Author Topic: .308 Survivor Stuck Case  (Read 734 times)

Offline varmitbob

• Trade Count: (0)
.308 Survivor Stuck Case
« on: April 17, 2005, 05:03:12 PM »
I just purchased a .308 Survivor with a bull barrel.  I took it to the range yesterday, and shot some surplus ammo my brother in law had.  Each cartridge stuck, and I had to manual use a cleaning rod to remove the round each time.  Really annoying.
   I read your info about polishing the breech, and I did so.  I took the rounds I had fired, and they stuck even after the polish job with my dermal and buffing compound and cleaning it.  If I put the cartridge in and open it up before firing it, it throws the round 3 feet.  After I fire it, I have to manually eject it.
   The rounds are FMJ ones he bought at a gun show that were in sealed factory bags.  Are the brass casings weak and expand too much because they are military brass?  I love the rifle and it grouped quite well, but this condition is unacceptable.   Any help would be appreciated.
   I reload my own ammo, so I am open to any ideas.  My brother in law uses these rounds through his Remington 700 with no issues.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
.308 Survivor Stuck Case
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 05:18:35 PM »
Welcome aboard! :D  Milsurp ammo doesn't have a great track record in Handis, I'd either go with good handloads or factory ammo. Make sure the chamber is clean and dry, no oil at all.  If it has sticking problems with sane handloads or factory ammo after the chamber polish, send it to H&R and have em fix it, wouldn't be the first time an H&R chamber was out of spec.  The 308 is one caliber I don't have, but I have most others and don't have any sticking problems after the chamber polish.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JPH45

.308 Survivor Stuck Case
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 05:39:15 PM »
Been following this kind of problem for two years, have some experience with both 30-30 and 38-55 that shed some light

I think the problem is a tight chamber, too stiff a brass or too thick a neck on the brass.

My 38-55 experience.....

This rifle is actually properly chambered for the 38-55 which has a loaded case neck size of .398 max. The 375 Winchester is .400 I can get 375 Win brass into the chamber (barely), but it won't eject. I can run the loaded case back into the sizer enough to size the neck area down .002, and no trouble. (at least most of the time anyway) If I load 'em hot, once in a while a case sticks. I'm necksizing the brass only, so it starts out a little fat, when fired it don't shrink back as much as full length sized brass, and if the neck is running right at the limit that lets me chamber, but is hard enough to not let it shrink back, and the pressure is just right.....stuck case.

Get some new brass, Winchester, Remington, Starline, whoever, just NOT milsurp. If you're shooting preloads,get new namebrand factory stuff, devoutly avoid cheep stuff like Wolf in your Handi, devoutly avoidammo from small time makers who use once fired milsurp or other range brass to build their ammo on. That stuff is fine in a bolt rifle, wil give you fits in a Handi.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Ricci Price

.308 Survivor Stuck Case
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 05:39:17 PM »
Usually military cases are much stronger than others. But you could look at the case and check it for signs of high pressure or bulging or maybe to much head space, also inspect the case closely around the shoulder to the neck and see if there is any rings left on it after firing, I have a 25-06 ultra that was sticking I polished the chamber and it still would hang ,finally found it ,the cases had rings on it on top of the shoulder which where reamer marks so I took a fire formed case glued some 800 grit paper on the shoulder only!!! tapped out the primer hole so I could use a long bolt with the head removed to turn it and just cleaned that area up by hand turning I would not have done this but actually I could see the rings with a light in the barrel it don't hang anymore unless it gets dirty. If you are hand loading full legnth sizing might help.Make sure your cases are clean  from reloading grease or oil or what ever you use. There are so many things that can make a case hang in these guns that it is sometimes hard to find. You may also want to try a different brand of cases

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
.308 Survivor Stuck Case
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 07:41:17 PM »
VB:

I had one last year did the same exact thing...my advice...don't shoot cheap surplus ammo...oh...just in case you think it might not shoot real good otherwise...have a look at what mine would shoot factory ammo...in the first postal match we had...http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=34240&highlight=postal+match+jeff223

The problem most likely isn't the gun...my next door neighbor bought it from me...it shoots even better with cheap Winchester Power Point factory ammo......

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
sticking cases
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 11:46:21 PM »
There is probably nothing wrong with the rifle.The military cases are stiffer brass than commercial and that's what is creating your problem.I had the same problem with a Remington bolt action.Switch to hand loads or commercial and your problem will go away.
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
.308 Survivor Stuck Case
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 05:07:34 AM »
If I am not mistaken, NEF used to send a small note with each rifle, that flat stated to NOT use mil surp ammo in their rifles.

Everyone has to remember that ammo, like 5.56 NATO for example is loaded to higher pressures than 223 Rem SAAMI specs.  THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.

If you look at high end companies for AR spinoffs, they will chamber for 223 Rem or 5.56 NATO, but are not interchangable.

The NATO chamber will fire the 223 but not as accurately as the one chambered for the 223.

I realize this is 308 but the same rules apply.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
.308 Survivor Stuck Case
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 05:18:14 AM »
I never got the note in mine..but I've heard that before too....I wonder if this is going to be the case with the 7.62 X 39 as well.....

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
.308 Survivor Stuck Case
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 06:49:53 AM »
Yes, I got that note with one of my 223s. Man, I hope they don't do that with the 7.62x39s. There are a lot of kids and grandkids that are looking forward to riping thru that cheap ammo by the case. (Of course, it can't be parents and grandparents that want a load that doesn't need reloading!)
Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
.308 Survivor Stuck Case
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 08:28:37 AM »
I too got the note saying this as well. I haven't shot straight surplus but I have shot Wolf ammo through my 223 before and it went through fine. However I am not sure what kind of pressure these are rated at. Most have a problem ejecting them because they are steel cases, and I noticed the cases didn't expand all the way to fill the chamber like brass does, but that's to be expected. They do make a Handi quite dirty. I say stick with factory, or even better handloads.

Offline varmitbob

.308 Survivor Stuck Case
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 04:06:08 PM »
Thanks guys, I am going to get some new Remington or Winchester Brass and try some hand loads.  I really do think it has something to do with the brass because it ejects so well before the round is shot.  I do not know what the I.D. Should be on the barrel to compensate for the expansion, but trying the hand loaded ammo will surely tell the story.  I will make sure I reload it on the starting powder charge to eliminate the possibility of a maximum powder charge load.  If it sticks after this, I will call NEF.