Author Topic: Handi's are new to me help me out????  (Read 743 times)

Offline HogBuster

• Trade Count: (0)
Handi's are new to me help me out????
« on: April 29, 2005, 07:26:09 PM »
I just got done shooting my friend's handi rifle's in 204 and 223.  The 204 was wood with 22 inch bull barrel.  223 was laminated with 24 inch barrel boths shot great at 90 yards.  You guys know handi's like the back of your hands so what caliber sould i get.  I went to the gun shop and they have both the 204 $195 and 223 $230.  Please help
Sorry your message to remington788@yahoo.com cannot be delivered. This account has been disabled or discontinued

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 07:52:52 PM »
Welcome aboard!!! :D You know the answer to that for a true Handi-holic would be to buy both, don'tcha???? But if you're limited to just one, go for the .223, ammo is cheaper whether you handload or buy factory, and for all intents and purposes, it's got no disadvantages to the .204. It's a bit more expensive of the 2 choices you have, but the laminated stock is nice and the $230 price is good for a new rifle...and you'll have a 2" longer barrel, ta boot over the .204's 22"er. Pick up a box or 2 of the win whitebox 45gr JHP, some flitz or JB non-embedding bore compound and head home to polish the chamber and bore, clean it good inside and out and head to the range!!!   After you mount a scope, of course!!! :oops:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 02:38:08 AM »
I agree with quick ... go for the .223 as it is one fine caliber and everyone should have at least one rifle. As quick already said, factory ammo is pretty inexpensive and if you reload, this caliber is a good one as it seems to like a lot of combinations of bullet weights/powders.

I am not saying the .223 is a better round than the .204. There are a lot of very happy .204 owners out there who are experiencing great accuracy at high velocities. When brass becomes readily available and more affordable, I will get a .204 in either a Handi or a Savage Model 12 VLP. I shoot a lot of rounds each week in my rifles and I cannot justify the expense difference right now no matter how well the .204 performs.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 04:23:09 AM »
:D, Welcome aboard HogBuster!!! I agree with the above, get the .223
and don't look back, you will not have any reason to!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 04:24:18 AM »
Welcome to GBO HogBuster:

Looks like your qustion was answered...I'll second the 223...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 04:36:58 AM »
....Same here friend, welcome. I am sure you will learn a lot from this forum(I know I have :-) ) there are some very knowledgable fellas here.
But I guess I will have to agree with them as well-go for the 223.  Cheap to shoot, a ton of fun, doesn't kick much at all, and extremely accurate.

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 06:07:34 AM »
Have to agree with the 223. I have been shooting p-dogs steady since 1991. Own and use 223s (5), a 22-250, and a 243. Have shot next to 204s, and just do not consider the gains, if any, to off set the addition cost of ammo, limited reloading options, lack of variety of factory ammo, quicker fouling barrel and general fussiness. BUT, of couse everyone has their opinions. Is this a great hobby or what?
Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 07:43:34 AM »
Welcome abord, and I would go with the .223 as well. Then after you've put a box or two through it, send it to the factory for a .204 barrel. That way, you will have both in the 24" config :D
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline varmitbob

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 04:16:03 PM »
The .223 is an excellent round.  There is tons of ammo avavilable.  I am not sure of what the twist rate is on the handi barrel, but in general the heavier the bullet weight the longer the bullet.  The longer the bullet, the faster twist rate it needs.
  If the twist rate is anything below 1 in 9, stay with the lighter weight bullets (45 - 55 gr).  I have several .223 rifles, and handload for them.  They are great on everything from ground hogs to coyote.  
  If you have need for a heavier bullet, the .243 is an excellent choice.  They come in everything from 55-107 gr.  I love my .223, but this is probably an all around more versatile round.  The .243 will be more expensive to shoot.  If you reload, the difference will be much less, but buying ammo off the shelf can get expensive for the .243.
  Several hunters I have talked to like the .243 for deer and antelope as well as varmit.
  Because the Handi barrels are so inexpensive, you can get both!  Have Fun!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 04:27:42 PM »
FYI, the .223 Handi has a 1 in 12" rate of twist, so the best shooting bullets are 55gr and under with a few exceptions like the 63gr Sierra.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 04:34:36 PM »
Welcome aboard!

I would also buy the .223, I just got mine back, it has the bull barrel on it and I am putting a new scope on it. I also bought a new .243  :grin:

Offline 270_Abolt

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 11:39:03 PM »

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 02:59:10 PM »
Welcome aboard...

Your friend has the answer... he has them both.

But get the 223 first...
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline tcman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 05:14:54 PM »
Yup...223.