Poll

What brand scope do you prefer on your Handi?

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: May 17, 2005, 02:10:11 AM

Author Topic: What brand scope do you prefer on your Handi?  (Read 714 times)

Offline bigjeepman

• Trade Count: (0)
What brand scope do you prefer on your Handi?
« on: May 03, 2005, 02:10:11 AM »
I am just more than a little curious as to what scopes you mount on your Handi rifles. I have only one Handi in .223 and I put a Swift Premier scope on it. On my bolt action rifles, I have high end Bushnells and Sightrons.

I just bought my second Handi in .223 and am thinking about a Mueller Eradicator 8.5-25x50.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline getom59

What brand scope do you prefer on your Hand
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 02:44:38 AM »
My Handi .223 is setup for daytime coyote hunting and it has a Bushnell Banner 3-9 X 40 on it.  However, I'd prefer it if my Handi had the Mueller 3-9 X 40 Sport Dot.

My Sportster .22 Mag is setup for nighttime coyote hunting and it has the Mueller 3-9 X 40 Sport Dot on it.

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 03:31:53 AM »
Burris Compact.
I must be crazy.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 03:59:16 AM »
well it depends on what i'm doing with it. if its a target gun i like a bushnell/tasco but if its a hunting gun i like simmons and swift.

if i had to just pic one it would be bushnell
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 05:09:29 AM »
As with all the polls here...you can only cast 1 vote...but on mine...the Leupolds out-number the Burris...by 2 to 1...but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Burris...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 05:37:03 AM »
My .223 has a Redfield Tracker 3x9. My .243 Ultra has a BSA 4x16 Contender, and my .17 has a Bushnell 3x9 Banner. They all seem to be decent scopes. My main issue is I can't spend more on the scope than I do the rifle :?
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 10:46:50 AM »
Nuttinbutchunks ...

I think we might follow the same "rule of thumb." I spend just about the same on a scope as I do the rifle it goes on. Most of the time, the scope price is a little less than the cost of the rifle but I have been pretty consistent in my choices.

I really like the Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24x40 that I have sitting on top of my Savage 10 FP that I use for target practice and eventually prairie dogs and ground hogs. This scope was $400 and the rifle was $450 but I also put a B&C stock on the rifle too. I do not think I will ever put an 4200 Elite on one of my Handi rifles because my Handi's are going to be used for coyote hunting and varmits as well as plenty of range time.

For my Handi's, I think $150 to $225 scopes will do the job very well that they were intended for. I look for good clarity at dusk, good eye relief, and excellent FOV at the lowest setting. There are usually some pretty darn good sales at times for scopes in this price range also.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 12:39:06 PM »
bigjeepman
I can't spend $400 on a scope. I'm thinking less than that. Like no more than $150. The BSA cost me $115 I think, the Bushnell cost me $89, and the Redfield cost me $50 because I bought it off a guy who needed some money and was pawning stuff off. I originally put it on my Colt Sporter. Now I have a Simmons Whitetail on it I think I paid $125 for.

What's funny is I have a Tasco 32x on my Ruger M77 Mk2 22-250 (I bought that for $550 new) that cost about $100. It's crap, but I can still blow a hair off a nat's rear-end with it. It just seems blurry at times.
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 12:51:53 PM »
I have a Bushnell Banner 3X9X40 on my 243, have a Mueller 2X7 for my Hand 45-70................if it EVER GETS HERE! :x

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 01:35:33 PM »
I have a pretty good spread of scopes on my Handis/Ultras, there are 4 Muellers, 2 Simmons ATVs and a WTC18, several Japan Tascos, 1 Burris, 2 Leupolds, 2 Bushnell Scopechiefs, 2 Hakko S&Ws, 2 Swifts and a partridge....er...a....that's it....I think!! :roll:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 02:23:48 PM »
That is a large collection of scopes quickdtoo ....

Let's say you had only one rifle ... heaven forbid ... and you were to have one scope to put on it ... which brand scope would you choose?

With your experience with so many different companies, it would be interesting to know about not only your best scope, but, also your worst scope.
5 Rules for Happiness

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 02:35:53 PM »
My only really best scope is a Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 on my CZ452 American 17hmr, but the Muellers are right there with it in optical clarity, resolution and tracking/repeatability, specially when you consider they cost almost half of what the Bushy cost. I also have a couple Bushnell Scopechief 6-20x40s on my Marlin 917V and 917VS which are excellent scopes, too.   Worse scope I ever had would have to be a BSA red dot that fogged on me the first time I used it in the rain, never even hunted with it cuz that happened while patterning my 835 Ult-mag.  :cry:

EDIT: I only partially answered your question BJM....one scope one rifle...for big game would be a Leupold VX1 2-7x33....less than $180. I have one on my 30-06 UltraComp and a VariX-1 2-7x28 compact on my 308 Win BLR.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline lonewolf7396

SCOPES
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 02:44:10 PM »
I am going to remove he scope on the mauser BNZ42 8x57 and install it on the 06 Handi ,the scope is a Millet Buck Silver 3x9x40 with Millet medium height rings.The BNZ 42 will be up for sale as soon as I return home. :D