Author Topic: Another New Handi for lik2hunt  (Read 706 times)

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Another New Handi for lik2hunt
« on: April 24, 2005, 02:00:39 AM »
Needed to get another Handi after selling my 7x64 Brenneke to Quickdtoo so after much debate between the .223 Ultra or the .243 Ultra, I settled on the .243, actually Wal-Mart couldn't get the .223 so I got the .243. Apparently SportsSouth didn't have any of the .223's in stock. I really think I'll be happier with it anyway, great for varmint size bullets down to 55 grain and great for deer rounds in the 100 grainers. I needed an H&R for the upcoming prarie dog shoot ( to carry along with my 30-30) so this one will work great. Should be here one day this week and I only owe another $15 and it'll be mine. I got in, hopefully, ahead of the price increase too.....$249.96 total, started out at $230.32, I'll know for sure when it arrives. Already have a brand new Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 all set for it too.
Anyone have a good load for the 55 to 58 grain bullets for one of these? Also I have found that the monte carlo stocks don't work well for me so I will be offering my cinnamon laminate buttstock for trade for a full size non-monte style in the cinnamon laminate. Hand-holicism still survives in OKla.
:D
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Deadeye47

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 03:04:55 AM »
Congratulations Lik2hunt...your kinda taking it down to the wire on a rig for the big PD shoot arn't ya??? :roll: I have never shot a 243 but I'm sure you'll get a few suggestions on here....I sure wish I had a regular comb stock to trade ya for one of those Monti Carlo laminates....but ...I don't :(
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 03:21:32 AM »
congrats on the new gun !!! i'm with deadeye i think your cutting it a little close. i can help you with the light loads the only one's i used was the 87-100 . we'll have to make sure we're in the same group for at least one day so i can see it in action.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 04:27:08 AM »
Badnews Bob was shooting some 58gr Vmaxs in his I believe.  Don't know what kind of accuracy he got.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 05:03:53 AM »
Congrats Lik2hunt!!! :D  You're gonna have fun with the .243, sure hope it shoots as good as a bunch of the others here, it's one of the best shooters I own!!!! I'm gonna be workin on a couple loads for mine, the 55gr CT Ballistic Silvertips in a handload and the Hornady 58gr Moly Vmax factory ammo, I'll letcha know as soon as I do!!!! :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 05:35:53 AM »
Way to go Like2hunt...I won't be much help on your data in time for the PD shoot...but I should have some data by deer season with some 95grain CT Ballistic Silvertips...let me know how that factory 58 grain v-max shoots...I got a real nice set of uncheckerd walnut stocks on my 12 Ga TDC that might work for ya... :wink:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 06:10:07 AM »
I'm gonna pick up a box of Hornady's 58 gr. V-max loaded factory stuff and hopefully this will be the ones for the PD shoot, if they work out then I'll get a few boxes. Just kinda hoping for a one-time , on-the-money handload that would work, probably just dreaming to have one worked up in time tho. But before deer season rolls around again I'll be ready with some good 90-100 grain loads.

Mac - I didn't think you were interested in trading those stocks, I would consider a trade for a set of those nice checkered walnuts that come on the Topper Deluxe Classic tho.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 06:53:05 AM »
Mine aren't checkerd...but they are pretty :grin:

Mac

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 05:27:09 PM »
Picked her up Saturday for the grand total of $249.96! Finished tonight getting her cleaned out of all gunk, a minimal amount on this one I might add, patched out the bore with Sweet's, dried, then Flitz for 50 passes, dried, Sweet's two more times, dried, then Rem Oil, then alcoholed the chamber to remove any residue of the Tri-Flow, that I used after the brake cleaner, or any Rem Oil that might have gotten into it. Mounted the Bushnell 6-18x50 and she looks SWEET! Picked up a box of the loaded Hornady ammo in their 58 gr. V-Max Moly coated on Thursday. I'm off to do some shootin' either tomorrow or Tuesday depending on the weather. Hope the V-Maxes shoot sub-MOA at 100, if so then it's out to 200 to see how they do. Can't wait to bust some P-dogs into chunks with this one in June. After that it'll be my range deer gun, probably with a 95 gr. bullet and handload.
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 05:29:56 PM »
Forgot to add that this a brand new HV receivered gun. Trigger pull is about 3 pounds, I'm guessing. I'll try to get over to Digger's to test it in a day or two.
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Donaldo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 05:30:51 PM »
Hey Like2,
Try to get your hands on some Berger 68 grain molys.  I have two 243's and they shoot great in both.  I can't remember the exact load but it is in the middle of the Varget grouping.  I am convinced that the cheapest part of shooting is the bullet.  I will not shoot anything anymore but Amax, SMK and Berger.  They are not that much higher than run of the mill bullets.  In fact in my 223 bolt gun I am getting ready to go to benchrest quality bullets.  You can get Fowler customs for about $17 per 100.  These are hand made custom bullets.  Shoot the best and expect the best....if you do your part.
Luke 11:21

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 06:47:19 PM »
Glad you got it home and set up John..let us know how it shoots for ya...

Mac