Author Topic: 40 S&W case blowups  (Read 689 times)

Offline dwayne

• Trade Count: (0)
40 S&W case blowups
« on: April 03, 2005, 12:20:48 PM »
i am trying to get as much information on 40 S&W case blow ups
if you have had a case blow out or you know of someone who did please send me as much information as you can on this
if there are any pictures that were taken please send them too
i want to know if other makes of guns have this problem also

glock says that in almost al of the time it is a problem with ammo
if this is true then S&W COLT RUGER and any other make of 40 caliber guns is having this same problem

i believe that unless this is true then glock has a problem with the chamber not supporting the case like it should

thanks for whatever information you can share

kajunkrittter@aol.com

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
40 S&W case blowups
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 12:51:10 PM »
Years ago  Super-Vel had the same problem with their ammo.  They started with Nickel cases and jacket bullets. When the nose of the big hollow point round hit the steep feed ramps in most semi autos the round would get pused back in the case and reduced the case capacity causeing high pressure loads.  Supe Vel ammo blew up a lot of 1911's until Super Vel change the case to brass.  

Today we have a whole new bunch of shooters who are reinventing the wheel and relearning what we ald timers all relearned years ago.  Only todays bunch is guided by a bunch of Glock haters.

Take any modern factory round reseat the bullet in it a 1/4 to 3/8 inch or more deeper and I'll bet you can wreck just about any handgun made in a couple of rounds.

The 40 S&W is especially sensitive since it is a higher pressure round to start with.  I have seen reports of the 40 blowing in both S&W and Sig.  The Glock haters don't want you to know that.  They want you to think it only occurs in Glocks.  It doesn't.  It just occur more n Glock because the have a higher market share.

I shared this information one time on one of the boards that was dedicated tocollecting information about Glock blow ups and suggested they do some tests.  My post was deleted.  Never seen mentiion of the tests.

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
40 S&W case blowups
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 01:18:55 PM »
i have a h&k usp var 1 in 40 s&w an this past month i prob went over the 5000 rounds  in it an never had any thing like that happen yet, ive put over 2k though it with out cleaning it  except puting a bore snake in the barrel every few box's before it started geting nasty

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
40 S&W case blowups
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 02:35:01 AM »
dwayne - Glock is right, it isn't their pistols, it is the ammo.  There have been a number of instances of blown 40 S&W cases that have been written about.  In most, if not all of the cases I have read/heard about it is the result of reloads.  In these situations, either the bullet gets jammed back down into the case raising the pressure exponentially and blowing the case, if not the pistol or the case was double charged with a charge of fast buring powder.  

The 40 S&W is an ok round, but it is loaded to about max to get the bullet moving at any acceptable speeds.  Please remember that the 40 S&W is basically an oversized 9mm and runs at some fairly high pressures - that means you are normally at or near max pressures for the cartridge and when you are in that proximity of high pressures, problems can develop.

Yep, there have been instances of case blowups in the 40 S&W but I would look to the ammo, not the pistol.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline 1911crazy

40 S&W case blowups
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 11:04:31 AM »
Mikey;  The only time i have ever seen problems with cases was in a 45acp when they were throated I've seen the cases bulge at the rear a little but never blow out.  The throating was done to make them feed better because some were down right prone to feeding problems even when the 45acpFMJ ammo was used too.  I know there different calibers and i have seen the 45acp round push back in the case too but it never blew out.  The case is captured in the barrel it shouldn't blow out unless its too long then its pushed back far enough to where the thin part of the case is slightly exposed out of the chamber this could cause a blow out. Without seeing a picture I would say it blows out where the feed ramp is thus the case is too long??  If the thin part of the case is exposed out of the chamber lets say its a reloaded round that hasn't been trimmed could that be a problem too?  Then the bullet pushes back and bingo houston we have a problem that exposed area blows out where it is thin.   BigBill

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
40 S&W case blowups
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 03:08:38 AM »
BigBill -Yep, that's how I have seen blowouts too, right at the base that was unsupported by the chamber.  I have seen a couple of wadcutter guns (45s) used for target work with deeply throated barrels that had been worked down a bit to get the wadcutters to feed and when you threw a hot load into them that is exactly where the case would blow.

It works the same way with the 40 S&W, too or any semi-auto round when there is a lot of case left unsupported.  The 40 is a high pressure round and sometimes reloads run right at the high pressure mark and if you couple that with a deeply seated bullet any any unsupported case area you have a formula for a blowout.  Mikey.

Offline 1911crazy

40 S&W case blowups
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 04:46:22 PM »
One must be really careful when throating so it feeds those hollow points successfully.  I once had a  Springfield Armory 1911 45acp wouldn't feed those big 200gr soup bowl hollow points from speer.  The gun was new and the feed ramp was blued as soon as i removed the bluing and polished the ramp with simi chrome polish she feeds everything I send towards the pipe now which is a good thing for your CC gun.  I got into the habit of polishing every feed ramp now.  Even the nickle plated ramps seem to stop dead those big hollow points too.  If you never tried those big 200gr. hollow points in your 1911 45acp you should.  They sure do their job on those  1 gallon plastic jugs too.                                         BigBill

After seeing a guy get shot 5 times in the gut with a 45acp and live I started using those big hollow points stuffed to the max in my 1911 carry gun.

Offline jro45

40 S&W case blowups
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 07:37:28 AM »
I like my Glocks own two of them the G20 & G22. I have never seen a blow-up. I shoot in matches and there is a whole lot of Glocks shooting in those matches. I would guess that about half are reloads. What was already said would be proff enought for me.