Author Topic: Pretator huntting and scopes?  (Read 480 times)

Offline jphelps

• Trade Count: (0)
Pretator huntting and scopes?
« on: May 02, 2005, 06:58:35 AM »
My main reason for looking at getting a handi is for predator and some varmit hunting. Last week I saw a show on tv and they were coyote hunting and it looked so fun! From what I have seen is most predator hunters use a .223, but I am a little confused about the whole scope thing. What do all of the #'s mean and what size is good for some long distance yote and varmit hunting? New to this type of hunting so any info will help.

Offline ebonitekid767

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 07:08:31 AM »
welcome aboard!

as for coyote hunting the .223 is good,i would go with a handi rifle with a standard barrel since the heavy barrel can get you tired from carrying it from set to set.as for a scope it really depends,how long of a range is long range?200-300 yards? coyotes are sometimes known to sneak right up and present you with a 10-15 yard shot so you dont want something really powerful,prolly somewhere in the 4-14 power range should work fine. :D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 07:58:25 AM »
jphelps
The 223 is a good choice and I agree on the std barrel.  I have the 24" Ultra Varmint and it does get heavy.

As for scopes the number are the number of times it will magnify from normal vision.  A 4X scope will magnify 4 times greater than normal human vision.  

A variable (adjustable power) scope is probably the best bes and I'd recommend something in the 3-9 or 3-10 range for carry coyote hunting.  If sitting still for prarrie dogs then the bull barrel and 6-20 or 6-24 power scope since you'll shoot from a bench.

I very seldom take mine over 3-4 power unless I spot a coyote far off and have time to zoom in.  Most of the time you are presented with about 5-15 seconds to shoot and that is not the time to have tp play around with the scope.

I've shot at coyotes from 7yds to 250 so ya never know where they'll show up.

By the way, Welcome!!
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline 223Shooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 09:50:31 AM »
I shoot a NEF .223 for coyotes here in Wisconsin. I have a 3-9x40 that sits on top. I shot (only) 3 coyotes last year. All of them were under 70 yards. I usually leave the scope set on 3 power. It works just fine for the 70 yard shots as well as the 20 yard shots. You will love the .223 NEF. Welcome to the board.

Offline Kart29

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 12:25:11 PM »
Hello jphelps.

the last number in the equation is the diameter of the objective lens (the one at the muzzle end of the scope).  Generally a bigger objective lens gathers more light - which can be a benefit when hunting coyotes as they seem to be most active in low light conditions.  Once the sun is up, the bigger objective lens doesn't make much difference that I know of.

If there are two numbers in the description, it's a fixed power scope(degree of magnification is fixed at a particular level).  So, a 4X32 means a 4 power magnification and 32mm objective lens

If there are three numbers in the description, it's a variable power scope meaning the degree of magnification can be adjusted.  So, if it's a 3-9X40 it means the degree of magnification can be adjusted from 3 power all the way up to 9 power, and the objective lens is 40mm.  Sometimes people will write 3X9X40 but really it should be written as 3-9X40 as the numbers before the X indicate the power of magnifcation and the number after the X describes the diameter of the objective lens.

In my opinion 3-9X40 should be fine for coyotes.  4-12X40 should be fine, too.  There's not much difference between the two, especially since you probably will only use the highest magnification setting while at the range.

Be sure to check the accuracy of the gun using the different powers of magnification.  Where it shoots at 4X magnification may not be the same as where it shoots at 12X.  Better shoot it at a few different setting just to sure you can count on it in the field.

Generally speaking the wisdom of the day is that you can get a good reliable fixed power scope for about the same money as a piece of crap variable power scope.  But really, a  Bushnell variable power scope will probably work fine for 99% of your shots on coyotes.  In my experience, the cheap scopes are hard to get zeroed in but work fine once you get them set.

Heck, I just bought a new Handi in .223 and topped it with a Bushnell 3-9X40 so obviously I think you're on a good economical but reliable package, there.

Coyote hunting is a blast!  It's a huge shot of adrenaline when you see one coming to the call.  It has all the challenges of deer hunting but you only have to sit still in your stand for 1/2 hour or less, not hours our more.  Plus, when you start in on those calls you never know what's going to happen - often it's nothing, but usually some kind of wildlife takes interest.  I've had an owl almost take my hat off, had hawks land within FIVE FEET of me and stare me down.  All manner of cats and birds seem to come to the call besides just dogs.  But, coyote hunting in the Midwest is definitely NOT easy!  In fact, it's really tough.  If at first you don't succeed - don't give up!

Offline jphelps

Thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 02:00:39 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys. Kart29 you helped me so much. Thanks.