Author Topic: Shortening the Stock & 18 inch barrel question?  (Read 550 times)

Offline Mrserenity

• Trade Count: (0)
Shortening the Stock & 18 inch barrel question?
« on: June 06, 2005, 10:38:58 AM »
Hi, I have a H&R Topper Jr.  22 inch barrel with recoil pad.  I was wondering can I get the stock shortened?  It's already a youth stock but I want to bring it in closer to the body more.  I was going to see if I can get it cut down about 3 inches or so and the recoil pad replaced.  Also, I was going to get the barrel shortened to 18 1/2 inches.  How much spread does an open barrel has than a modified choke barrel?  I'm modifying the shotgun for home defense use.  Thanks for your comments.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Shortening the Stock & 18 inch barrel q
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 01:16:36 PM »
what Guage are you talking about? I would do the stock mod and see how the gun handles.Several other alternatives would be to get a versa pac stock another alternative would be to get one of the shot force stocks that has an adjustable LOP. At typical home defense ranges the choke isn't going to make much of a difference.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 01:18:34 PM »
what Guage are you talking about? I would do the stock mod and see how the gun handles.Several other alternatives would be to get a versa pac stock that has a 12 1/2" LOP another alternative would be to get one of the shot force stocks that has an adjustable LOP. At typical home defense ranges the choke isn't going to make much of a difference.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 01:04:26 PM »
Be careful if you do any shortening!!! In CT, and I think it is Federal as well,  the barrel has to be 18" or more, with the overall length of the shotgun 26" or longer. If either or both of these is too short, it will be considered a "sawed-off shotgun". Possession is a Felony.
Be aware also, there is controversy among some as to whether the "barrel" on a single shot begins at the end of the chamber, making overall barrel length 18 + 3" (21") or  at the far end of the barrel, including the chamber.....However, it that were really so, the Tamer could not come equipped with a  20"  (20-3= 17")  barrel......

:eek:
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 03:56:36 PM »
Personaly I think 22" is short enough but I'm pretty sure they measure from the breech face. If I was going to chop one I'd make sure it was more than 18" You are right about the 26" overall length requirement.

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 07:34:32 PM »
Here is an idea what your Shorty would look like. Barrel @ 18.5" and overall @ 27". 12 gauge I find a little much, but 20 gauge works great! Not only are they great home defense, but are great for in the auto/truck when you need it in action quick.

Wally

Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007