Author Topic: 58 Caliber Huntsman???  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Tim50

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
58 Caliber Huntsman???
« on: March 08, 2005, 11:07:22 AM »
I just saw one in a shop. This is the first 58 cal I have seen. What would be a fair price for one of these in good condition? Does anyone shoot one of these? What type of accuracy can one expect & how is the recoil? Thanks for looking....Tim

Offline Hillbilly Jim

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
58 huntsman
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 12:03:10 PM »
Light rifle big chunk of lead equals recoil.  My 58 is not bad to shoot with round ball and patch but really thumps with a big conical.  I dont remember the load I used but it is plenty accurate for 75 yards. Best of memory about 3 inchgroup.  Just cant shoot open sights anymore so havent shot in a few years.
Hope this helps
Hillbill Jim

Offline Tim50

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 12:12:29 PM »
Thanks for the input Jim!!!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
58 Caliber Huntsman???
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 12:21:28 PM »
Tim50, check to see if its a screw in breechplug or the push in style. Some have been whacked in the head/eye/cheek area by the push in style breechplugs when the action opened upon firing. I understand this is what prompted H&R to stop making ML's years ago. All the new ones have the threaded style which has eliminated this problem. Some earlier ones had the screw in style and they would most likely be fine....I know others here have info and some have expierence with the older ones also. Hopefully they will jump in with their knowledge....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
jj
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 03:37:27 PM »
sold a 45 screw in plug real clean for 125$ got 120 out of 58 same condtion........not tack trivers like the huntsman/sidekick   but good enough with rb......kick not really that bad.....90 gr. rs loose......hope this helps,,,jb

Offline gone-hunting

• Trade Count: (5)
58 Caliber Huntsman???
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 06:10:55 AM »
If it is one of the older models with the screw in breech plug I have two of them. Change out the primer to work with a 209 primer and you will be in good shape. When they sold new in the early 70's they were $55 dollars each and they were the best thing that had come along that you could afford. Then there was the TC Hawkin and only god owned one of these.

Also, I would pay $125 for one in pertty fair shape.

Offline DanielWGriggs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
58 Caliber Huntsman???
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 08:12:22 AM »
I still have my .58 huntsman that I bought in 1976. It has a push in breech plug and uses the standard #11 cap with 75gr of Loose Bp and a tight patch on a .577 ball (pillow ticking) I am able to put 3 touching at 50yds from a solid rest. You do have to experiment to find your load. My buddy 29 years ago had one too and his load was 65gr of BP for best accuracy. His first deer with a muzzle loader was with that gun and he said he had never seen so much damage done. He was used to shooting with a 16 gauge shotgun.

Offline sc03a3

58 Caliber Huntsman???
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 09:39:03 PM »
i bought mine in 1973, mail order for 39.95 and still hunt blk powder seasons with it. great hunting rifle, light and easy to carry. i load mine with 70gr of loose blk powder and a 480gr mini, groups 4"@ 100yds[off a rest]. mine is the push-in breechplug. i haven't had any problems with my rifle  even with 32yrs of shooting. it's put a lot of vension on the table over the years.....sc03a3

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
58 Caliber Huntsman???
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 02:17:52 AM »
Do these older muzzleloading H&R's have the collapsible ramrod? If not how do the ramrods fit the gun and still be long enough to work? Thanks....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline gino

• Avid Poster
58 Caliber Huntsman???
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 03:17:55 AM »
Quote from: MSP Ret
Do these older muzzleloading H&R's have the collapsible ramrod? If not how do the ramrods fit the gun and still be long enough to work? Thanks....<><.... :grin:

My .58 Huntsman has the collapsible ramrod.
gino  :grin:

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
58 Caliber Huntsman???
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 04:37:04 AM »
Thanks for the info gino....<><.... :grin:

Offline gone-hunting

• Trade Count: (5)
58 Caliber Huntsman???
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 05:21:17 PM »
Just recently purchased a replacement colaspable ram rod from Ben Hubbard at hubbardsoutdoorproducts.com ; this rod is better than the original. He also makes parts for the H&R Muzzleloaders. If you need anything you can look him up or call 205-6965-0444.