Author Topic: Cylinder Score marks, New Uberti 1860 Army?  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Norseman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Cylinder Score marks, New Uberti 1860 Army?
« on: April 20, 2005, 12:02:14 PM »
I have a new Uberti 1860 Army and shoots like a dream.  I use a six o'clock hold on a 12" target and the balls zing right through the x-ring using 30 grains of powder and grease lube over the balls at 20 yards.  Here the question:  I have slight wear (actually just the bluing) around the cylinder from the cylinder bolt.  The timing seems to be just fine, ie no lead spitting.  At half cock the bolt is all the way down also.  I realize in modern revolvers this is normal, how about the 1860 Colt?  The actual clicks heard as I slowly pull the hammer back is click...click...click-click.  The last click very close to the third.  Should I be concerned with the slight score marks?

PS  I am having a blast with this gun, I think I have the percussion revolver bug.  More fun than my centerfire pistols and revolvers!  Draws a crowd at the range.  The boom, smoke (the sulfur smell) and holes in the X-ring, what else can a guy ask for in a gun?
RKBA!

Offline ribbonstone

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 12:49:03 PM »
As it's timing right and shooting well, may as well ignore the drag marks.

Can make it a bit better by polishing the bolt (not really changing it's size...just a nice smooth polish), but that just slows own the process.

IF we never took them apart or spun the cylinder whle at 1/2 cock (on other words, never loaded them) then the bolt would fall in the same spot each time...but becasue we do take them apart and do let the bolt fall where it may when reassembling them, they tend to get rung.

Shoot it...enjopy it...if you didn't want it to get a little wear, you'd have not taken it out of the box.

Offline Norseman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 04:04:22 AM »
Thanks ribbonstone.  I actually was more concerned with proper timing than astetics.  I think the Uberti Colt Army will look real nice as it ages.  It sure is a shooter.  My first gun ever was a percussion revolver in the mid 70's.  It was a brass framed .36 cal Colt.  It was junk, but I had lots of fun with it, and thats how I cut my teeth on my interest in firearms/hunting.  This Uberti 1860 is a whole different story in quality!  Using a six o'clock hold on a 12" round target it hits the x-ring at 20 yards consistently.  This was with 30 grains of fff, .454 greased balls.  It seems that the cylinder could take 40 grains though.  What do you think?  40 grains to me seems like the max charge and I would use it very sparingly.  The recommended charges from Uberti seems to be written due to law suits/liability rather than historical correct/real world and appears to be a real mild.
  I also got a real nice Slim Jim holster from Cabelas for it.  I just need to figure out how to attach a leather thong on it to go over the hammer while roving the woods.
RKBA!

Offline ribbonstone

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 11:50:21 AM »
Not going to be a popular topic, but belive that 30-35gr. is a good working max, with 25-30 being a good standard load.  Yes, can fit nearly 40gr. if you work at it, but so far in ever gun tested it's (1) not as accurate as the lighter loads (2) fouls the gun more rapidly (3) has a greater chance of blowing the cap to bits and having one of those bits jam up the works and (4)accelerates wear.

may be worth the trouble to polish that bolt's conmtact area...and perhaps use a bit of molly on the contact surface.

Offline Potato Frizz

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 09:48:56 AM »
AFAIK never put down the hammer from half-cock. With the next cock, the bolt raises and scratches the cylinder. Someone even told me that going down from half-cock takes additional strain on inner parts.

I always go to full from half-cock and than lower the hammer, and I don't have the scratches. My shooting friend doesn't do this and he has the scratches around the cylinder!

Most of the time, the lower loads are more accurate for target-shooting (smaller groups).

Offline Smokin_Gun

• Mosby's Rangers 43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
    • VoyForums: Black Powder Message Board
Re: Cylinder Score marks, New Uberti 1860 Army?
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 08:56:10 PM »
Quote from: Norseman
I have a new Uberti 1860 Army and shoots like a dream.  I use a six o'clock hold on a 12" target and the balls zing right through the x-ring using 30 grains of powder and grease lube over the balls at 20 yards.  Here the question:  I have slight wear (actually just the bluing) around the cylinder from the cylinder bolt.  The timing seems to be just fine, ie no lead spitting.  At half cock the bolt is all the way down also.  I realize in modern revolvers this is normal, how about the 1860 Colt?  The actual clicks heard as I slowly pull the hammer back is click...click...click-click.  The last click very close to the third.  Should I be concerned with the slight score marks?

PS  I am having a blast with this gun, I think I have the percussion revolver bug.  More fun than my centerfire pistols and revolvers!  Draws a crowd at the range.  The boom, smoke (the sulfur smell) and holes in the X-ring, what else can a guy ask for in a gun?

Is the 3rd click the bolt going into the cylinder, and the 4th the trigger going for after hammer locks back??? If so, ultr fine stone hone all inside parts jus' to remove all burrs. Check the bolt arm cam, its on the Hammer a pressed pin on the left side... for dings, burrs or a shrp forwad egde. I jus tunmy Rem that was doing that. Only I got some down to the metal lines. Smooth as Kentucy Bourbon now. Or it may jus break in....up to you.
I Smoke Black Powder / Prefer an 1858 Remington
Voy.com/60048/
SASS# 19634