Author Topic: 12 ga. slug barrel?  (Read 701 times)

Offline tanoose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
12 ga. slug barrel?
« on: May 14, 2005, 07:44:16 AM »
I am about to send out my 10 guage frame as NEF can fit there 12 guage 3" chamber 24" fully rifled bull barrel. How do these barrels shoot?  I was very impressed with my friends 20 guage  as i was able to blast coke cans all day long with it at over 100 yds.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
12 ga. slug barrel?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 08:03:07 AM »
you might want to try a search in the shotgun forum but i  have one and it is a great shooter beer can's at 100 yards is fun not hard.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline jeff223

12 ga. slug barrel?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 08:24:52 AM »
the 12ga slug barrels will shoot with the 20ga slugguns.the nice thing about the 12ga is all the differant slugs that are out there.lots to choose from and to try.only a few for the 20ga.

the ultraslugs and the tracker IIs are a couple of NEFs winners.many of these slugguns will out shoot their rifles.you cant go wrong with them.

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
12 ga. slug barrel?
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 01:30:01 AM »
Mitchell ,before i shot my friends 20 guage the max i ever shot was 50 yards with my Ithaca smoothbore What would you expext to be the max distance for that rifled barrel to hit those coke cans. I am not sure what the max distance for Deer with that Ithaca would have been but i have the chance to hunt shotgun county this year and they tell me shots would be anywhere from 100 to 150 yards  so i figured for $87.00 I would be better off to fit this rifled barrel  .

Offline mitchell

12 ga. slug barrel?
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 05:34:21 AM »
Quote from: tanoose
Mitchell ,before i shot my friends 20 guage the max i ever shot was 50 yards with my Ithaca smoothbore What would you expext to be the max distance for that rifled barrel to hit those coke cans. I am not sure what the max distance for Deer with that Ithaca would have been but i have the chance to hunt shotgun county this year and they tell me shots would be anywhere from 100 to 150 yards  so i figured for $87.00 I would be better off to fit this rifled barrel  .

i would say that 100 yards is about the best i can do but then again i only have a 4X scope if i had a better one on it it would do better. the longest deer kill i have with it is 158 yards , and  BTW this is the only deer gun i own that i've never missed with, but i would trust the gun/slug combo out to 200 yards after that  it starts to drop a good bit (about like a good load in a 45-70). and just some extra information the slug that i use is the remington corlokt sabot and it has been great the deer i've shot (4) have all gone about 20-30 yards before dropping . and you can site it in to where its point and shoot out to about 200 yards. i think this summer (with kill permits) or this fall (in season) i'll try long shot (ie:180-200)just to prove the nay sayers wrong. just think of this slug gun as a 45-70 anything it can do the sluggun can do .

if you have any more questions let them rip i've done a lot of shooting with this gun and will gladly help however i can.

Offline mitchell

12 ga. slug barrel?
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 08:42:28 AM »
BTW i shoots about .75 MOA all the time

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
12 ga. slug barrel?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 11:15:21 AM »
Thanks for the reply Mitchell and thanks for that slug info, it gives me a starting point.That would be great if i could  use between 150-200 yds.

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
12 ga. slug barrel?
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 01:32:14 PM »
:D
I have taken many deer with a 12 gauge and you can get them to shoot good. I don't anymore because they changed the laws in my area a couple of years ago so now I can use my rifle before it was always shotgun the first two days then you could use rifle. I have a taken 2 deer at 110-120 yards . I would say a 12 gauge is about a 100 yard gun (even though yes some deer have been taken at longer ranges). Now my muzzle loader I can get 2" groups at 200 yrds. Many states let you use muzzle loaders in shotgun zones. You may want to consider that option as well

Offline varmitbob

12 ga. slug barrel?
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 03:34:18 PM »
What kind of slugs are you using in the 20 ga.  I use Remington copper solids in my 12ga Remington with a fully rifled barrel.  It shoots very accurately at 100 yards, and pie plate accurate at 150 yards.
  I would like to buy a slug barrel for my daughters NEF Survivor to hunt with, but I was not sure how accurate they are.
  I also like to take my muzzle loader out during shotgun.  I usually take the shotgun out the rainy days, and the muzzle loader on the other days.  I prefer open sights, because it has given me opportunities that my buddies with scope miss because the animal is on the move, and they can not find it in their scopes.  
  Does the NEF Slug barrel have provisions for open and scope?

Offline mitchell

12 ga. slug barrel?
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 04:23:09 PM »
Quote from: Norseman112
:D
 I can get 2" groups at 200 yrds.

2 to 3 inches is the norm with my ultra slug and yes thats at 200 yards and at 200 it still enough energy to kill and i think its only got about 6 or so inches of drop so it sounds like a 200 yards gun to me.

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
12 ga. slug barrel?
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 06:05:10 AM »
Mitchell
I stand corrected,After doing  some reading  and talking to others about  the new slug guns I found they are better and good at 200 yrds. Mine was a smooth bore slug barrel and it took down alot of deer. I guess they have come a long ways from my old gun. I use my muzzel loader for the muzzel loader season here in WI.  Here is an interesting link. http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3730/is_200411/ai_n9460000