Author Topic: S&W 686 - 9mm  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Sverre A.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
S&W 686 - 9mm
« on: April 20, 2005, 04:40:44 AM »
I should like to have a cylinder in 9x19 for my 686.  Can someone recommend somebody who can do such a conversion?

Offline Savage

S&W 686 - 9mm
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 12:26:24 PM »
Might be cheaper to buy one of the Smith 9mm revolvers. Hard to find, but it makes more sense to me.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
S&W 686 - 9mm
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 02:14:15 AM »
Sverre - actually, I was going to ask why you would want to do that.  The 9mms are basically undersized for the bore (.355-6 vs .357-8), and the 357 is so much longer than the 9mm that you will get a lot of jump from the end of the case to the rifling, which is liable not to grab the bullets enough to impart any spin or accuracy.

A lot of fellas feel that with the advent of all the inexpensive surplus 9mm ammo some sort of modification to a current handgun will allow enjoyable shooting of inexpensive bulk ammo, but I think two operational issues here are the cost of the modification and the concept of enjoyable accurate shooting.  

I am willing to bet that the difference between bulk 38 spls, wadcutters or otherwise and quality bulk 9mm surplus is pretty slim.  Lots of 9mm surplus is not great quality.  In addition, the 9mm really doesn't give you any advantage in a revolver.  I don't know why the hay S&W chambered a snubbie in 9mm - Gila Hayes, one of the Editors of Women and Guns Magazine once opined that the pointed nose bullets of the 9mm sure made for easier and quicker reloads but for that lady I would just have soon have advocated for a round nose flat point 200 grainer in 38 Spl as a more effective load with the same bullet profile.  Ah well, at least they're shootin'.  JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline Sverre A.

• A Real Regular
S&W 686 - 9mm
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 12:43:45 PM »
I have soooo manyyyyyyy 9 mm.  That`s the reason.
But I have to admit that the idea maybe is a little stupid.

Offline Savage

S&W 686 - 9mm
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 04:20:36 PM »
Forgot to mention that Taurus manufactures a 9mm revolver if you really must have one. Seems like a good opportunity to buy a 9mm auto to me!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
S&W 686 - 9mm
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 03:13:11 AM »
Sverre - how about a 9x23 Winchester /38 Super cylinder.  I believe S&W makes a revolver in the 38 Super for shooting games competition, and I think you could most likely chamber your 9x19s in something like that and just shoot them for fodder.  Also, with the 38 Super/9x23 Winchester you would have less bullet travel to the forcing cone and possibly greater success with reloading cast bullets.  Just a thought.  Mikey.

Offline ironfoot

• A Real Regular
S&W 686 - 9mm
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 06:30:35 PM »
I thought a 9mm revolver with moonclips would be a great gun for IDPA.
(Some rule changes in IDPA may have made that not practical now, but that is another story.)
I asked around on the internet about it.
I was told that the 9mm has a slight taper, and its harder to make a revolver that shoots a tapered round.
I used to have a Ruger Blackhawk convertible single action revolver with a .38 special/.357 magnum cylinder, and also a 9mm cylinder.
It shot .38 & .357 well, but the 9mm was not as accurate.
I assume that is because the barrel was bored for the .357 diameter of the .38 special and .357 cartridges, and was oversized for the .355 inch 9mm rounds.
Act the way you would like to be, and soon you will be the way you act.