Author Topic: Beginner at swaging--C-H/4-D question  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Toobroke

• Trade Count: (0)
Beginner at swaging--C-H/4-D question
« on: June 24, 2005, 11:42:52 AM »
Has anybody used the 3/4 jacket C-H/4-D dies? Was thinking of picking up a set for .44 mag and tinkering a bit. Not looking to turn it into a business, just thought I'd try swaging.

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 01:03:27 PM »
toobroke, those dies work very well if you use soft lead and thin skinned jackets ( .012"wall thickness for example). But, you need to use a press of Rock Chucker quality.  You will find that jackets, purchased in quanties of 200-1000 will run about 5 cents each + postage. If you know where to get high grade scrap lead, that will run about 25-35 cents/pound. If you can get a set of 3/4 C&H/4-D dies, used, for $60 or so, you will have some of the cost factors nailed down to determine if you want to proceed with the swaging hobby. Other cost factors are: pot to melt lead, core mold ( or core cutter), micrometer, small 'bullet' scale, and so forth. I think you will find that if you only want "off-the-shelf" standard weight jacketed bullets, you can get them in quanties of 1,000 or more at very reasonable rates. Swaging really pays off if you want or need non-standard fodder. 8)

Offline Toobroke

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 09:44:29 AM »
talon,

Thanks for the reply. Press is not a problem as one of my presses is a C-H Heavyweight Champion. I already reload metallic/shotshell and cast bullets (for a couple of revolvers--one of them is a 'non-standrad fodder--38 S&W; .361 diameter bullet), so I have most of the expensive stuff (except the core mould). Not really looking to save money--looking to expand my 'hobby'. Dean Grennel wrote a lot about the C-H swaging equipment (favorably) in the first four volumes of the 'ABC's of Reloading', but I have never met anyone who had swaging equipment and wanted to hear from someone who had personal experience. Is casting cores easier/cheaper than finding lead wire or something? I hear jacket availability is questionable? Thanks for any advise.

Toobroke

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 03:07:30 PM »
toobroke, welcome aboard one of the only two swaging boards on the net ( that I know about!). Yes, it's a great, thou slightly expensive hobby.  To answer your questions first: Jackets are VERY available, either from Corbins Co, RCE, or Butch Hairfield. The first two outfits have standard length 1/2 or 3/4 jackets on the shelf ( most of the time) for rapid delivery. Mr Hairfield builds to order, and that could take 4-6 months. Cast cores tend to a little varying in weight due to voids. This can be solved by having an intermediate die to size/ make perfect weight of the cast core. CH/4-D die sets don't have this die, but they may be able to make one for you. It is somewhat important to have all cores weigh exactly the same to ensure full diameter of the bullet is achieved when swaging the jacket-core combination. For instance, if you are 1/10th grain short in the core, the bullet could be as much as .0005" short of reaching it's intended diameter. Some folks would say " well, that's close enough". That's the same thing Mr Buck would say, too: " Boy, THAT was close enought... I'm outta here!!" So, while cast cores all look alike in the same run, you are not seeing the voids in them... Weigh a few and see what I mean. I make my own lead wire now, but I used to cast cores. But, I always swaged them before dropping them into the jacket. When you make wire, the lead is swaged under quite a bit of pressure, and there is no voids. When you cut it to size, however, you'll have inaccuracies due to the fact that no cutting tool cuts the same on each cut... You get close, but not the same. So, with wire it's best to have that intermediate core sizing die, too.   Casting is cheaper than wire simply because of the shipping cost... you can find almost pure lead locally @ 30 cent/lb. To buy wire not only does it run $2/lb, but Mr Postman really charges to deliver it. As long as you are set up to cast..., recommend you cast your cores. Especially for 44s and 45s and above. 8)

Offline Toobroke

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 06:07:31 AM »
talon,

Thanks again for the reply/info. I emailed C-H/4D and Dave Davison answered all my questions (thus far)--very helpful. You said welcome to one of two swaging boards...other than here at GB's, where else do you go? I do frequent the bullet making board over at accurate reloading, but I like this one better

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 11:02:11 AM »
Another that Rick Teal put me onto yesterday is www.bulletsmiths.info/board/
  It will take some time to review all the threads. 8)