Author Topic: Nylon bore brushes and aluminum mold blocks  (Read 623 times)

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Nylon bore brushes and aluminum mold blocks
« on: September 25, 2005, 06:13:53 AM »
Well, I learned the hard way.  Nylon bore brushes will score aluminum mold blocks.  I wanted to polish up a block that had some corrosion so I put some non-abrasive polish on a bore brush and spun it in the block... Scored it up real bad.  Called it the cost of experience and dropped it in the trash.  It was the Lee 459HB mold.  I never thought a nylon brush would hurt it.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Castaway

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 06:53:47 AM »
Oouch!  Thanks for the heads up.  I've got eight moulds, seven are from Lee and one is the mould you mentioned.  If it's not too late to get out of the trash, it would be interesting to cast a few (assuming they would drop), cover 'em with Alox and see how they shoot.

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 07:02:06 AM »
I have no doubt that if they dropped, their shooting ability wouldn't be affected.  In addition to polishing/cleaning my molds, I'm trying to polish up my casting ability to produce some nice smooth shiny bullets.  That mold isn't ever going to do that without some real labor involved.  Not worth it on a $19 dollar mold.  If it were a $120 LBT mold, well that would be a different story.

Ian

usually...

Offline missed_shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 12:31:55 PM »
Haywire - thanks for the headsup. I must have been lucky. I used a nylon brush after soaking the molds in paint thinner. I lucked out and got no scratches. Don't think I'll risk it again. Any suggestions on how to clean the molds properly??
DONUTS - IS THERE ANYTHING THEY CAN'T DO ??- HOMER SIMPSON

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 12:56:28 PM »
I used an old soft toothbrush when I cleaned my others a few weeks ago, but that isn't going to get out corrosion.  I dunno.

Ian

usually...

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 02:53:15 PM »
get the leav ver very hot and let them molds get over heated as well this should burn most of the stuff out of the molds, yes the bullets will be frosted but should shoot fine

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 05:29:56 AM »
ian mix up a strong solution of bicarb of soda and let the mould soak in it for a few days it wont hurt the mould an other is get some zyleen wich is an aluminium cleaner and use the tooth brush it wont hurt the mould but it will get the corrosion of  i work in the aluminium industry and that is wot we use when we get badly stained mill finished aluminium before sending it out the be anodized or painted. if you use zyleen you put some on a rag and rub like mad the corrosion will come of. was your molds really well after using it its oily.  
bernie :D
if its feral its in peril