Author Topic: loaded question  (Read 563 times)

Offline tssievert

• Trade Count: (0)
loaded question
« on: November 02, 2005, 04:29:09 PM »
i know this is more of a personal question, but which handi rifle/ammo combo would suit my varmint hunting needs. i'd like a 223 or a 243. i read somewhere that to shoot the heavier 223 bullets you needed a 1:9 barrel and that the 1:12 barrels were only good for shorter range/light bullet shooting. also, does anyone in here live near NE kansas?

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
loaded question
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 05:49:45 PM »
Berger bullets recommend a 1 in 12 twist barrel for their 64gr bullets, so I would say that is heavy enough for most anything you would want to shoot with a .223 out to at least 300 yards.  A .243 really isn't a varmint round, it will not leave much left of any Coyote or Fox you may shoot.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline DPRinks

• Avid Poster
loaded question
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 05:58:16 PM »
However, a .243 will shoot heavier bullets at higher velocities with less wind drift and a longer point blank range due to better BC's.
Check out some of the ballistic computers that are available free online. :D
D. Rinks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
loaded question
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 06:06:45 PM »
The .204 Ruger is the long range winner for varmints, great in a Handi or Fluted Ultra!! There were shooters who popped pdogs at well over 400yds at the Pdog Shoot last summer!! The 39gr and 40gr loads are good for yotes, too!!
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
loaded question
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 01:03:23 AM »
Unless you want or need to shoot the superheavyweights, you concerns may be unfounded. I have found that bullets in the 60 gr weight have done everything I expect from this cartridge. I limit its general use to 300 yrds. If you need to shoot something living farther, use more gun. On paper, you will begin to get alot of drift out past 350 or so unless you shoot the 75+ weights.

You mention 1 in 9 but 1 in 7 is a better rate for the true heavy weights. BUT You also mention the 243, do you have both rifles? If so your delime is easily solved. Shoot 40 to 64 grainers in your 223 and 70 to 105 in the 243!

You may even try the the slightly heavier bullets, you may be suprised. You will not hurt anything, worst case they wont be as accurate.

Good Luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline tssievert

loaded question
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 04:05:43 PM »
thank you guys very much for the  info. i have been reading all the arguments between the 204 and the 22-250. what are these rifles good for in the long range shooting. what about the 223, since its cheaper to shoot than the others.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
loaded question
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 04:37:28 PM »
The .223 is only cheaper to shoot factory ammo, handloading components for all three cost about the same. .204 brass used to be hard to find, but not anymore. The .223 doesn't compete with the .204 for long range, even the .22-250 falls short of the .204's capability. Use the ballistic comparison page at Remington to make some side by side comparisons.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/

Here's the .204 and .223....

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain