Author Topic: anybody carry a derringer?  (Read 1225 times)

Offline sachel.45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
anybody carry a derringer?
« on: March 15, 2005, 06:41:26 AM »
i've been thinking of getting one of those o/u .410/.45 colt derringer for snakes and stuff when i'm fishing but does anybody actually carry one for defense 2 legged or other wise?
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline Garthag

Derrenger for carry
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 08:16:12 AM »
I did for a little, a couple of years ago.  It was an "American Derringer Corp" DA38 chambered for .357 Magnum.  The top wouldn't reliably fire a .357, only .38s, and it was way too heavy for its size to be carrying around all day.  Part of the reason was that I could never find a good holster for it, not that I've tried very hard.
  I would think a revolver would be a better choice, with one chamber loaded with those CCI scatter rounds with the blue tips for snakes.  It would be more accurate and you would still have 4 or 5 rounds of more potent stuff for self-defense.  The featherweight ones are probably ideal for your purpose.  When you take into account how heavy those deringers are for their size, they really don't lend themselves to sitting in your pocket, so if you are going to carry it safely you may as well get a better tool to begin with.

Offline jhm

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 12:19:37 PM »
I have been known to carry a Davis 32 when dressed up in clothes other than the normal wear, and didnt feel underguned something is better than nothing. :D    JIM

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 03:12:03 PM »
Certantly wouldn't be my choice for a carry weapon. Too many better choices. If it were all I had, I'd make do with one.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Win 73

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 03:29:59 PM »
My main carry gun is an S & W Model 637 Airweight .38 snub.  I even carry it in church.  However there are times when I simply can not take a chance on it being discovered that I am carrying.  Those times I carry a .32 acp Davis Derringer.  It drops in my pocket and simply disappears.  My car keys make a bigger lump in the other pocket.

It isn't much but the two shot .32 in my pocket is better than my 15 shot 9 mm or my .45 at home.
"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  Luke 11:21

Offline totallycustom

• Avid Poster
I do
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 08:15:05 PM »
Well a derringer is the only handgun i own right now i just have a small American 22lr its not really meant as a 2 legged protector just nice piece for hiking, fishing and such.  I dont often carry but if i do thats it for obvious reasons.  I will be the first to admit its not the best ccw around but its what i have for now. --TC--
-TC-

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 08:16:43 AM »
gotta make do with what you have.

I used to carry a side-by-side 45/410 derringer til both were stolen.  Perfect for my carry needs when working.   45 for dog, 410 for snake.  2 legged threat is near nonexistant in this area, but I'm sure it could offer enuff protection if loaded properly-example: bar carry(legal in PA), 2 230gr JHP fairly warm loads.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline buckeye509

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 12:22:16 AM »
I've had a penchant for the .22 Mag O/U. It's an "in-your-face" type piece. If you've ever shot one at night you know that bad-boy puts out about 2- 1/2 feet of flame (muzzle-blast).   :bye: Had the High-Standard w/wallet type back pocket holster, and a less expensive Davis.

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 01:12:58 AM »
buckeye,
Hope the fireball stops the bad guy! :lol:  :lol: I've got one of the old High Standards in 22 mag as well. Believe it or not I did qualify it as a BUG years ago. I don't carry it anymore, just about any other gun is a better choice.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline PawDaddy

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 10:04:02 AM »
I have two davis derringers.  One is a blued .38 and the other is a crome .32.  The .32 is easier to shoot, but I did learn a trick from a friend about the .38.  The trigger was VERY STIFF, so I was kinda scared to carry it.  But, he showed me how to pull down and back on the trigger instead of just back.  Makes all the difference in the world.

I have carried these at different times when dress would not permit anything bigger.  You have a gun, and that is better than nothing!
PawDaddy

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 09:41:21 PM »
Out here in the wonderful PRC we can't get the .45/.410 guns because they're deemed to be a "shotguns" and the barrel is too short to be legal.  Whatta crock of brown, stinky, bovine gravy!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 09:00:19 AM »
Not a derringer, but close enough, I carry a NAA 22MAG as my back up to my main gun.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 07:54:09 PM »
:cb2: I thought about getting one of those Bond 45/410s but the price is as stiff as the hammer. Wow, you really gotta have some thumb to cock that thing. By the time I got it cocked, it would probably be too late to use it. Kinda heavy, too. I think there are better choices for small carry purposes.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline S.S.

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 05:41:19 AM »
A friend of mine has a bullet lodged in his right thigh
bone because of carrying one of those little Davis Derringers
in his pocket.
I never really had a desire to own one after that thing
went off when he sit down.....
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Win 73

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 01:21:52 PM »
Quote from: S.Sumner
A friend of mine has a bullet lodged in his right thigh
bone because of carrying one of those little Davis Derringers
in his pocket.
I never really had a desire to own one after that thing
went off when he sit down.....

I have a .32 Davis derringer.  I think the only way that it could have gone off when he sat down was if he was carrying it fully cocked and the cross bolt safety off,  I have dropped the hammer from full cock more than once on the cross bolt safety and it will not go off that way.

The only other way it could have gone off was if it had mechanical problems.  In that case he shouldn't have been carrying it at al.
"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  Luke 11:21