Author Topic: Shepherd scopes  (Read 445 times)

Offline INresponse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Shepherd scopes
« on: April 30, 2005, 07:12:19 PM »
Anyone have any experience with the Shepherd scopes?  I saw them at the NRA annual meeting a couple weeks ago and I am impressed so far.  for those who are not familiar the scope has several circles on the bottom portion of the verticle reticle.  The circles get smaller towards the bottom of the reticle.  The crosshairs in the center of the scope are for 100 yards, just below is a line for 200 yards, the first circle is for 300 yards and measures an 18" circle at 300 yards.  As the circles get smaller the distance gets farther but each circle is 18" at its respective range.  I was told the average chest of a deer is 18" and if the circle is too big for the target you drop to the next smaller circle until you find one that fits.  If the deer is toobig/small you hold in between the circles and are good for the 50 yard incriments.  The scopes are made for different groups of calibers based on trajectory and uses a dual reticle system so the circles remain constant regardless of magnification.

I think this is a great idea and from what I have heard and read I am so far impressed.  Any information you can provide, good or bad, would be appreciated.  Their web site is...
www.shepherdscopes.com
Police Officers support the 2nd Amendment!
-Retired-

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Shepherd scopes
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 09:32:38 AM »
INresponse

About 12 years ago I bought a Shepherd Scope. I enjoyed it for 4 years
but it had a nagging problem. The secondary crosshair would move over
about 1 moa with recoil & then stay in that spot. The secondary crosshair
is the one that contains all the ranging crosshairs. I could still use the scope this way because the primary crosshair was still in line but it was an
aggravation & took more time. I was able to shoot my 30-06 at ranges that would have been difficult to achieve without this scope. Instead of
sending in the scope for repairs, I sold it. A couple of years later, 2 of my
friends bought Shepherds. 1 worked fine and the other had to be sent in
for repairs.  I THINK THAT HAVING PROBLEMS WITH 2 OUT OF 3 SCOPES
IS NOT GOOD! I would not consider these scopes again unless I knew
that they have been improved. If not, maybe he should sell his design to a different scope company. Imagine a Mueller with this reticle system plus a little red dot in the main intersection! Just my thoughts.

Nomosendero
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline INresponse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Shepherd scopes
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 06:46:44 PM »
Nomosendero,

Thanks for the info.  I will really consider this info before spending any money.

Michael
Police Officers support the 2nd Amendment!
-Retired-