Author Topic: How to set optical center??  (Read 678 times)

Offline Michael H

• Trade Count: (0)
How to set optical center??
« on: May 07, 2005, 05:22:51 AM »
Hello All
I am fixin to set the opitcal center on my older Simmons model 1015. I had it on one rifle since it was new. I have upgraded to a Nikon and the Simmons is going on another rifle and I want to start fresh with the scope in nuetral.
Hope to see some replies here, Thanx in Advance
Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die tomorrow

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 05:55:21 AM »
From Leupold....

The elevation and windage adjustments of a scope are easily centered. Place a small mirror against the objective end of the scope. That would be the end farthest from your eye as you look through the scope. Make certain that the mirror is large enough to cover the entire objective. It must also be flat against the objective. With the scope's power selector ring set at the lowest magnification, look through the eyepiece as you would while aiming at a target. If the scope's windage and elevation adjustments are off center, you will see two images of the reticle (cross-hair). To reach the center of the adjustment range, simply turn the elevation and windage dials until you see only one image of the reticle.  
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Zachary

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 07:59:02 AM »
That sounds about right. :grin:

Zachary

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 08:34:10 AM »
I've used this method on about 40-50 scopes, it works on most, but I have found a couple that the reticle could not be seen no matter how I changed light source angles which helps to see the reticle image better on most scopes.

Offline Michael H

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 11:05:25 AM »
I tried this method and Mr. Quick, it is a little hard to see the two cross hair sets.  I was able to get them lined up, I think. I noticed that one set was a little distorted or curved out on the ends.  There must be a way to get the light source lined up better so that the cross hair sets are easier to see.  Is it better to have a point light source like a flash light coming from behind, or just the light in a room?
Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die tomorrow

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 11:06:58 AM »
I just put the scope on a new gun, bore sight it and then go to the range and get in sighted in. As soon as you make an adjustment it is back off center.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 11:20:06 AM »
I just use the light from a ceiling light and work with the scope at table level so the light source is from an angle off to the side, not directly above. I lay the mirror on the table and position the scope vertically on the mirror. And like I said, it won't work with all scopes, but most of em.  I use Burris Signature rings almost exclusively and centering the reticle tells me if there is a mounting problem or if the barrel is misaligned in the action or the bore is off center of axis. I can use the offset inserts if needed to zero the scope without ever touching the turret adjustments and therefore leaving the reticle centered optically which provides the best optical clarity.

Offline BillP

Count clicks ?
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 05:42:18 PM »
I suspect it's not perfect but couldn't you just turn the knob all the way till it stops, then turn it back counting clicks or marks till it stops the other way, then turn it back half way.  :?  That sounds a bit confusing.  What I meant was count the clicks or marks stop to stop then set it half way.  Never tried it but is sounds like it should get you close enough.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 05:49:32 PM »
You could, but it is a bit tiresome and can damage the scope. Swift states right in their owners manual that running the adjustments to their limit  can jam the turret adjustment and can void their warranty, so why risk it when the mirror trick works great and is so simple to do, so why mess with counting clicks. Using a V-block and rotating the scope 90° will also work.