Author Topic: Dented Cases and Rough Exposed Lead Tips - Accuracy Concerns  (Read 671 times)

Offline 147 Grain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Question from a non-reloader:

Do dented cases or rough looking exposed lead tips on factory ammo affect accuracy?

Also, concerning a bullet's seating depth:

With factory ammo using crimped canaller bullets, often 1/3'rd of a box will be crimpted at the bottom of canaller, 1/3'rd crimped right in the middle, and the other 1/3'rd near the top of the canaller.

How does this change accuracy?

Thanks in advance of your reply!
45 ACP 230-gr. Double Tap Gold Dot = 1,010 fps / 15.3" & .95"    :D

Aim for the Triangle Area between armpits & throat.

Offline 147 Grain

• Avid Poster
Dented Cases and Rough Exposed Lead Tips -
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 01:46:29 PM »
P.S.

Can some of you experts please recommend how to inspect and sort factory ammo?

Perhaps there's a way to use one group for hunting, another for target shooting, and another for plinking or whatever.

Thank-you in advance of your replies!

Offline KN

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 03:48:55 PM »
I was told by a Sierra tech man that defects in the base of a bullet will have far more impact on accuracy than defects in the nose. Thats not to say that it wont have some affect. As far as seating depth goes, If your rifle and yourself are capable of shooting extremely accurate groups you may notice some difference from the crimps you describe. If you and your rifle are like most shooters you will probably never notice the difference from those small variations in length.   KN

Offline 147 Grain

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 04:45:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply on exposed lead tips.

Any ideas on dented cases or up to 3/32" variance in seating depth?

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 10:35:13 AM »
I doubt you will notice much practical difference with the seating depth variation for hunting. plinking or informal target shooting. The velocity spread may be slightly higher but again with no practical difference. Now if these were hand loads taylored to the chamber in YOUR gun. it would probably be more noticable.  As far as dented cases I had a bunch of 308 brass I resized to 243, They required fireforming to form the neck and most had small dents. As a whole while fireforming they only shot about 1/10 of an inch larger group than the final loads I ended up with.

Note: the seating depth variation could be an indication of variances in the brass length. Have you measured the rounds to see if the overall length is the same.
Just another worthless opinion!!