Author Topic: The name is Bond. James Bond. Double-O Seven.  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Sir Knight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
The name is Bond. James Bond. Double-O Seven.
« on: April 17, 2005, 02:05:40 AM »
Well, I finally did it. I purchased a Walther PPK in .380 ACP. Went to the gunshop to buy a Kel-Tec P3AT. The gunshop that I normally do business with said that they didn't have any and refused to stock them. So I went to another gunshop and they had one in stock but the clerk who was waiting on me said that he wouldn't own one if his life depended on it and people would have to pay him to carry one.

That totally shot any confidence that I had in the P3AT. I'll have to sleep on it some more before I get one but for now I ended up buying the now classic Walther PPK instead which was just sitting there in the gun case calling out my name ...

... I've wanted one of these for a very long time (ever since the Mrs fell in love with my previous .380 -- the Browning BDA380 and made it her "regular gun") and finally gave in to getting one. Classic, is indeed a good way to descibe it. While one can tell that the gun is definitely getting on in years, its still amazing to think that it was designed so many years ago. Hopefully, I'll be able to hang on to this one as I noticed the Mrs was beginning to  'eye' it.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
The name is Bond. James Bond. Double-O Seve
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 02:28:29 AM »
Sir Knight - now that you have purchased the new Walther PPS, go get yourself a case of 380 ammo and break that baby in right.  She will probably be pretty stiff for about the first 500 rounds or so but should settle right into a smooth operation after that.

I have had the Walther pistol in just about every configuration they have made.  I have and have had P-38s as well as a handful of the PPKs, PPKSs and PPs - all in 380.  The PPKs and PPKSs were new, the PP was used (2 boxes of ammo).  Had to shoot the stuffing out of each of them before I was happy with them but then, oh boy were they nice to have with me.  

The newer ones have been redesigned by S&W to eliminate some of the hammer bite and a few of the sharp edges and I think they look great.  A recent Gun Tests article still showed them to be stiff when new, which is so like a Walther, but they are great.  

I found the best way to break them in, at least for me, was to go DA/SA for two shots until the magazine was empty and the action had smoothed up.  Oh yeah, get a whole bunch of extra magazines, they run empty pretty quick when you're havin' fun.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Japle

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 04:19:10 AM »
First, Bond's PPK was in .32.  The armorer called it, "a real stopping gun".   :-D

Second, P3AT owners like their guns more than gunstore clerks.  There's very little mark-up on Kel Tecs.  I've got 350+ rounds through me P3AT with no malfs.  I carry it every day (often as #2 to a 9mm or .45) loaded with Cor Bons.

John
Cape Canaveral
John
Cape Canaveral

Offline Sir Knight

• Triple-F Ranch
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 04:39:02 AM »
Quote from: Japle
First, Bond's PPK was in .32.  
I knew somebody was going to mention that  :-D
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 07:33:35 AM »
I shoot a PPK/S from when Interarms was importing them. When the gun was NIB is wouldnt feed worth a darn. I sent the gun back, they reutrned it in short order and haven't had a problem since. It's a dandy little gun. I also put a set of Hogue KingWood grips on it. This was my CCW for years using a Galco RG204 IWB.

Take Care,
Scott

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 10:18:19 AM »
I have had one stovepipe in my P3AT and that was int he first magazine. It's certainly not a Walther, but it's with me every day. Have fun with your new pistol.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 03:12:21 PM »
Hi,

I've also got quite a few walthers in every configuration except a TPH (25acp).  Shoot'm alot to break in and have a ball!

Doug
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 03:19:09 PM »
I have a 1939 Weirmack[sp] PP in 32 and chromed that I have carried for years,always dependable,like shooting a cap gun but with the new rounds now equal to the old 38's
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 03:37:22 PM »
The PPK is a very nice pistol, no doubt about it.  

However, gun counter advice is like internet advice, trust but verify.  The KelTecs do have a problem with trigger malfunctions.  If your gun is going to break, it will probably happen within the first few boxes of ammo.  KT has been very good about fixing/replacing the guns that do malfunction.  Other than the trigger issue, I've not heard about any other function related problem.  Some folks gripe about the KT sights, but those are easily fixed with an inexpensive add-on sight that super glues in place.  

Given the low profit margin on KT pistols, I don't doubt that some gun store clerks are focussing on the negative news about them.  My own gun store keeps them in stock, because they're popular enough for the sheer sales volume to make up for the lower profit per unit.
NRA life member

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 04:58:39 PM »
two words..   Hammer Bite

lol  Hope you dont have fat hands.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 01:05:29 AM »
:agree:  :agree:  :-)
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 03:22:21 AM »
I thought Bond's first gun was a Beretta 25 that he was required to surrender when M decided to go with the Walther 380.

Offline jhm

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 03:29:52 AM »
Mikey :   You are correct about the Baretta and the cal. :D    JIM

Offline Blunderbus

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 01:08:06 PM »
Yep. According to Sir Ian Fleming, it was a "Beretta .25 with the skeleton grip."

I suspect Fleming upgraded Bond's weaponry because he was taken to task by real world ballisticians.

I remain uncertain as to what a "skeleton grip" is.  Any ideas out there?

Blunderbus

Offline HotGuns

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 03:18:48 PM »
The "skeleton grip" is NO grip.

The grips are removed and the gun is used as is. Aids in concealability is some models.

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 05:09:26 AM »
My first handgun, which I’ve owned (and still have) since 1958, was a Walther PPK made in about 1935 complete with the Nazi swastika inside a wreath being held in the talons of an “adler” (eagle) on the side of the barrel extension and the right side of the slide in 7.65mm aka .32 ACP.

I am almost sure that the 7.65mm or, as we here in the USA call it, the .32 ACP was the original caliber of James Bond’s PPK.

As it happens, I also own and carry a Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 ACP (aka “9mm short”).  I bought the Kel-Tec because I was tired of the much heavier PPK pulling “down” on my pants.  The PPK weighs 25.5 ounces loaded while the Kel-Tec weighs only 12 ounces loaded with 7 rounds (weighed on a very accurate “grams/ounce” scale at my workplace) of a considerably more powerful caliber (.380 vs. .32).

My Kel-Tec malfunctioned a few times when it had less than 100 rounds run through it, but it now has had more than 250 rounds run through it and I’ve had NO mal-functions in over 125 rounds.

The PPK is, without a doubt, a fine pistol… but don’t knock the Kel-Tec P3AT just because it costs less than $300… I’ve found it to be a great little “concealed carry” pistol as well… and at less than HALF the weight of the PPK!!!

Just my 2¢ worth…

Strength & Honor…

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sir Knight

• Triple-F Ranch
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2005, 05:55:16 AM »
Quote from: Ron T.
... but don’t knock the Kel-Tec P3AT just because it costs less than $300… I’ve found it to be a great little “concealed carry” pistol as well… and at less than HALF the weight of the PPK!!!
I wasn't 'knocking' it, I was expressing concern and not because of the price but because I was able to see the grip bend when I squeezed it hard and I can't do that with any of my other guns.

Although based on what I'm hearing, I'm giving serious consideration to giving the Kel-Tec a second look.