Author Topic: 12ga Cyl. Bore vs Mod.Choke w/slugs  (Read 514 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
12ga Cyl. Bore vs Mod.Choke w/slugs
« on: April 26, 2005, 12:06:55 AM »
Have any of you ever compared accuracy and characteristics of 12ga slugs fired from the same gun with these two types of chokes.  Just wondering how the slugs react from a Mod choke barrel as compared to a Cyl. bore barrel.  I know shot patterns wider from the Cyl bore, but what about range and POI with the Mod. choke...is it a lot different from the cyl. bore or is it  not enough to notice.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
12ga Cyl. Bore vs Mod.Choke w/slugs
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 01:28:58 AM »
I do recall someone postiing their accuracy results with smoothbore mod choke slugs. Try a search for "slug"

I CAN tell you of my experience with Foster slugs and different chokes. However, it is for 2 different guns for the same slug, and it is for 16ga, not 12.

* Remington 16a Slugger rifled slug, 1600fps, 4/5 oz

*Custom Mossberg model 190,bolt action,  rifle sights,  20" bbl smoothbore, cyl bore (no choke)
    50yds: all on an 8x11" target, some touching, but mostly spread out. Best results from a COLD barrel.
    100yds, some on the 8x11 target, but some not even found. Very "hit or miss" :roll:

Custom Winchester Model 12, pump action, rifle sights, 28" smoothbore, full choke opened to somewhere between imp. cyl and mod.
     50 yds:  4holes touching , 1 1/2" grp, #5  about 2" off from that, total 3" or so.

100 yds:  1 1/2" low, 4" group.

For the Remington Slugger, some choke seems to work well. Note that on the box, mod choke is recommended.
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!