Author Topic: Models of 1861 SIEGE MORTARS  (Read 1049 times)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Models of 1861 SIEGE MORTARS
« on: April 13, 2005, 09:44:10 AM »
Have any of you who live in the east examined one of these mortars, in particular the elevation system?  The tubes have notches on them and there is a rotating shaft towards the front of the mount but I cannot determine how/if they are connected.

Thanks in advance.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Models of 1861 SIEGE MORTARS
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 11:43:08 AM »
Quote from: GGaskill
Have any of you who live in the east examined one of these mortars, in particular the elevation system?  The tubes have notches on them and there is a rotating shaft towards the front of the mount but I cannot determine how/if they are connected.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sure there's a photo somewhere, but I have yet to see it.  I'll get over to Petersburg one day and check it out.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline CU_Cannon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 05:12:42 PM »
There is a good size mortar in front of the old armory in Saratoga NY.  I think it is an 1861 8" or 10".  If I get a chance I'll see if I can get some pictures for you.  If you want I could get some dimensions too.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 07:56:08 PM »
George,

I don't have a direct answer for you. I can only offer to take some detailed pictures for you next month  if this mortar is on the range.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 08:50:02 PM »
That's a nice one.  If it is an 8", I have the AOP plans and there is no elevation mechanism on it.  I have inspected the mortar pictures at cwartillery.org and it appears that the seacoast mortars have the piece I am thinking of (the perforated wheel at the bottom under the trunnion) but not the siege mortars.  The seacoast mortars are much heavier than the siege mortars.

13" Seacoast Mortar (the Dictator was one of these)

10" Seacoast Mortar

10" siege Mortar
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 01:01:08 AM »
Here's a hint on how the  13' seacoast's were elevated (both pictures taken from one of the sites posted in RESOURCES sticky).

13" Seacoast at Yorktown
[/url]

13” Seacoast
[/url]
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 06:10:29 AM »
George,

I have a William Green drawing of a 13 inch  M-1861.  It has some good detail of those wheels and the axle they mount on.     Those two wheels mount on an eccentric axle.  Each wheel requires two hand spikes one to turn the axle down and a second to turn the wheel.  Green says they are used to move the gun back into battery after firing.  

The drawing also show the elevation hand spike.  What looks like a lifting eye in the center of the mortar bed id really a fulcrum for the elevation spike.

The Mortar at Petersburg does not have the wheels.  

George if you would like a copy of the drawings drop me a PM with your email address and I will send you a copy.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 07:58:43 AM »
I was kind of getting the feeling they were wheels for movement rather than for operating an elevation mechanism after looking at the pix above.  Thanks for confirming that.  Makes construction simpler since I don't need them.

Thanks for the drawing offer.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 08:58:44 AM »
Ah yes.... but think of all the Rube Goldberg possibilities involving those wheels !!!!!
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 03:08:35 PM »
Ran across this picture of a model... it is pretty self explanatory as to how elevation was adjusted.

A simple handspike inserted through a loop and engaging those recessesses on the back of the barrel.

Scroll back up a couple of posts in this thread and you will see the same thing on one of the historic photos.
Evil Dog

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 03:27:48 PM »
Quote from: Evil Dog
Ran across this picture of a model... it is pretty self explanatory as to how elevation was adjusted.   ...  A simple handspike inserted through a loop and engaging those recessesses on the back of the barrel.  Scroll back up a couple of posts in this thread and you will see the same thing on one of the historic photos.

That was my inference when I mentioned 'hint'; your shot of the model is more definative - thanks.

So what held it in place?  Friction and balance?
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 03:56:32 PM »
So what held it in place?  Friction and balance?  I rather doubt it as it would probably have to be repositioned after every firing due to recoil forces.

This is entirely a guess, but I should imagine that plate was held between some sort of bracket.  Of course that plate probably weighed a lot more than I'd ever care to try lifting.

Hmm.... taking a closer look at the historic photos and that model there is what appears to be a line of bolts (or nuts or rivits) running vertically right about where that plate would be oriented.  The same on the photos of the 8" siege mortar currently being offered by Hern Iron Works.  That probably has a LOT to do with keeping that plate in place.
Evil Dog