Author Topic: Planted the garden this weekend (and a question or 2)  (Read 811 times)

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Planted the garden this weekend (and a question or 2)
« on: April 18, 2005, 03:05:16 AM »
Well, we got the garden planted this weekend. It is the biggest that we have done so far. I put in a chicken wire trellis for the beans and cucumbers, and also put in peas, tomatoes, carrots, onions, brussels sprouts, bell peppers, cantelope, a little corn, squash, and zucchini. Haven't tried the brussels sprouts before, but the wife likes them and as long as I don't have to eat them, I'm more than willing to grow some. But still, YUCK! I call those things cabbage poo. Anyway, now the work begins. Weeding and watering for the rest of the summer.  I'm really looking forward to the cucumber harvest. Our pickles from last year turned out wonderfully, so I'm going to pickle most of them this year. Most of the garden is new till, so it might not produce as well as we hope, but that will come along.
What do you all recommend for getting your soil in condition? I've got soil that tends to have a bit of clay in it, and I've been tilling in composted manure and a little sand in the spring. Should I turn in some perlite or peat also to help out?  And should I till and add stuff in the fall to help out?

Offline jvs

• Trade Count: (2)
Planted the garden this weekend (and a ques
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 04:16:44 AM »
I can only relate what experience has taught me over the years.

First a ph sould be done to tell you the condition of your soil.  7 is considered Neutral.  Below 7 is acidic and above 7 is alkaline.  Most vegetable plants like it within a few tenths of 7 (or neutral).    Some like it alot more acidic while other like it sweeter.

Around here Leaves are the very best thing to till under in the fall.  Any vegetable matter - Grass Clippings, Leaves etc. makes a dandy compost.  Depending on how big your garden is, it may take much more compost than you can produce in one year.  Vermiculite, Perlite and sand can make your soil looser but the add nothing to help the plant except giving room for the roots.  Compost does the same thing while adding nourishment.  

If I had to start over again, I would get a load of compost and spread it over the area where I want my veggies about 4 to 6 inches thick, then I would till it under until I had 50/50 mix of my soil and the compost.  This works real well with clay soils when mixed with Vermiculite or sand.  You may have a good source of soil conditioner right where you live.  I hear crushed corn cobs can help loosen hard soil.  You may still have to add compost or fertilizer but crushed cobs underground will help your roots.

Compost or Black Plastic would also be a good weed control measure when used above ground.
 If you want to run with the Wolves, you can't Pee with the Puppies.

Offline pinduck

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 04:56:48 AM »
Try adding some agricultural gypsum to help break down the clay, it's what I have always used in clay areas. Should be available at farm supply stores it is a granular product that you spread and then work into the soil, will take some time to work but will help soil condition.
NRA Life Member 1969

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 07:10:16 AM »
As strange as it might sound, I'll probably have to scrounge up some leaves in the fall. We are in a newer home now, and don't have any tree that makes more than 2 or 3 dozen leaves yet! Grass I can do, but will it be a problem if I have been spraying the lawn for weeds? Or should I wait to save the clippings from in-between treatments? I don't know if I've ever seen that addressed yet. Thanks for the info so far!

Offline jvs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 09:29:38 AM »
Quote from: flatlander
As strange as it might sound, I'll probably have to scrounge up some leaves in the fall. We are in a newer home now, and don't have any tree that makes more than 2 or 3 dozen leaves yet! Grass I can do, but will it be a problem if I have been spraying the lawn for weeds? Or should I wait to save the clippings from in-between treatments? I don't know if I've ever seen that addressed yet. Thanks for the info so far!

I personally would not use any clippings taken from treated lawns.  Most Commercial applications have ingredients that kill broad leaf plants, which is what gives you a plush lawn without crabgrass and clover.  If all you do is fertilize, then I would use the clippings.

I suppose it all depends on how long it takes for those chemicals to break down and become neutral.   If there's a toll free umber on the bag or bottle, the manufacturer should be able to tell you how long it takes to break down.

One other word of caution about lawn care products with herbicides:  They can have negative long term health effects on any pets that have access to your yard.   Ask your Vet about lawn care products.
 If you want to run with the Wolves, you can't Pee with the Puppies.