 pellet, size brass with expander ball removed, should be small enough, I use it in a T/C for problems in the yard, neighbors dont hear. good to about 12-18 yards.   the 30.06 load for lead ball is around 13GR  BP at least thats what my 24 T/C Encore likes.
SUA SPONTE

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2005, 07:19:49 PM »
I gotta disagree with glock29, I shoot alot of pellets out of my .22 hornet and its murder on tree rats out to 50 yrds and will shoot 1" at over that.
 I use 209 primers and it dos'nt blow out the skirt.I recovered one from a pine plank at 40+ yrds and the skirt was still intack. at 20yrds it will go thru that same plank. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Alan4620

• Trade Count: (4)
.22 Pellets in centerfire
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2005, 03:21:13 PM »
Check out Convert A  Pell (Loch Leven industries) They make adapters to shoot .22 Pellets out of 22 cal. centerfire calibers. I picked up a few on a whim awile back and they work really well. At close rage they will penatrate a 1/4" sheet of plywood. Shoot close gruops at 25 yards or so.

Offline Alan4620

• Trade Count: (4)
.22 Pellets in centerfire
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2005, 03:27:31 PM »
Check out Convert A  Pell (Loch Leven industries) They make adapters to shoot .22 Pellets out of 22 cal. centerfire calibers. I picked up a few on a whim awile back and they work really well. At close range they will penatrate a 1/4" sheet of plywood. Shoot close gruops at 25 yards or so.

I tried it with empty cases,but the pellet fell in too far. The adapter has a dimple in it to hold the pellet in place.
I have never had a pellet break up,but they say the better quality pellets work best,can even be put in backwards to help prevent this.  

They are fun,but you have to deprime with a small punch and it is slow.

They use 209 primers except the 22 hornet it uses a regular primer.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2005, 01:20:47 PM »
I would love to see them make the Convert A Pell  for the 17 HM2 and 17 hmr

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2005, 08:49:32 AM »
Thanks alot guys for all of the input on this subject.  I just picked up a 22 Hornet and some 22cal. pellets.  Would a standard small rifle primer have enough power to kick the pellet out of a 24" barrel?  Also with the 209 primers, just want to confirm here, aren't they shotgun primers (requiring a modification on casings)?  Or is it another type of small rifle primer under that name?  Thanks again.  

:D
-Patriot
-Patriot

Offline ShadowMover

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2005, 02:25:20 PM »
You may want to check out this link:
http://guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane2.html
and
http://guns.connect.fi/gow/ed.html
The site has lots of links but it is confusing. It has many links to very light loads and round ball loads. Explore and enjoy.

Offline Third_Rail

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.bigironbarrels.com/
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2005, 09:09:41 AM »
While not entirely on topic, this link is along the same lines.