Author Topic: Suggestions on a scope for around $250 for a new .308  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Carroll B

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.geocities.com/bayrunner.geo
Suggestions on a scope for around $250 for a new .308
« on: February 20, 2005, 07:54:07 AM »
Going to treat myself to a .308, probably in a Ruger M77.  Don't need one but just want one. Already looked at the reloading dies and bullets this weekend. I'd like a Rem 700 BDL but they stopped making them in .308 and the used ones are out of my price range.  I'll use it for mostly targets, maybe some ground hogs, and hopefully when I retire a deer trip in the mid-west. The local BassPro carries a Bushnell Banner 4x12x40 for $100.  They have a Leupold Rifleman 4x12 for $250, and a Leupold VX-I for $250.  I will open this can of worms for suggestions.  I'm not against mail-ordering a Simmons, or Burris, or any other brand as long as I stay within my price range.
Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Home Page www.geocities.com/bayrunner.geo

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Suggestions on a scope for around $250 for
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 08:19:20 AM »
I'd recommend you check out The Optic Zone for scopes in your price range, lots to choose from and the best prices you'll find. The Nikon Buckmasters or Bushnell Elite 3200 are good choices to look at.

http://theopticzone.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=55

http://theopticzone.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=41
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 09:48:34 AM »
Nikon Monarch is a good choice. Check the price at The Optic Zone.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 03:30:07 PM »
I personally would recommend the Nikon Monarch like others, but if you would not like to spend that much, I would go with a Nikon Buckmaster or the Bushnell Elite 3200.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Zachary

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 03:45:26 PM »
I have purchases quite a few scopes from the optic zone, mainly Nikon Monarchs and Elite 4200s - just ask Jon. :)

As such, I would STRONGLY recommend the Nikon Monarch 3x-9x-40mm which should be around the $250 range you are looking at.  Jon is right, if money is an issue, then take a look at the Elite 3200, but keep in mind that the Monarch is a better scope and hence well worth the little extra money!

Zachary

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 05:46:12 PM »
Personally I'd strongly recommend against ANY scope with a top end magnification of 12X and no means to adjust for parallax error. By doing you you limit yourself to using it at about 9X or below where you need it most at higher powers due to the aiming error parallax will introduce. Any manufacturer who makes such a scope is betting the prospective buyers are too stupid to know the difference and are hoping by making it cheaper they'll sell more.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 01:14:03 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Personally I'd strongly recommend against ANY scope with a top end magnification of 12X and no means to adjust for parallax error. By doing you you limit yourself to using it at about 9X or below where you need it most at higher powers due to the aiming error parallax will introduce. Any manufacturer who makes such a scope is betting the prospective buyers are too stupid to know the difference and are hoping by making it cheaper they'll sell more.

GB, tell us how you really feel.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Carroll B

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 02:11:17 AM »
I appreciate the replies.  I'm leaning towards the Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50.  The optics zone sells it for $265. It does have parallax adjustment on it. I agree with Graybeard that over 9x you need to adjust for parallax.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 05:14:31 AM »
GB, tell us how you really feel.

Can't really do that Redhawk cuz I'm real shy and reticent about speaking out.  :-D

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 07:09:39 AM »
"reticent" Thanks GB. Now I've got t get the Websters out!  :-D
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Zachary

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 01:46:22 PM »
Carroll,

I'd think twice about your choice - although it's not a bad one.  Ask Jon about the Nikon Monarch 3x-9x-40mm - I own a few and I love them.  They have much better optics than the Buckmaster and it's about the same price.

Again, ask Jon.  I'm sure he'll agree.

Zachary

Offline Carroll B

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2005, 03:02:25 PM »
I finally settled on a Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12x40.  It has paralex adjustment. The Nikon 50 mm looked like the Hubble telescope.  There was a customer there are the same time who had several of the Elite scopes and liked them, plus he "claimed" several of the guides he books with uses them.  Time will tell if I made the right choice.

The manager of the gun dept at BassPro gave me detailed instructions on how to bore site the scope.  He invited me behind the counter and had me make the adjustments while I looked through the scope, then he cheked my work.  He was not only very friendy but gave me several pointers about how to set up and adjust a scope.   He walked me out of the store with the gun then stood outside talking about hunting and trap shooting with me for another 10 minutes. I was surprised at this level of great service.

Offline Nontypical

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 06:24:54 PM »
that nikon 3-9 is great optics for the $

the burris fullfield II is a heck of the scope for the money, perhaps a very small step down optically from the nikon-, you'd save $50, and Jon's got the sticky here about the binos that come along

they'd probably be decent "truck binoculars" to have around

the ballistic plex on the fullfield II is great for a longer shot

Offline mrlizzzard

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 12:41:42 AM »
New and dumb here but Mueller 4x16x50 is less money and bright and made for life.
lizzzard

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 02:31:33 AM »
As a proud owner of a Nikon Monarch 3-9 I'll vote for it as well.  I like it so much that I will probably buy another one for my 243.  I know that this will make a stink, but I find it clearer and brighter than my Leupold VariX-III 2.5-8.  In addition, I like the recticle size on the Nikon better than the Leupold.

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2005, 05:18:39 AM »
I"d have to agree with Zachary on this one.....Monarch 3-9, and my next personal choice would be the Burris FFII, although the Elilte 3200 would probably almost as good as the Burris.

Offline kenjs1

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 03:08:58 AM »
my brother is asking the identical question and looking for a variable up to 12x or so.  We ended pairing choices down to the Bushnell 3200 4x12x40 and the Weaver V16 - 4x16x42.  The Weaver is getting the nod because, even though I think 12x is preferred, it has a 42mm objective instead of a 40 and it is FULLY multi-coated, the Bushnell is not.  Low light performance was one of the biggest factors in the decision.  I told him the 'perfect' scope for his needs was, in my opinion, a Burris Fullfield II 4x12x42.  Best price I found was $299.  That is the trouble with scopes - if you are on a budget it seems you can get 80% of what you inside your spending limit.  To close that gap to 100% it takes bumping up past your budget in monetary steps.  Seems these guys know how to dangle fruit just past your outstretched finger tips.  For example, I found the Bushnell for $249, the V16 for something like $270.  I mentioned the Burris because it was still under $300 - once you leap past the $300 mark a lot of choices open up - and many seem,more or less, EXACTLY what you want.  I don't want to come across as knocking the 3200's because folks do swear by them.  Just telling you how our mnids dissected the exact same question you have.

Offline kudzu

• A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2005, 03:35:16 PM »
I guess that I will be the odd ball on this one. for a cheap scope ( when I say cheap I mean in price, not quality) I will have to go with the simmions whitetail expedition, if you can still find one. Have compared with scopes having 2 to 3 times the price tag and hav't come close to seeing 2 to 3 times the scope. This scope will come in well below the 250 mark. Found some on clearance  for around 90 bucks apiece. wish i hada boughta few more. Normally around 165.00