Author Topic: 243 range report help  (Read 937 times)

Offline camsdaddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
243 range report help
« on: June 10, 2005, 04:52:16 AM »
Guys I guess I am looking for encouragement more than anything right now. I just returned from shooting 3 dif loads 80gr win factory loads, 85 bthp 36.5 and 37 of varget. I shot several consistant groups that were say 3" horizontal but ran 6" vertical. I am by no means bashing the gun 243 handi ultra with about 80 shots through it. I think it would prob shoot better than I can any advise. Im just a little flusterd

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
.243 accuracy
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 07:18:45 AM »
Try some Remington green box 100 grain ammunition.
Do the "O ring thing" on the front end to free float the barrel.
When at the range pay no attention to the first shot.Mine is always a flyer and then it settles down to about 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards.
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline camsdaddy

• Avid Poster
243 range report help
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 07:35:34 AM »
I appreciate the advise but the 1 shot is the only one I may get at a yote or a deer. I havent done the o ring thing I know I know I should I just thought I may get it to closer to 1" working loads before I went to modifying. But I am still sure it has alot to do with the shooter I am got to do some work on that.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
243 range report help
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 07:46:04 AM »
Try the 100gr Federal Classics Hi-shoks if you can get them, if not, try the new 100gr Federal powershoks, they shoot great in mine. It may not be a problem with the rifle, just the ammo. I shot about half a dozen different loads in mine before I tried the Classics.  Adding the O ring isn't a big change and only costs .30ยข. Mine will string too, but not until the barrel starts to warm after the 3rd shot, which is way more than I need to down a yote or deer. :wink:

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline camsdaddy

• Avid Poster
243 range report help
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 07:55:24 AM »
Should my barrel be hot enough to string after 3 shots. I guess I just thougth with the bull it would take longer. I havent tried the 100gr because everybody said the 85 were more effective on deer but I guess if you dont hit it it dont matter if you shoot it with a 50cal.

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
243 range report help
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 07:57:37 AM »
Hi Camsdaddy,
What kind of rest are you using? My .243 shoots pretty good if I do my part. .75 to 1 inch group at 100 yrds.

Norse

Offline camsdaddy

• Avid Poster
243 range report help
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 07:59:09 AM »
The first time I shot today I had sandbag in rear and adjustable type in the front and the second time I had sand bag front and  rear. One thing I thought about after the fact was the first time I shot I had the barrel resting on the bag which I have heard here is not good.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
243 range report help
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 08:00:30 AM »
The hi-shoks/powershoks are great deer bullets and with the 243, lung shots would be the best choice, shoulder shots are for animals you want to break down on the spot, not necessary on deer. None of the 85gr shot as good as the 100gr in mine and I have the Ultra bull barrel, it will be warm in 3 shots, easy.

Tim

Offline Oklahoma Lefty

243 range report help
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 08:12:13 AM »
My 243 seems to like IMR4350 better than Varget. I haven't shot any 85gr bullets through it but I loaded some 80gr Sierra Varminters which shot a 5 shot group .400 at a hundred yards, maybe it was just a fluke but the load was 43.0 gr. of IMR4350. Hope this helps you a little.

Offline camsdaddy

• Avid Poster
243 range report help
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 08:12:38 AM »
For cost reasons is the factory load data available.  I would like to shoot alot more than I can afford and have a friend who will load. We are expecting a tropical storm this weekend but I plan to buy some 100gr and give them a try. between storms. Yeah I think one reason for part of my probs is the guy that was with me when I shot was saying that the bull shouldnt be hot that quick but I beleive those here.

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
243 range report help
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 08:52:49 AM »
Mine seems to shoot better if I have my rest as far back as I can on the fore end.
Also my .243 did shoot better after I used the O ring.

Norse

Offline MT4XFore

243 range report help
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 10:21:51 AM »
Resting the barrel of a rifle on a bag, rest, rail, or whatever is not very conducive to shooting good groups or hitting what you are aiming at.  Listen to the good folks on this forum, they say to rest your forearm as close to the hinge point as possible, these folks KNOW what they are talking about!  In a 243, the 100 grain bullets are almost always better deer stoppers than the lighter weight bullets, in my opinion that is.
You''re only as old as you think you are.....I''m still waiting on puberty, AGAIN!! :eek:

Offline camsdaddy

• Avid Poster
243 range report help
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 03:17:02 PM »
Well it looks like when I get a chance to shoot I will be trying the rem 100gr CL and the win 100gr power points. I went by walmart and my local bait and gun shop and there was a fed in the house. We are going to a larger town tommorow maybe they will have a better selection. I will either find a load or have a good time and be broke trying. I have thought about it I could have almost bought a 223 barrel and I know it shoots the white boxes well but I guess deer would be out of the ques (ethical I know its been done). But hey Im getting to shoot but it still gets ya flustered

Offline camsdaddy

• Avid Poster
243 range report help
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 03:20:54 PM »
excuse me there wasnt a fed in the house. federal agent or federal 243 ammo. sorry forgot to preview

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
243 range report help
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 03:56:38 PM »
camscaddy
I feel your pain.  A new barrel is sometimes just that, A PAIN.  I too, am working on loads for my new 243 barrel.  Went through about 5 loadings today, with SOME good results.

The Sierra's are not doing as well as I had hoped, but I think it might take a while to break in this barrel.  I had a lot of stuck cases today, so I have that issue to figure out as well.

I had some Barnes TSX 85gr that were showing a real nice promise till I noticed the barrel opened a little tighter and the primers were pretty flat.  Need to back off that load a bit.

Started off in about the middle of the load data, 43.5gr AA4350, (where I usually do, on a barrel I have shot through before) and was still getting well over 3300fps.  The only adjustment I mad to 3 different loads was the seating depth.  The ones seated OUT THE FARTHEST got the highest velocity, an avg of 3372, with the low of 3367 and high of 3383.  That's only a 16fps spread!

Funny thing, theses loads never stuck, go figure.  All cases were trimmed, and lube removed from outside.  Well I may not have it ready for dear season this year, but am still holding out hope.  I'll use my 30-06 this year (maybe the 375 Win too).
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline mhans938

243 range report help
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 06:20:14 PM »
Try using the Speer 100 BTSP, very good BC and holds together well.  I have one that I recovered from just under the skin after going thru behind the shoulder, blowing the heart/lungs and stopping on the other side. Never did weigh i but it held together very well and that deer never went over 10 yds.   I used a laser range finder and the deer was at 252 yds..  I also load with Accurate 4350 and can get just under 1" groups at a 100yds.  For prairie dogs and coyotes, either the 70 gr Ballistic tip or the 75 HP from Hornady does very well with groups running from .5-.75" at a 100.
The 70 gr. will shoot about .25" flatter than the 75 HP and .5 flatter than the 100 BTSP.  Sight in the 100 BTSP 3.25" high at 100 yds. and you will be between 4" low to 4" high all the way out to 300 yds.  This came out of Peterson's Hunting Mag. when they used to run a one page Hodgen's Reloading Caliber of the Month.  This is perfect for deer and makes it easy to center on shoulder and shoot.  Deer's Vitals are approx. 8''.   So it makes it easy to practice by just sticking up paper plates from the store at different ranges and then have fun.

Offline camsdaddy

• Avid Poster
243 range report help
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2005, 12:57:59 PM »
Well I guess I will have to wait on the federals. I went to another town today that has a large outdoor shop and the only feds they had were the vital shock I thought 23.99 was a little steep I couldnt afford them if they did shoot well. I cleaned it real good today and attached dif rings I noticed that one of the base screws was loose (I could have sworn I put loctite on those) hmmmm. I am debating on doing a little trigger work before I sight everything in just not sure. I am hoping the loose screw has something to do with it.If we ever get this tropical storm to pass I may get to shoot it some.

Offline camsdaddy

• Avid Poster
243 range report help
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2005, 02:50:10 AM »
Well I decided to do the trigger polish last night and I think I'm in love in cant hurt my accuracy it is crisp and clean. I have remounted my scope with loctite so hopefully that is cured. I cant wait to get a chance to shoot I hope that this gun shoots as good as the trigger breaks.

Offline camsdaddy

• Avid Poster
243 range report help
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2005, 04:57:26 AM »
Well I just got back from shooting and with the changes I made this weekend I am extremely happy. I change rings and found loose screw, Polished the trigger, changed mounts(which took awhile to even find the poster board)and tried win 100gr power ponts and rem corlocs and I must say Im happy. I have yet to do the o ring trick which I will do in just a few I wanted to see what a good before would be so I could compare. I shot alot to get it on paper and sighted but with a "warm" barrel I shot several 1" including a slight flyer and a few 1 1/2" I must say wow Im happy. Sorry for the repetition just got back and soaked in sweat the south Ga humidity is terrible today. Thanks everyone

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
243 range report help
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2005, 05:37:03 AM »
Tis good news, glad it's working out for ya!! Every little bit helps with a Handi!! :wink:

Tim

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
243 range report help
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2005, 07:15:46 AM »
could y'all help me here? I took my .308 out and to my dismay the groups opened up to 3-4" and a few even were vertically strung (different powder charges, for OCW test), now this rifle has pasted 1" @100yrd groups, what happened here?
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now