Author Topic: New sig P226  (Read 482 times)

Offline HouseofCash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
New sig P226
« on: May 11, 2005, 01:22:35 PM »
I know I have been into many convos. about 1911s vs. other handguns. Well, I own many 1911 Springfields, mostly there highend models. I own/have owned Kimbers.

Ill start by saying I think 1911s are better then most Glocks. But, some Glocks like the 34, 22, or even the 17 are pretty close the a 1911. The more I shoot these guns the more I like them. I can see now how some people like the Glocks more.

But, I will tell every one this. I bought a Sig P226 yesterday in 9mm. It has got to be one of the best guns I have ever shot. It is just a smoth solid pistol. I think I found a new carry gun.

I would like to think that 1911s are still "top of the food chain". But, Im starting to think that other pistols of today like Sig, Glock or H&K might be a better carry gun.

What do you all think?

Dave.
GSSF Member

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
New sig P226
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 04:39:12 PM »
Why not choose a bigger caliber personal protection?

What is better… That depends on where you stand in the argument. If we have a gun that is 100% reliable can we do any better? After we surpass the reliability requirement we get to things like ergonomics, aesthetics, ease of operation etc… Guns are like shoes, the same shoe doesn’t fit everyone pleasingly.

I personally believe a revolver is the best PD gun one can have even though I have both and carry an auto more.

For autos and all things considered the Glock may icing the cake. They are light, rugged and very simple to operate. All you do is pull the trigger. There are no gadgets or any fancy garb to confuse someone during a stressful situation when our brain isn’t connected to muscle movement like it should be.

My personal preference for an auto is the 1911 style. I like them, if, for no other reason than being proven and time tested. I also like these guns because they are maintainable and replacement parts are readily available. They take a little more exercise to manipulate but we really should not be carrying a gun if we have not practiced enough for our movements and actions to become second nature.

There were just a few scattered thoughts.

Take Care,
Scott

Offline HouseofCash

• Avid Poster
New sig P226
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 10:24:38 PM »
Why not choose a bigger caliber personal protection?

I own .22LR, .380, .357MAG/SIG, 9MM, 10MM, .40S&W, .45ACP, .44MAG, .50AE, 5.7FN and .25ACP.

I am not scared to use a 9MM for personal protection. I would like to think that although the .45 has more stopping power, most people will also be stopped by the 9MM. I mean, even a 300 pound man is not going to keep hitting you in the face after you just put 2 rounds of 9MM HP in his rib cage point blank and it came out his back, ripping his wind pipe, cracking his ribs at the front and back of his body and putting a hole in his lung.

I used to have alot less fath in the 9MM. Not any more.

Like I said, Im one of the biggest 1911 fans out there. But I can see why there not used in LE, CIA, or the FBI as much any more. I know there still used, but not as wide spead.

As of now I still carry my 1911, till I get fast/good with the Sig. Then I will most likly carry the Sig. It is lighter and has HIGH-CAP mags. . Plus being able to carry in DA/SA is nice.

Dave.
GSSF Member

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
New sig P226
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 07:39:17 AM »
A buddy of mine owned a P229 in 357 Sig and handled it well enough to drop whitetails on a drive. I personally seen him place three rounds in the rib cage before the deer had a chance to leap twice. Yes, he had good reflexes but the gun just seemed to point nicely and effortlessly when he let me use it. Good choice Dave. I personally have a Combat Commander in 38 Super but love the Sigs too.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline PeterF.

• Avid Poster
New sig P226
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 02:39:12 AM »
HoC:  Have you thought about trying the SIG 220 (.45)?  Doesn't have the hi-cap, but does have the same mechanical function (DA/SA, etc.), and (IMO), an even better grip (some say better than the 1911) ... and it's .45.

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
New sig P226
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 01:19:02 PM »
Dave;

I think you made a fine choice for a carry pistol. That Sig P-226 is probably one of the most accurate nines out the box. I had a P-226 a while back. I know I put over 15,000 rnds through it and it was as accurate then as it was when I bought it. And I also like the snap in a nine over the crawl of a 45, I seem to shoot better with a nine. I still have my P-225 single stack 9mm. And carry it everywhere. The smaller frame seems to fit my hand better.
Load the P-226 with some 124gr. HP's in +P and you have a winner there.
Way to go Dave!  :grin:

Dennis  :D

Offline rockbilly

New sig P226
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 05:15:29 AM »
:wink: Good choice.  Over the years, I have owned or shot most everything on the market.  That said, I think Sig is one of the finest firearms I have ever handled.  You have a well made, accurate and very reliable carry piece.