Author Topic: peep sight  (Read 688 times)

Offline Bob W.

• Trade Count: (0)
peep sight
« on: May 15, 2005, 11:27:20 AM »
gentlemen, I'm suggesting this on the shotgun forum because there seem to be many here that are quit "handy" if you will, about making adjustments or modifying their guns.  This may sound crazy, wierd, stupid or cheap ( which it is ) but here goes nothin.  
  I have been toying with the idea of a peep sight on a shotgun to use with slugs althought it may be better on the sidekick.  I took out the primer on a .410 and have been looking at ways to mount it on the shotgun or muzzleloader.  The apature seems to be large enough but not too large and the strength seems to be quite good but the question would be how to mount it without lots of work or expense!  
  I know some of you are probably saying, what an idiot.  I think there are peep blades for about $30 out there (yes I can afford it but don't want to)  I'm looking for a way to try the peep sight without expense 'cause I get a kick out of the idea.  Please feel free to express all opinions good bad or indiferent.  thanks

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
peep sight
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 01:06:18 PM »
Red Green would suggest duct tape.  :)
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
peep sight
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 01:15:44 PM »
double sided foam tape. works great.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
peep sight
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 02:01:07 PM »
Bailin' wire -n- chewin' gum :lol:
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Bob W.

peep sight
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 02:41:33 PM »
do I have to carry extra duct tape with me while hunting?  I guess I kind of expected a little humor although double sided tape might work just to see how I like a peep sight.  Maybe I could duct tape an old toilet paper roll and use it as the same principle as a ghost ring sight.

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Hull-sight
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 05:11:04 PM »
If your barrel is D&T'd for a scope rail, you could:

1-file or grind the rim of the hull to approximate fit of the barrel by wrapping the barrel with sandpaper, and stroking the hull back and forth until it matched the radius of the barrel.

2-use a punch or drill to make nice, clean holes in the bottom of the hull, to match the holes in the barrel that a scope rail would be mounted to.

3-with the fitted hull in place over the chamber, cut away just enough of the top of the hull so that you can mount the hull using some socket head cap screws, probably the ones intended for mounting the scope rail would do, washered up of course.

With a bit of paint, it probably wouldn't look bad, either.

I say go for it!

Offline Bob W.

peep sight
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 02:33:29 PM »
thanks thats a great idea. I'm only going to use the brass part of the casing and will probably tape it on just to see if I like it first.  Come on you guys lets play a little.  It really does look promising to me.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
peep sight
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 01:21:59 AM »
It seems to me that would make your POA too high if you were just using the bead. Only one way to find out.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
peep sight
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 04:30:22 PM »
I bet if you used a 410 hull it wouldn't be too high.  Probably need to blacken it to eliminate glare.