Author Topic: Colt Signature series  (Read 840 times)

Offline flintlock54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Colt Signature series
« on: May 22, 2005, 04:19:26 PM »
I am looking at a NIB 1851 Signature series for less than $400. Price is just $75 more than a cimarron. Scanned all the threads. Noticed a great dislike for the signature series on this forum and others. But most of the threads were I have heard.... So I would like some comments from some folks that have actually owned a signature series and what kind of problems, if any, they have incountered.
<><

Offline Flint

signature
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 07:13:56 PM »
Just $75 more than a Cimarron what?  The Cimarron 1851 should be $270 retail max.

I have lots of Cimarron and Uberti 51s, 61s and 60s as well as both second gen Colt 1851 and 1860.  I have a signature series 1860 that came out of the box with a loose cylinder pin ande a very early bolt drop, marking the cylinder fairly quickly.

The second gen Colts have a very good finish and assembly, the parts fit and were smoothed well before they were buffed, so there are no rounded corners or wavy surfaces.  The second gen guns are also very authentic in shapes and details.  The color case is beautiful, and real, and the bluing and plating, if done are right.

The third generation Signature Series CAN be well fit and finished, but as often as not, are not.  Parts like the triggerguard are often polished separately from the frame, so the corners are rounded, not flush, and the octagonal barrels are overbuffed so the edges are rounded and the flats are wavy.  And details are off, like the size of a Navy triggerguard. The plating is nickel, not silver, details might be missing like the capping groove, and other assorted details.  The color case is, however very good, and real.

All this means you should personally check the gun out, and not buy it mailorder blind.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline flintlock54

• Avid Poster
Colt Signature series
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 01:11:11 AM »
Just what I am looking for. Thanks!
<><

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Colt Signature series
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 07:13:47 AM »
I have a '60 Army from the "Signature Series", and it is one of my most accurate revolvers.Took some work to get the timing right, though. It would take a miracle to get the finish right-- polishing marks are everywhere and, as Flint says, it appears that the parts were all polished separately. I have a friend whose " Signature Series" Navy is finished to a wonderful standard. You never know with these guns.

If you can do a hands on inspection, and the workmanship is acceptable, then it's probably worth the money. The action should be crisp and tight lock-up of the cylinder is of utmost importance. Oh, and you have to be willing to live with that goofy signature on the backstrap. If you buy it, shoot the #+!! out of it!  It's main value is as a shooter-- the average "Sig Series" will never be a coveted collector's item, so you don't have to worry about its losing its value if you shoot it.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline 1860

• Avid Poster
Colt Signature series
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 12:47:23 PM »
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=32529255

Save up and buy one of these....

It took me 4 Sig. Series guns to find one that was a shooter and it took a ton of work at that.  But it's a beauty and shoots well..49 pocket..

Filmonkey,

I'll wager there were a bunch of guys saying the same thing when the 2nd generations were being made...never be worth squat...While I agree with ya about the quality of the sig series and etc, I think 50+ years from now they will find a way to be worth something.  I'm sure you look at the auctions, they are asking alot now and someone will eventually pay it.

Offline nohorse

• Avid Poster
Colt Signature series
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 06:15:08 AM »
Like everyone says - the Signature Series Colts range from loose fitting crap to real shooters.  I have one, like most others it needed some work, First of all the lock for ramming lever fell off and had to be peened back into the dovetail.  Then the little spring on the cylinder hand broke - replaced that.  Now without any other adjustments it shoots dead on POA and will punch some serious holes with authority for a .36.  I love it as a shooter!

One thing I never liked about the Signature Series was the cheap looking silver trigger guard and back strap. Then I finally figured out that they are lacquered.  After removing the lacquer with some acetone it looks as good as the one on my second generation navy.

I would not have any reservations picking up another one……
GG-father: 6th Ala Inf
GG-uncles: 6th Ala Inf; 19th Tn; Wirt Adam's Cav.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Colt Signature series
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 07:20:29 AM »
1860 has a good point here. If you keep your eyes open, both on-line and at local gun shows, you can pick up  a nice "F" series second generation Colt.  Often at similar prices to the Sig Series guns. Then you will have a high quality revolver that will only increase in worth. It probably won't have its black box or paper work, but unless you are a serious collector, that is irrelevant. By the time you replace parts and tune up a Sig Series, you will be very close in price.
  The "C" series guns--the 3rd Model Dragoon and the '51 Navys-- have the best finish. The bluing looks a foot deep and the case colors are awesome. But an "F" series is a fine gun. Either way you can't go wrong.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member

Offline flintlock54

• Avid Poster
Colt Signature series
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 05:13:59 PM »
The other day I spoke with a very well known gunsmith that works on all series and Italian makes. His experience with the signature series has been been positive. Sometimes they have a better finish and usually any problem if any can be corrected with an inexpensive tuning.  So you have to wonder if the signatures really deserves the bad rap. The one I just bought looks fantastic. I plan getting it tuned, which I would have done anyway.
<><

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Colt Signature series
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 05:51:23 PM »
Mine deserved the bad rap. I know that Bob Munden has had success tuning Sig Series guns, but not every one has his level of talent.  The high prices being asked for the guns on-line are for unturned guns in the original box. And nobody is buying them because they made a ton of them, and there's a good reason why so many are available. When Colt blackpowder decided to pack it in--they had pretty much squandered the Colt name well before they shut down--they raised prices dramatically. I know because I had one on order, along with a Colt rifle-musket. My dealer informed me of the price hike, and I cancelled my order. So did a number of my friends. And the high prices being asked now rule out any chance for a collector to make a profit in this lifetime. It's possible now to buy an unturned "C" or "F" series gun with its box and papers. I know where my money will go.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member

Offline flintlock54

• Avid Poster
Colt Signature series
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 06:32:57 PM »
Understandable. That's the problem with anything modern that is sold to be a collectable. To many are made, advertised as a collectable, market gets  flooded, everyone buys for investment, dealers and collectors don't want them because they can get as many as they want wholesale. etc ect....
<><