Author Topic: New Model Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag  (Read 603 times)

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
New Model Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag
« on: May 03, 2005, 02:29:16 PM »
I owned a Ruger SB .44 years ago and sold it to get a double action Colt Anaconda, well, the Anaconda was a good gun, but was kinda nose heavey with the 8 inch barrel. I would like to go back to the SB. I see they average $399, is this a good price, and are they built as good as mine was in 1970? I want my full $399 worth and it to be able to handle serious full powered loads in 300 gr bullets. Thanks-Jack. :D

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 04:02:59 PM »
i had three new models break on me.  all in the same fashion.  there is another thread going on right now called "redhawk barrel turned" that i will direct you to.   ruger has a problem that i thought was only with their super blackhawks, but it appears that the redhawk is subject to the same problem.  
     beyond all that,  i think ruger's customer service leaves alot to be desired.   yes, they fixed my guns.  they also took their sweet time doing it.  and i had to pull teeth to even get anyone from ruger to even  talk with me about the problem, and the one guy who did tried to b.s. me and obviously wanted to end the conversation asap.    i would stay away from the new rugers.

i recently went to a gun show and a guy there had a old flattop 44.  i asked if i could handle it and he said "sure".   compared to the new models,  the old model seems like an entirely different make of gun.   it was of obviously better quality than the new models.    if you must have a blackhawk, i would strongly advise you cruise one of the online auction sites for an old model, or find one locally.    

this all coming from a guy still trying to sell his last blackhawk.  i must be doing a good job letting folks know about this;  as i havent even had a bite.   :)    no takers.    ruger WAS  my favorite firearms manufacturer.   keyword here being "was"

Offline HouseofCash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 06:03:30 PM »
myronman3, pm me with some pics and info on a far price for you SBH. I just might take it off your hands.

Dave.
GSSF Member

Offline RCL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 04:35:15 AM »
May I suggest a New Model Super Blackhawk Bisley in .44 Mag? I've had one for about eight years now, never a problem other than finding the right load for it, it seems to favour jacketed bullets over cast. No problem with 300 (book) max loads, it's favorite being the Speer 300 grain soft point over 22 grains of H110 lit by a CCI 350 primer. This revolver has been feed a steady diet of 300 grain and heavier bullets. One cast bullet I did find that works was the SSK flat point (325 grains).
I had two Anaconda's, sold them both and got Rugers and a Smith or two. I haven't been disappointed. :D
Robert Leggett
"You sure you know how to skin grizz pilgrim?"

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 01:43:35 PM »
Thanks guys!! That is a darn shame that Ruger has fallen in quality this far and I can`t believe they haven`t gotten the message yet. OK, you have my attention, what is the difference between the SBH and Bisley? Thanks-Jack.

Offline RCL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 05:15:44 PM »
The Bisley is a version of the Super Blackhawk. The difference is the grip frame, hammer and trigger.

Super Blackhawk

Super Blackhawk Bisley
Robert Leggett
"You sure you know how to skin grizz pilgrim?"