Author Topic: Warranty voided!! Repairs by H&R failed!!  (Read 738 times)

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Warranty voided!! Repairs by H&R failed!!
« on: June 14, 2005, 05:59:17 AM »
Just for your information: Have been having a real time with H&R Customer Service. Again, it seems one hand doen't know what the other is doing.

Bought a used Ultra 223 that the previous owner had shortened from the original 24". This had been done by a gunsmith and had been finished with a recessed crown. On going to the range, found several brands (Remington, Federal, and PMC) would stick cases 2 out of 5. Also opened up on firing 3 out 10 times. Polished chamber as described by several experienced fellow members. (This was the first time I had attempted the polish trick, before I just considered it... junk and got rid of it.)

Back to range, with no improvement. The chamber was so rough that the fired cases clearly showed rings left from the rough chamber.

Called Customer Service, spoke with Mary. She said send it back. Did so.

Rifle returned to me. The chamber looked much better. Went to range. This time the opening on firing is gone, but still fails to eject 1 out of 4. Called Customer Service, spoke with Mary. She said to return rifle and they would replace barrel. Sent rifle off.

Got a call this AM from Customer Service, Jennifer. She stated that since the barrel had been shortened, they would not replace it, but the would try to fix the case sticking again. She could not answer what the shortening of the barrel had to do with their issue of not repairing the barrel the first time I returned it. She stated that if I wanted to replace this defective barrel I would have to pay for a new barrel. (??)

Now, when it is retuned, I will have the original cost, plus approx $30 invested in shipping and insurance. Maybe it will eject and maybe not. If it doesn't, I suppose it will make a adaquate tomato plant post. (MSP Ret: Did not know about "will call" shipping services. Mary never mentioned it either.)

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. Of all my H&Rs, only the 223s and 243's have not been worth the trouble. (I know, others have had good luck with them) And all this testing and retesting has taken time away from my p-dog chores. Thank God I kept my Remingtons.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Warranty voided!! Repairs by H&R failed
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 07:03:07 AM »
I hope it's back to you by the middle of next week!!

SEE YA!!

Offline jeff223

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 09:17:36 AM »
its to bad they wont take care of you with this barrel.i had a bad barrel once from them and they replaced it with a lamo stock set to make it right with me.i had to go to Marlin with the problem before they would take care of me.

all NEFs now are worked on by me or by my smith,nothing is sent back to them.trigger jobs are simple once you have done them.recrowning and other work is done by him.the frames are simple and parts are cheap.they can be very good guns once all the bugs are worked out of them.im sure you will end up happy with the gun if you take the time to get that gun right

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 10:56:54 AM »
mt3030, the term is a "call tag". I personally would only ask them for one, and expect them to issue one, for a problem with a new gun right from the factory.....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline MtJerry

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 11:34:28 AM »
Wally,

Give me a call when you get a chance ... I would like to help if I can.  I have a .223 and have simular problems and got them worked out.

Jerry

PS - Mike ... see ya soon!
:D

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 12:21:04 PM »
BANG!...pop!...HEEHEEHEEE!