Author Topic: Two Star questions  (Read 674 times)

Offline The Blade

• Trade Count: (0)
Two Star questions
« on: February 16, 2003, 09:11:57 AM »
I got my Star luber from an elderly gentleman that was getting out of reloading, so I have no instructions or manuals with it.  How do you:

1.  remove the dies from this machine?  All I can figure out is to drive them out from the bottom, or pry them out from the top;

2.  line up the die with a bullet so that you don't get lube all over the bullet's nose or base?  Is it trial and error adjustments on the depth of the punch?  If so, I tend to goo up alot of bullets before I get it right...

Thanks for the info,

The Blade

Offline Graycg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (74)
Two Star questions
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2003, 10:56:30 AM »
Blade,
  to remove the dies, there is a special die remover tool that you can get from Magma engineering.  They can sell you  one for around $12 last time I looked.  You might want to go to their website and see what it looks like, you may have it already and not know what it is,  strange looking device.  
   As for adjusting the placement of the lube on the bullet, you are correct, it is by trial and error, adjusting the bullet top punch up or  down to get the lube into the grooves and not on top or bottom of the bullet.  If your lube dies have more than one row of holes in the die, you may need to block the holes on one of the rows with #9 lead shot.
  Once you learn how to use the star, you will never want to use any of the others again!  It is sooo sweet!

You might want to contact John Paul at the following email address, he used to work for Star doing rebuilds.  He has some dies and maybe even instructions for your machine.

coffeyn1@juno.com

Good luck!
 graycg
"Secretly you want me on that wall; you need me on that wall"  
 Colonel Nathan Jessup

Offline The Blade

• Trade Count: (0)
Two Star questions
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2003, 11:13:36 AM »
Graycg,

Thanks for the info.  I may very well have one of the die remover tools, as I have a bunch of stuff from a former Star user.  I could not find the picture of the die remover tool on their website, but I'll go through my box of stuff tonight and see if anything looks useful for removing dies.  

What does it look like?

I, like you, am real happy with the Star machine.  I just get frustrated trying to get the die set up in the right position to correctly lube the bullets.  I suppose that as time and experience go on, I'll get better at it.  Until then, maybe I need to change my handle to "Goo."

Thanks again,

The Blade

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Two Star questions
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2003, 11:25:35 AM »
you got anothe pm pal
blue lives matter