Author Topic: Felt Recoil of a Handi in 30-06  (Read 1029 times)

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Felt Recoil of a Handi in 30-06
« on: June 18, 2005, 04:10:01 PM »
I can't imagine what the felt recoil must be like in these larger cartridges in a Handi. How does it compare to a average 12 ga. shotgun?

How many shots can you make before you're so sore that you have to quit?

I'm considering a .308, what would its recoil be like?

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 04:53:21 PM »
just about a week ago i was shooting my 30-06 handi and my 308 handi  (looking for a deer load) in the 30-06 i was shooting a 150gr bullet and in a the 308 i was shooting a 165 gr bullet and the 308 even with the bigger bullet had a LOT less recoil.  if you still want a 30 cal but don't want a hurt shoulder get the 308 .

P.S. the 308 only weighs 1/2lbs. more.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline mitchell

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 04:56:09 PM »
oh one more thing i plan on doing some shooting tomorrow i'll make sure to take a 308 ,30-06 and a 12ga pump and 12ga NEF./ i'll write again tomorrow and let you know what i find out.

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 05:13:23 PM »
I have been very surprised with the recoil of each of my larger bore Handi's, so far.  Milder than I expected on each.  The .30-06 was the first large bore I picked up.  I have been experimenting with Rem & Win 180 Soft points.  The recoil is surprisingly very manageable.  Probably no more than a 12 Ga., but sharper.  Not a push typical of a shotgun.  As far as how many shots can I fire.  More than the gun can take before heating up to the point where the groups go away.  That would be about anything above five.  After three the groups begin to expand, but I have fired as many as five in a row and the recoil has never been a factor.  

I have a Handi in .30-06 Ultra Comp and .280 but I have not taken time to get to know them yet.  I've been spending time dialing in the .223 and the '06.  

By the way, with the factory loads and some tweaking that I learned about on this site, the '06 is shooting between 1"-2" 3-shot group at 100yds.  I've had smaller groups, but larger ones also.  I believe the different group size's are more me than the gun.  

Oh, one more comment.  Nothing recoils as hard as the New England Tracker II with rifled Sabots.  Absoulutely brutal!  I had to zero it with a sandbag on my shoulder

Hope this helps.

EVOC ONE

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 08:21:54 PM »
Oh, one more comment. Nothing recoils as hard as the New England Tracker II with rifled Sabots. Absoulutely brutal! I had to zero it with a sandbag on my shoulder

I would be willing to bet the 10ga with the heaviest loads ..would be a little worse in a Handi :eek:

I've had both the 30-06 barrels...the standard...and 2 of the ultra-comps...the ultra comp in a lot easier on the shoulder...even from a rest...but the standard 30-06 isn't real punishing.The trick to shooting any rifle is to shoot it sitting completely upright...not hunched over..that way the recoil moves you backward...and not directed down and into you otherwise.You have to set up higher with your rest is all...once you do...you will see immediate results.

Another thing that makes recoil worse is fear...you tense up when your anticipating getting hurt...so it amplifies the recoil ...just relax when shooting them...they really aren't that bad...when you relax...you can roll with it...and that makes it easier on the shoulder..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline lonewolf5347

• Avid Poster
handi recoil
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 01:51:44 AM »
I made to move about 4 years ago and purchase a mag: recoil pad ,worn over the shoulder.
I almost gave up shooting seem the older you get them bones start to hurt ,I shot the handi 06 the other day recoil was mild compared to my large bore 54 cal m/l I shhot,the best investment is a shoulder recoil pad :D

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 02:57:52 AM »
You know, Mac.  I never considered the 10 ga.  Holy Cow! I would expect that it would have to recoil harder than the Tracker.  I wouldn't want to shoot it, but it would be interesting to watch someone else shoot it.  HehHehHeh.

By the way, Happy Fathers Day to all the fathers out there in Handi Country.

Have a Great Day!

EVOC ONE

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 05:55:06 AM »
I shoot 3" 12's in my 870 and Stoeger 2000 auto.............but when I shot my 45-70 Handi with Remington 300's........wow, hurt! :eek: Of course, I have a bad shoulder at the moment, maybe when that heals, it won't be so bad. Will still hunt with it, but No target practice for sure!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 06:21:09 AM »
I don't think any felt recoil in a Handirifle will compare to shooting a 3½" 10ga or 12ga 2¼oz load at or above 70 ft/lbs or recoil when the recoil of a hot 45-70 or a 450 Marlin is about half that!! I've shot my 45-70 Handi with 2400 fps 300gr noslers and it doesn't compare to my 835 Ultimag with heavy turkey loads.

Tim

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Coastwatcher

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 06:39:15 AM »
Recoil is as much about stock fit as anything else.  I have a sporterized 1917 in .30/06 and the stock fits me poorly and its the worst recoiling rifle I've ever shot.  Not because it hits my shoulder, but because it tends to roll and smack my face.  I've shot .300 win mags etc. with good fitting stocks and they are fine.  

Proper stock fit is a science of its own.  Lots of info about it on the web.   Hardest part is deciding whats theory and whats do-able.
My prayers are always answered,  sometimes the answer is no...........

Offline safetysheriff

Re: Felt Recoil of a Handi in 30-06
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2005, 09:00:16 AM »
Quote from: McLernon
I can't imagine what the felt recoil must be like in these larger cartridges in a Handi.

some may not want to hear this simplistic answer: but a .270 Win, or a .25-06 Rem' in a Handi will be easier on the shoulder than either the '06 or the .308.    and they will reach out just as far, if not more, in an effective manner against deer, antelope, caribou or goats.

i was amazed at how mild the .270 can be to shoot.   the big thing, however, that i found with any of them - is to hold the rifle TIGHT against the shoulder.

i shoot 165 gr' Hornady's out of a Remington M700 in .30-06 using IMR 4320 and cci #200 primers in Rem' cases.    i am surprised at how easy it is to handle 50.2 gr's of that IMR 4320 with a 165 gr' bullet when the rifle is tight to the shoulder.

good luck with your decision,

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2005, 06:41:05 PM »
Quote from: Coastwatcher
Recoil is as much about stock fit as anything else.  I have a sporterized 1917 in .30/06 and the stock fits me poorly and its the worst recoiling rifle I've ever shot.  Not because it hits my shoulder, but because it tends to roll and smack my face.  I've shot .300 win mags etc. with good fitting stocks and they are fine.  

Proper stock fit is a science of its own.  Lots of info about it on the web.   Hardest part is deciding whats theory and whats do-able.

This is sooooo true...and the easist fix to this problem...is simply put on one of the self sticking shotgun stock pads...the kind used in trap shooting...they come in different hieghts to suit your face.....or...my simple fix...I use a Uncle Mikes( nylon or neopreene...your choice) shell holder and put some soft foam under it...it not only alllows you to adjust the comb height and width to fit your face for perfect scope alignment...it keeps the stock from smacking your cheek bone and jaw.Cabela's has a strap on type that has different height shims to put under it for the correct height as well...if you don't like the other 2 methods...doing this will allow you to do as Safetysherrif says and pull it in tight...and you won't believe how much easier it is to shoot any recoiling rifle with it on the stock...it removes most of the percieved recoil from your face...and this is where the most of it comes from in the first place...try it and see...you'll be glad you did...especially on that cold morning when your cheeks are stinging from the cold...

SS...I do agree with you on the 270 & the 25-06 being a great long range deer cartridges...especially the 25-06...on the recoiling end..both are fantastic to work with...but the 30-06 can be made to do just as well with the proper bullets for the smaller critters...and still have the advantage on the bigger ones...heck...with my Ultra Comp...it recoils with the 200 grain partitions about what the 150's feel like in the standard 270...that's why I like it as much as I do...and since I have sold my Weatherby Vangaurd 270...I'm probably going to get a Ultra Comp in 270.. provided they have any left...just to have one...been scheaming on how to sneak this one in :wink:

Mac

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 04:25:37 AM »
I agree with most of this line. My handi's (45/70), 308, have far less recoil than I'd imagine with such small rifles. I shoot anything as I approach 60.
Have been asked repeatedly by friends to sight in their big bores for hunting. I am convinced that by tolerance advantage is strength training.
I'm not talking muscle beach stuff. I think 10 - 15 minutes 3 times a week
2 sets of 8-12 reps concentrating on: chest press, shoulder press, biceps
triceps, and row... Takes big pressure off the shoulder, particulalry if you add a little lean muscle mass, in support of the joint.....

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 11:18:00 AM »
Mac' (et.al.)

Hello, and I hope all is well.

Yeah, I can imagine that the comp' feature really tones the recoil down.....but the noise would be too much for me.    I 'plug' my left ear when I go groundhog hunting when using my .223 Handi'.    I can't imagine shooting a comp'd .30-06 without 'plugging' both ears, and wearing muffs as well.

Honestly, I couldn't tolerate the noise!    And we have seen a few others on this forum who had the same reaction as well.

Of all things, I understand that comp'ing or porting a handgun is nowhere near as bad as with a rifle.....   But I haven't fired a ported handgun.    Hell, my 5 1/2" Ruger .44 mag' has plenty of concussion without porting it!

But, to each his own.

Take care,

SS'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 11:44:31 AM »
I don't know why the extra noise, I've not noticed any extra noise from either of my ultracomp barrels, the 270 or the 30-06.....Just don't stand next to me though, the noise/blast off to the side of the the ultracomps will whack ya!!! That's according to those that I've shot next to, anyway!!!  :lol:

Tim

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
Stock Fit
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2005, 07:21:19 PM »
On the subject of stock fit I'd like to see a little straighter stock on the Handi's as this will REDUCE recoil and reduce muzzle jump. In other words a stock shape more like the CZ527 American as opposed to the CZ527 LUX. That is, less drop at the heel.This seems to be the trend with other manufacturers.  I haven't seen anything on our forum on this but maybe this could be added to our wish list.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 06:02:02 AM »
First:  The stock has to fit the person shooting.  Poor fit lots of hurt.  Most gun makers build stocks for the average male.  Shorter or taller people have to make adjustments.  My wife loves shooting her 30-06 and .35 Whelen, but her stocks have been cut down to an 11 1/2" pull length, she is only 4'11".  There is no way I can shoot her guns without getting the Heck knocked out of me, I'm 6'2".  Conditioning also has a lot to do with the perception of recoil.

Second: Weight of the gun, is an important factor.  Remember for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction.  The heavier the gun the more energy it takes to move it rearward, as the bullet moves forward.  That equates to less rear movement, less recoil.

Third:  The weight of the projectile (bullet) has a direct relation to the amount of recoil.  The heavier the bullet the more energy used to move it.  The equal reaction there fore has more energy in it, meaning more recoil.

In Short:  The heavier the bullet the more recoil.  A 110gr 30-06 bullet will not recoil as bad as a 250gr 30-06 bullet.   That's why I use a 125gr bullet to shoot varmits with my 30-06 Handi.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 06:05:26 PM »
i didn't even read any other replies here (no offense to no-one) but my "professional" opinion felt-recoil is dependent on your physical stature and even maybe the recoil pad.
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 06:26:10 PM »

That's the wierdest Handi rifle I've ever seen :roll:

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2005, 06:45:15 PM »
Quote from: lostsniper308
...but my "professional" opinion felt-recoil is dependent....

Ahem, and your "professional" opinion is based on.....????

Coming from a shooter that posted this thread a couple months back....

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=376689&highlight=#376689

Tim :roll:

Offline mitchell

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2005, 03:56:53 PM »
Quote from: mitchell
oh one more thing i plan on doing some shooting tomorrow i'll make sure to take a 308 ,30-06 and a 12ga pump and 12ga NEF./ i'll write again tomorrow and let you know what i find out.

sorry McLernon, i know it was a week ago but  i never made it out shooting i went out playing paintball sunday mourning and hurt my knee bad again so i didn't feel like hobbling out to set up targets . i may try to do it tomorrow if i can muster up the energy, i've been laying block all the last week, i'm pooped.