Author Topic: Offensive vs. Defensive Calibers  (Read 906 times)

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Driftwood TEXAS
Offensive vs. Defensive Calibers
« on: May 15, 2005, 03:54:46 AM »
I have heard .45 ACP refered to as an offensive caliber and the 9mm refered to as a defensive caliber.  What makes an offiensive vs. defensive caliber?

Thanks,
Doug

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 04:19:27 AM »
The difference is pure opinion. in my opinion.

All calibers can be considered defensive or offensive. It purely remains on the person's intent behind the trigger.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 05:12:19 AM »
I have to agree with Reed1911. It is just what you call it.  :-)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Dragon31

• Avid Poster
pistol caliber
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 05:52:48 AM »
Purposely going on the offense with any pistol is not real smart.  While I have never been on offense or defense as a civilian I have carried and used one (many times) in the early 60's as soldier in South East Asia.  I never pick a hand gun as my first weapon.  When I did have to use one (carbine Jammed)  The nine was enough to do the job as was the .45.  Targets were Small folks with no body armor.
Why anyone would knowingly go into a fight with a pistol escapes me.  It seems to me a question asked by some one who has never had to use a weapon.  I don't mean to be disrespectful but the question is moot.

Offline HouseofCash

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 08:11:52 AM »
Purposely going on the offense with any pistol is not real smart. While I have never been on offense or defense as a civilian I have carried and used one (many times) in the early 60's as soldier in South East Asia. I never pick a hand gun as my first weapon. When I did have to use one (carbine Jammed) The nine was enough to do the job as was the .45. Targets were Small folks with no body armor.
Why anyone would knowingly go into a fight with a pistol escapes me. It seems to me a question asked by some one who has never had to use a weapon. I don't mean to be disrespectful but the question is moot

:)  :) HAHA :)  :)

I dont think he was talking about killing people is South East Asia. I dont think he was talking about body armor or jammed Carbines.  :-D Im not even sure he was talking about a war type situation.

Any-how as far as offensive and defensive goes, I think it is more based on the handgun.

*For example*

If you are on the Offensive you might be a SWAT team, or, a bank robber.
So, you might want a gun that has high cap mags., silencer, light or even laser. You are probably not worried about hiding it, so, bullet size would not matter, because gun size would not matter. You would want knock down power no matter what. Shot placement would only be in your favor if you were on a SWAT team and would get into trouble with wild shoots that were off target. The bank robber would not care as much about shot placement he would probably just want as many rounds as he could hold in one mag. . Also the person with the gun is probably the only one that uses it, and does not need to worrie about recoil. Because, he is used to or certified with the hand gun.

As far as defensive goes. When you are on the defensive end, you most of the time are surprised and have to act/think much faster, and you might not be the most fermiler one with the gun you are using. Like if in a break in, you are away but your wife is home. You would want somthing that is easy for her to use and operate, with a bullet that does not have much recoil. If you were to get mugged at an ATM, you would want something you could get out of your coat fast and get onto target with. So, with that being said you might want a smaller gun, meaning the rounds might be smaller as well.

I hope this helped, Like I said, I think it is more the gun not the bullet.

Goodluck.
                 Dave.
GSSF Member

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
Offensive vs defensive calibers
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 09:08:12 AM »
This question has a very simple and clear cut answer.  What ever the other guy is using is an offensive caliber.  What ever you are using is a defensive caliber.

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 09:35:07 AM »
I personally think this is a asinine discussion.  Any caliber can be used either way.  Labeling one or another a given way is a false means of identification of ability.

...but it may just be my opinion.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline NYH1

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 09:53:33 AM »
It is my opinion that all "handgun cartridges" are "defensive" only. If you have time to plan an offensive operation, then you have time to get a long gun......IN MOST CIRCUMSTANCES anyway. An AR-15, MP5 or a Shotgun is a much better choice for any type of offensive operation. Out of all the handguns in the US Military, only one is considered an "offensive weapon" and its the Navy SEAL's H&K Mk 23 Mod 0 and H&K Mark 23 .45 ACP pistols

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg12-e.htm
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 02:27:01 AM »
The only folk I know of whoever used the terminology 'offensive' and 'defensive' when it came to pistols were the Russians (er, rather the Communists).  The categorized the TT-33 pistol, and variants, in the 7.62x25mm caliber as 'offensive'.  When they finally determined that the pistol should have a lesser role in combat, they went to the 9mm Makarov cartridge and termed it 'defensive'.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline MS Hitman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »
Personally, I find shooting 200 grain bullets at ridiculous speeds at deer to be quite offensive.

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 11:47:51 AM »
Thanks for the clarifications.  I always believed an offensive caliber was one that would take the target down with a single shot regardless of shot placement.

My new definitions are as follows:
Offensive: A Pug passing gas after eating horse manure :shock:
Defensive: A gas mask

Doug 8)

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 02:19:34 PM »
If you become offensive toward me then I become defensive toward you :twisted:
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."