Author Topic: BORE SIGHTING?  (Read 1574 times)

Offline msorenso

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
BORE SIGHTING?
« on: February 06, 2005, 04:30:52 AM »
hAS ANYONE USED ANY OF THE BORE SIGHTING EQUIPTMENT SUCH AS A
 Laserlyte Super Hi-Precision Universal Laser Boresighting System ? You can get them at Cabelas for around $150.  Just wondering how effective they are? :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 06:41:24 AM »
GOOD LORD, 150 DOLLARS!!!!!  Ive used the old fashioned collimtor to do all my boresighting and it has worked plenty fine.  I bought mine from Cabelas for probably $50 and whats nice is you have a grid to work with.  This way you can check zero a lot easier by just writing the spot on the grid down.  Ive tried laser boresighters before, but they just dont hold a candle to the collimator.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 07:04:54 AM »
What was it that you didn't like about the lazer.  I do not know much about the type you are talking about.  How do you use it?  Thanks :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 11:31:02 AM »
Well, it was a unit that used arbors in the shap of the intended chambering that was loaded into the chamber.  You had a small target you had to put on the wall 25 feet away.  The whole unit was just cumbersome to me.  I didnt have very much space to work with (the 25 feet I mean) and trying to line up the laser was a pain.  
When I started using the collimator things became just plain easy.  Attatch the proper sized spud, slip into bore and look through the scope.  BAM, your ready.  No 25 feet, no alingning little laser points on a target on the wall 25 feet away, nothing.  Just look through the scope and start turning dials.  Plus, like I mentioned, you can use multiple ammo types and weight in one rifle/scope combo just by keeping track of grid co-ordinates.  This will cut sighting in time down if you decide to change loads to just double checking it is correct rather than a complete re-zero session.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 04:43:57 AM »
Where do you get one of these?
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 11:49:14 AM »
This is the one I got from Cabelas.  Its $45 (I also have the optional shotgun arbor as well.):
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jhtml?id=0016709&navAction=push&navCount=1&indexId=cat200006&parentId=cat200006&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fpod-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712

If you atill are thinking of Laser sighters here is the general page with all the listings:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jhtml?id=cat200006&navAction=jump&navCount=1&parentId=cat20712&parentType=category&cmCat=MainCatcat20712

You can also find the smae general style of collimator, just from different makers like BSA, Bushnell and B-Square at Midway USA.  Pretty much all of them run no more than $50.
Good luck,
Brian M.
NRA Life Member

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 04:12:14 PM »
I have a bushnell collimator bore sighter. It works great for higher power scopes.
I am looking at the laser bore sighters. they should work great for open sights and lower power handgun scopes.

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 03:02:29 AM »
wHAT PROBLEMS DO THE LAZER BORE SIGHTS CAUSE VS THE OTHERS?  THIS IS A SUBJECT I KNO :D W NOTHING ABOUT SORRY ABOUT ALL THE Q'S
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 11:39:55 AM »
Oh, please dont get me wrong.  There are no real "problems" with the laser boresighters.  Its just an ease of use thing.  A collimator lets you boresight in almost no space taken up, outside or inside, and repeatability is superior.  You will assuredly get the same results with either, but the collimator, at least IMO, will do it easier and quicker.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member

Offline Lawdog

BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 11:55:56 AM »
I have both systems(older Bushnell mechanical and a Laserlyte Super) and each have their good points and bad.  The Bushnell is a bit faster to use but not as accurate.  The Laserlyte takes more room but is more accurate thus requiring less target time at the range.  Since getting the Laserlyte(Christmas present from the wife) I haven't used the Bushnell.  For my uses give me a laser system.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 01:11:58 PM »
Thanks for all the help! :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline savageT

BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 03:31:39 PM »
Has anyone tried the Leupold Magmount boresighter?  I picked one up about a year ago and it seems to do fairly well.  Comparing a bore sighted gun before and after range sight-in shows some changes as expected, but we're on paper at 25 yds..... all I'm asking for????

If you are sighting in a bolt-action, remove the bolt and sight it in through the bore while resting on a good sandbag or steadirest and you will do as-well or better than any boresighter ever does!

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline Camper

BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 08:38:17 AM »
NewHampshire,  I have a question about the collimator.  I bought one from BPS and when I insert the rod (for lack of better word) into the barrel , the collimator falls to one of the sides.  I have tried this with several rifles of different calibres.  Is there a trick to keeping the collimator straight without falling over.  It seems like there is too much play in the rod???

Thanks,
Camper

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 11:55:25 AM »
Hey camper,
Thats one on me.  Im not sure.  The spuds (thats what the rod is called) that I have are just at bore diameter and have a metal "spring" arm to hold them in good.  Is it possible that its the collimator itself moving?  If so you might just have to tighten down the screw that keeps it in place.  Other than that the only reason I could forsee a problem is if you had an odd size bore, say like a russian 7.62 bore, and are trying to use the .30 spud.  But that obviously is not your problem.  I suppose a quick fix would to try some layers of tape to help take up the slack.  Id put the tape on towards the collimator side of the spud so that most of it will slide into the bore and the tape will fill up the extra space and help keep it held in place.  Who exactly is the maker of the set?  I checked the Bass pro site and found only the BSA set.  Is this the set you have?  If so you may want to contact them, or BPS and see if they can help.  It is definately not normal.
Good luck,  :D
Brian M.
NRA Life Member

Offline Camper

BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 05:21:36 AM »
Yes NewHampshire,  It is a BSA set that I have.  The spuds are tight to the Collimator. The collimator just keeps falling over so I have to get someone to hold it center because I cant hold it up and move the reticles on my scope at the same time.  I will check with bass proshops as well???   I am using a .30 cal spud in my .300 Savage and the .50 cal spud for my M/L  it even does it with my .22 ???

I will see what BPS says???

Thanks for your help.
Camper

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2005, 11:48:33 AM »
Good luck.  Everything sounds right on your end, so I suspect the equipment is failing you.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2005, 10:49:20 AM »
I never understood why you would need a boresighter unless you mounted scopes for a living.
All I do is mount the gun in a vise or bag it, pull the bolt out put a piece of tape on a wall, find the tape thru your bore, adjust scope so it covers the tape and you will hit paper at 50.  From there its just a few clicks to moa.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 10:51:26 AM »
It would be great for my pump or semi auto .22's.   Sounds like these contraptions save ammo.    I usually get on the paper easily at 25 your way and then on to 100.   But I have to shoot several shots that way to sight in correctly.    

pepaw

Offline rickyp

BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 11:34:23 AM »
[/quote]I never understood why you would need a bore sighter unless you mounted scopes for a living.
All I do is mount the gun in a vise or bag it, pull the bolt out put a piece of tape on a wall, find the tape thru your bore, adjust scope so it covers the tape and you will hit paper at 50. From there its just a few clicks to moa.

This works great for bolt action and single shot rifles.
bit does nothing for revolvers semi-auto handguns pump action shotguns and rifles, lets not forget semi-auto rifles

a bore sighter had a grid that once the weapon is sighter in you can mark the spot on the grid. after you travel or drop the weapon you Can use the bore sighter to recheck the zero.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2005, 05:09:44 AM »
I've never heard of someone using a boresighter to sight in his shotgun.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 05:11:22 AM »
And most guys who own semi-auto rifles don't sight them in anyway, they just keep pullin' the trigger.
Buckskin

Offline rickyp

BORE SIGHTING?
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2005, 05:21:44 AM »
I use mine to sight in my rifled slug barrel