Author Topic: Best Deal for BP / mail order or in Colorado  (Read 641 times)

Offline CrufflerSteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Best Deal for BP / mail order or in Colorado
« on: May 13, 2005, 05:26:43 AM »
I'm in need of more BP. I've previously done group buys from Maine Powder house. I've lost touch with the guys I used to buy with. That place sold 25 pound lots of 1 pound cans.

I prefer 1f since I can also use it in my antique 50/70 rolling blocks for a reduced pressure load. My cannon are a 1 3/4" golf ball cannon, a 1.94" Parrot replican and the newest, a 2.25" Coehorn mortar. Those sizes seem like they'd be okay with cannon powder or 1f.

I'm inclined to go with http://www.powderinc.com/index.html They sell Goex in 10 pound lots at $10.15 a can, 1f Skirmisher in 10 pound lots at $7.10 a can. How is Skirmisher? I get paid Monday and will be ordering. If any Coloradans want to go in on a larger order, that would be fine.

Steve

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Best Deal for BP / mail order or in Colorad
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 06:18:03 AM »
Go to our post on where to find Cannon supplies and look at the powder suppliers. Open theirwebsite and look for distributers.  

if you are making a large order a road trip might be worth while.  GOEX list several distributors in your area..WY, NM and MT.

Offline CAV Trooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 08:19:08 AM »
Check the prices for BP at local gun shops before you order. If you plan to get 25 pounds it will probably be worthwhile to order on line. Less than that may not be.

I needed 5 pounds for blank shots at the Florida Renaissance Festival and when shipping and hazmat fees were figured in, it was cheaper for me to get it locally.
“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 06:56:45 AM »
I always call around to the major supply houses for the best price. Then figure hazmat and shipping. Ya gotta eat the hazmat no matter what the quantity so I always order 50 lbs. I think the shipping is a bit less on large orders too. At seven to ten bucks a pound, a 50 lb order is a bit expensive for some folks to do. In the long run however, it's the best deal.

Offline CrufflerSteve

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 06:26:41 AM »
I went with Powderinc for Skirmisher 1f. I would have preferred cannon size but the price couldn't be beat. Hazmat is a drag but that's life.

Double D, 15 pounds isn't worth a 1200 mile road trip. My magazine can only hold so much and from what I could find out Colorado has a 50 pound limit. There are some areas where local regs are stricter but I'm not in one of those areas.

CAV Trooper, you must get good deals on BP in Florida. In Colorado since so few carry it, the prices are high. Powder Inc's prices on a 10 pack of Goex would have still been a couple dollars less per can that I paid several years ago from the local dealer.

Steve

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 12:59:29 PM »
Hey Steve....Glad to see that you have found a source for B.Pwdr.  I sure think the FG will work very well in your cannon.  Since you have the powder issue solved, do you have any thoughts of attending the Colorado Cannon Club shoot down in Raton, NM on Aug 5 - 7th??  Heck, this is only about 2 1/2 hours from you and is held at the NRA Whittington Center! The information on this shoot is on this forum under "Scheduled Cannon Shoots" dated around the middle of April.
Please keep me posted as to whether you may or may not be going.
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline CrufflerSteve

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 09:15:18 AM »
Darn! This must be my summer for bad timing. I ended up with some prior commitments the weekend of the Casper shoot. Now this shoot has its own conflicts. My girlfriend is scheduled for some serious surgery that week so I'm going to be pretty busy for awhile.

My gun club has talked me into bringing my cannon to their open house on Saturday, June 11th. http://www.blgc.org/

Maybe this is the summer I focus on getting things like sights, zinc casting and such under my belt so I can do more travel next summer.

Steve

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 06:34:31 AM »
Steve, in the event you encounter some drastic changes in your itinerary for the month of August, and if those changes would possibly allow you to attend the Colorado Cannon Shoot down in Raton, NM, please let me know and I'll make an even more concerted effort to attend that match.   We have to get together sometime when one of the Colo. Spgs shows are going on so that we can chat and exchange information about our blackpowder cannon/mortars......OK???Blaster (Bob down in Trinidad) :-)
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)