Author Topic: Picture!!  (Read 721 times)

Offline Smoothbore

• Trade Count: (0)
Picture!!
« on: April 28, 2005, 01:02:14 AM »

Here is a picture of my latest creations from the past few weeks.  For size reference, the largest has a barrel length of 9.5".

Smoothbore

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Picture!!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 01:21:16 AM »
I see lots of hours doing meticulous work on those little beauties!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline rays89

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Picture!!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 01:33:54 PM »
Those are some real nice cannon, Im wondering if you can get into detail on how did you make the wheels on the field cannon. That part has always been my weak point Or should I say extremely time consuming point. I want to post a pic of my field cannon, But I can seem to figure out how to upload. I think the wheels took as much time to build as the the time to build the rest of the cannon combined.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Picture!!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 02:47:04 PM »
Quote from: rays89
Those are some real nice cannon, Im wondering if you can get into detail on how did you make the wheels on the field cannon. That part has always been my weak point Or should I say extremely time consuming point. I want to post a pic of my field cannon, But I can seem to figure out how to upload. I think the wheels took as much time to build as the the time to build the rest of the cannon combined.

a) rays89 - WELCOME to the board!!!  Questions make the world go 'round.  We'd like to see some of your work too!

b) smoothbore - I agree, a closeup, shots of the parts, or drawings would be fascinating!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline rays89

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Picture!!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 03:12:14 PM »
Tim
 Thanx for the welcome, Its funny Ive been lurking around a couple of months, even signed up,  I even thought I might have made a post, But I guess I never did. I have read the sticky on how to post pics. And I will post some pics shortly. I noticed alot of very talented machinsists in here. Ive been concentrating on the woodwork part even though Im a novice on that dept. As for the barrel making right now I gotta leave it to you professionals.
  Im not going to hijack Smoothbores thread with pics of my cannon. Ill start a different thread. But Smoothbore details please especially the field cannon wheels. I have a couple more field cannon barrels in need of carraiges waiting.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Picture!!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 04:38:36 PM »
Quote from: rays89
 ....   I noticed alot of very talented machinsists in here.   ....  .

While that may be true, there also are a LOT of folks that just like having fun and making noise and smoke.

While I admire the professionals for their experience and expertise, I really enjoy the folks that like to make things go boom in the night!

The stories of "do you remember when ....' are some of the greatest.

I used to love listening to my folks talk with visitors late into the night - some serious issues and some real-life humor where .... you know what I mean.

Welcome!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Smoothbore

• Trade Count: (0)
Picture!!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 01:23:26 AM »
Rays89
   My computer never gets turned on over the weekend, too many things to do.  So, I just saw your question this morning.  

I have tried a number of ways to make wheels, so far, none have been completely satisfactory.  Smaller wheels, such as in my picture are a bit more of a problem than larger ones.  Larger ones can be cut out with a router and circle cutter rig, or with a roto tool--or even roughly cut out with a saber saw and sanded round on a belt sander.

The wheels in the picture were made with a circle cutter on a drill press. I alternate cutting the inner and outer diameters until almost cut through (cutting from both sides of the board also alternately).  The outer diameter is cut through first then the wheel is secured and the inner diameter cut finished.  Kind of awkward---but it works!!

On soft woods like pine or poplar, I reverse the cutter bit in its' holder, which doesn't leave the beveled edge on the outer diameter of the wheel (circle cutters are designed to cut holes, not circular disks!!).  With oak, which was used on the one pictured, the reversed cutter really isn't my choice (I have done it a few times, but it ruins a cutter rather quickly).  Instead, the wheels are chucked in my lathe and the bevel is removed with a lathe cutter.  

Sometimes I have cut out the outer diameter, place the wheel blanks on a threaded shaft through the cutter pilot hole, chuck them in the lathe and cut the bevel from them at the same time---makes all of them the exact same diameter.  

The spokes are plain old 1/4" dowel, and the hub is cut from plain old 1" dowel.  Hopefully some of the others on the forum will list things they do, which may give both you and I some new ideas and tricks.  How 'bout it, those of you who are woodworking masters---what are your tricks???