Author Topic: Questions about rings that came with Tikka T-3  (Read 290 times)

Offline bravada2002

• Trade Count: (0)
Questions about rings that came with Tikka T-3
« on: May 11, 2005, 06:04:24 AM »
I just recently purchased a Tikka T-3 Lite, my first rifle, and want to try to use the scope rings that came with the gun. The scope I purchased via the theopticzone.com is a Bushnell Elite 4200, 2.5-10x40. I realize allot of my questions might be answered in the scopes manual, but I haven't received the scope yet and I'm too curious to wait. Here's my inquires. The Tikka manual references polymer optilock insert rings. Am I supposed to have those insert rings, cause I don't, or is the manual talking about some optional Tikka rings? Assuming the insert rings have nothing to do with the rings that came with the rifle, how important is it to Lapp the rings? I read a few threads here discussing the subject and it seems like a necessary part of the scope mounting process but I would like some additional input regarding the subject. Assuming lapping is a necessary step in scope mounting will the Wheeler Engineering Scope Ring Alignment and Lapping Kit 1" do the job for me, or would y'all recommend another product. Given that I've never done any of this kind of stuff, being my first rifle and all, would y'all recommend that I pay a pro to mount the scope instead? Thanks.

Offline muzzleblast525

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Tikka Rings
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 06:17:39 AM »
I did not like the rings that came with the gun.  Instead, I bought a Weaver base and used Weaver rings to mount my scope.

Offline Grubbs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Questions about rings that came with Tikka
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 06:27:37 AM »
I have to say that on both of my T-3's I used the factory rings and really like 'em.  I just feel that a ring that mounts directly to the gun like the Tikka and Ruger have got to be stronger than 1 or 2 more parts doing the same thing.  Both rifles shoot sub MOA out of the box with factory ammo.  How do you beat that? (7-08 and 7mag)