Author Topic: Anybody use Mosquito proof clothing?  (Read 1053 times)

Offline reyn 61

• Trade Count: (0)
Anybody use Mosquito proof clothing?
« on: April 12, 2005, 11:24:17 AM »
I was wondering if anyone uses it and can recommend where to buy? Can you see through the headgear to use a scope? Im wanting some for next squirrel season. They were so bad this year Deet didnt last.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
bug suit
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 05:20:08 PM »
I bought a Shannon's bug tammer suit and covered myself from head to toe. I got mine at Bass Pro shops but I think Cabelas sells them too. Bass Pro has their own brand but if you try them on side by side the Shannon's suit is much better. The extra cost is well worth the difference unless you just want to use the suit for one year.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline iiibbb

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 05:19:12 AM »
I'm a forester and work in swamps.  I can't use deet because it tends to give me the shakes (I use it when absolutely desperate).  I just wear regular clothes underneath coveralls (Wahls etc) treated with Permanone aka Permethrin aka Repel(tm).  One can will treat 2 pairs of coveralls and will generally last until the next laundrying unless you get soak.  If you take a iron-on patch you can seal shut the access holes to your inside pockets. The twill of most coveralls is dense enough mosquitos can't easily bite through it.

The hitch is you must treat the clothing and let it sit over night before it's ready... you can't just put it on in the morning.  Do NOT put it directly on your skin.  It's safe once it's bonded to the clothing, but wet it's still an issue (This is the same insecticide that they use to treat lice or scavies BTW)

This works for mosquitos, ticks, and chiggers (if you tuck your pant legs into your socks.  On top of that I wear a boonie cap and a army-surplus mosquito net.  A pair of leather gloves and you're all set.

That's my rig... and I've used it in the most hellish mosquito-ridden areas I think you can imagine.

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 07:50:32 AM »
I use a Bug Tamer Plus parka. It has a flip over headnet that you can see thru. I never got the pants to go with it. They don't seem to like my legs - go figure. I ordered mine direct from Shannon Outdoors. Don't waste your time and money on the BPS or Cabelas bug suits.They're crap.

Offline williek

Blood sucking bugs!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 09:01:29 AM »
I'm from Minnesota. Land of 10,000 Lakes and 100,000 swamps and God only knows how many mosquitos.
I have tried many different things and finally came up with something that works for me when they are really bad.
I had a daughter sew me a loose fitting parka with hood from very light cotton material (white)
I give the material a heavy spraying of 27% deet. Place it in a plastic sack to soak up the deet and take it out to wear. I place it back in the sack after wearing.  I only have to renew the spraying a couple of times per summer.  (About three weeks in Minnesota)  If my wife washes it I have to respray.
I carry a pull over head net if they get totally out of hand.
It works quite well.  
williek