Author Topic: Who made my Rogers & Spencer?  (Read 724 times)

Offline unspellable

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Who made my Rogers & Spencer?
« on: April 27, 2005, 03:50:56 PM »
I have acquired a used Rogers & Spencer.  It has a very very good trigger pull, don't know if it's original or it has been worked on.  The hammer cocking action is a little klutzy.  You have to go past the sera a bit to get full carry up.  Lock up and alignment are very good.  Surface finish on the frame is shows no eveidence of having been polished.  I have yet to try shooting it but it's giving off good vibes.

The problem is there is no maker's name on it, not even so much as a maker's code mark.  It does have Italian proof marks.

The barrel is milled, that is it has little ridges going around it like the ridges on the edge of a coin.  Don't know if they are like that but I've seen pictures that didn't look that way.  Hard to tell from the pictures though.

So who made it?

Offline Cheyenne

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 06:35:35 AM »
As far as I know, Euroarms was the only one making these.
Duelist may be coolist, but it takes BALLS to shoot Frontiersman!

Grand Army of the Frontier #4

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 07:03:56 AM »
This gun is available in kit form--fully assembled and firable--but rough on the outside and usually needing some de-burring inside. It comes blued
but with plenty of tool marks showing. Sounds like you might have one of these. If so, they make a really nice project and a very accurate revolver.
To the best of my knowledge, Euroarms is the only manufacturer, and quality is quite high.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
R&S
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 08:11:19 AM »
So what kind of polish would the frame have on an original R&S?

I took the milled effect on the barrel to be deliberate, but maybe not.  ordinary machine marks would not be as prominent.  It is blued.

The grips do look a bit unfinished.

Offline ribbonstone

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 11:52:15 AM »
Last Pietta manual I looked at was a genearl purpose manual that covered several guns...in the coverd guns was a R&S.  Have to assume that as they list it  and parts diagram it, they are also making them.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 02:10:06 PM »
It really does sound like a kit gun. That's good news in my opinion. The gun should have a high polish finish--at least 600 grit. You may be able to get rid of the proof marks when you finish the gun. A nice blued finish on all the parts seems to be the proper finish. These  are nice accurate guns
and well worth the time it takes to do a good job finishing one off.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 02:12:23 PM »
It really does sound like a kit gun. That's good news in my opinion. The gun should have a high polish finish--at least 600 grit. You may be able to get rid of the proof marks when you finish the gun. A nice blued finish on all the parts seems to be the proper finish. These  are nice accurate guns
and well worth the time it takes to do a good job finishing one off. I think
Dixie sells a kit version for around $300.00. They are not cheaply made guns.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member