Author Topic: 41 Mag. Heavy Wt. Bullets  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Turk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
41 Mag. Heavy Wt. Bullets
« on: February 26, 2003, 03:37:45 PM »
Anyone have any loading data for shooting heavy wt. cast 41 mag. bullets.  

I see that NEI is back and I'm considering their .411-260GC or .411-240GC.  What I'd like is the Mountian Mould in the 41F259 but they don't make 4 cavity.  I got an e-mail back for Dan at MM and I understand why he currently doesn't make a 4 cavity.

Thanking everyone in advance.

Turk
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline mart

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 05:38:45 AM »
Turk,

A few years ago I tested all the heavy 41 mag bullets I could find. They ranged in weight from 250 grain to 295 grain. Any one who says the 41 is inconsistent with heavy bullets is unfamiliar with the chambering.

I tested 9 bullets over three powders in two handguns and can say that accuracy was from acceptable to outstanding. All loads were fired from a Ransom Rest at 25 yards. Surprisingly Penn's big 295 grain turned in some of the best groups, basically one ragged hole for six shots with every load tested.

I did all this to determine what weight mould I wanted. I settled on the 260 grain WLN from LBT. I ended up getting one of the last moulds from LBT before his unfortunate trouble. The mould throws a 260 grain with linotype and right at 270 grains with wheelweights.

For a hunting load I shoot the linotype over a healthy charge of H110. Hodgdon has some loads in their #26 manual. My top load is the 260 grain bullet over 20 grains of H110 and a Federal 155 primer. It runs right at 1300 fps from my 6.5" Ruger. The heavy bullets also shoot very well in light loads. I have shot them with HP38 and Unique with great accuracy. I don't have those loadings handy as we just moved to Alaska and all that stuff is in storage till we close on the new house.

I hope this helps some. I really enjoy the 41 and it shoots heavy bullets just as well as any other handgun caliber. Mart.
"Only lefthanded guns are interesting."

Offline GradyL56

heavy .41 bullets
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2003, 06:18:50 PM »
I have an SSk .411 275 mold -- in wheel weights ( qunched) it can weigh up to 286 or so gains --I use 18 gr. 296 -- -- I have gone higher but that would be your choice -- I killed one spike whitetail with this load ( ok a littler heaver on the powder ) anyway the bullet went in the chest and out the left hip-- end to end -- we accidently met in a loblolly thicket and the shot was at about 20 yards or less---what I have seen recomended is up 19 as tops with the bullet hard cast at 275 gr-- accuracy is very good in all the .41s I have tried it in-- S&W- DWA Blackhawk -- I have 2 Redhawks and have not tried it much in them but my blue one does not like this bullet -- I have not tired it in my stainless one

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
41 heavy bullets
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2003, 10:43:56 PM »
Try the Cast Performance or Beartooth Bullets web sites - at least one of them lists some heavy bullet loads - can't remember which right now.

Man I'm tickled at all the 41 mag chatter on GB - is it finally catching on?

I think the Lee book may provide some starting points as well.  

Find John Taffin's site - I think he had some loads too.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline EDG

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2003, 01:30:42 PM »
Mart,
This is off the subject , but would you mind listing your top 3 or 4 bullets? I am looking for something to shoot in a .40 caliber rifle, but I don't want a 400 grain BP Silhoutte bullet. Looking for something between 250 and 320 grains and 409 to 410 dia.
Thanks,
 Ed

Offline mart

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2003, 02:03:20 PM »
Ed,

My load data is all in storage right now. We sold our house in Washington and moved to Alaska and are in the process of buying a house here. However, most of my fun stuff is all packed away while we are stuck in this tiny lttle apartment.

As far as bullets go I can give those from memory. Beartooth has a 280 grain WLNGC that is a great bullet. Penn has a 295 grain TC, no gas check. Liberty has a 270 grain and a 275 grain in different configurations and Cast Performance has a 250 and 265 grain bullet. BRP also has a beautiful 260 grain SWC, probably one of the prettiest cast bullets I ever saw. Beartooth has a web site and forum although I don't know the web address off the top of my bald head. The phone numbers for the various companies are as follows; (these are from a 2001 Gun Digest)

Beartooth             208-448-1865
BRP                     719-633-0658
Cast Performance 307-856-4347
Liberty                 503-640-5518
Penn                    PO Box 756, Indianola, PA 15051 (no phone # listed)

I hope this helps. I never found any 41 bullets over 300 grains. That Penn 295 grain was very accurate out of my Ruger and was the bullet Hodgdon used to develop their 41 mag heavy bullet data for the No. 26 manual. Good luck. Mart
"Only lefthanded guns are interesting."

Offline EDG

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2003, 02:14:15 PM »
Mart,
 Thanks alot. This will give me some new bullets to explore.

Ed

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2003, 02:49:46 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I think I'm going to a FN type bullet in the 250-260 gr. range.

Thanks,

Turk
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA