Author Topic: Average Distance for Shooting Western Big Game  (Read 1544 times)

Offline 147 Grain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Average Distance for Shooting Western Big Game
« on: May 16, 2005, 01:41:00 PM »
Would like to hear from western hunters as to the average distance they're shot Big Game at (i.e. deer, elk, bear, & etc...)?
45 ACP 230-gr. Double Tap Gold Dot = 1,010 fps / 15.3" & .95"    :D

Aim for the Triangle Area between armpits & throat.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Average Distance for Shooting Western Big G
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 01:27:03 AM »
I have had shots from 100 to 300 yards. 300 yards is what I set for myself as the max distance I will take game. But there will be opportunities of shots beyond 300 yards if you are up for the task.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Turtle

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 10:15:57 AM »
I would agree with Redhawk on that.  On average 100-300 yds but I have seen some amazing shots past that.  The situations were right and the individuals knew what they and their firearms were capable of.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 10:21:41 AM »
Out West here you can find brush/ timber as thick as you care to hunt.  Then there is the big wide open country where shots can be as far as you are capable of taking.  As Redhawk1 said shots usually run from 100 –300 yards but I have taken a few shots that went over 400 yards when trophy was too good to pass up.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 11:39:46 AM »
:D Many times I've had shots at antelope that  have been 100 yards or less.It seems most of my shots are in the 100 to 200 yard area.  I  usually limit myself to shots under 300 yards. 300 yards is a pretty long distance and most times animals are not as far away as you think. Many rifles zeroed at 200 yards allow you to shoot dead on out to 300 yards. Practice shooting at long ranges is really useful.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 06:18:51 PM »
I shot this deer once that was a good distance.  Deer was so far out that he had to send me a telegram tellin me he was dead.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 12:52:57 AM »
Quote from: crow_feather
I shot this deer once that was a good distance.  Deer was so far out that he had to send me a telegram tellin me he was dead.

C F

I got one too, from my Caribou I shot.   :-D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline cobrad

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 12:23:49 PM »
All my experience has been in western Colorado. Nearly all my shots have been in the 75 to 150 yard range. I've also shot several elk in the 3-500 yard range. I shoot a .300 sighted 3" high at 100 yds. That gives me a PBR of 300 yds.

Offline 147 Grain

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 12:49:42 PM »
I'm a precision shooter and normally don't sight high powered rifles 3" high at 100 yards.  For those that do, where to you aim on a Big Game animal at 100 yards:  i.e. 3" below where you hope the bullet hits or just put the crosshairs on target and don't worry about it?
45 ACP 230-gr. Double Tap Gold Dot = 1,010 fps / 15.3" & .95"    :D

Aim for the Triangle Area between armpits & throat.

Offline Slamfire

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 04:26:27 PM »
Quote from: 147 Grain
I'm a precision shooter and normally don't sight high powered rifles 3" high at 100 yards.  For those that do, where to you aim on a Big Game animal at 100 yards:  i.e. 3" below where you hope the bullet hits or just put the crosshairs on target and don't worry about it?

Behind the forleg, 1/3 of the way up the body. That means you hit the middle of the lungs from 100 to 250 yards with a muzzle velocity of 3000 fps or there about.

My average in 33 years of western huntin' 226 yards, accordin' to my journal. All ranges were estimated, some were paced, but ground contours made pacing inaccurate.  :wink:
Bold talk from a one eyed fat man.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 03:33:07 AM »
Quote from: 147 Grain

Well if I have my gun sighted 3 inches high, I still aim where I normally do. There is a 14 inch area on a deer that is the vital zone. 3 inchs is not going to make for a bad shot.

What do you do for all the different distances you may encounter a deer at?  What is your sight in? Dead on at 100 yards? So where would you aim at 300 yards?

Most shooters can sight the gun in for a specific range and know that when the animal steps out at any range from 100 yards to 300 yards, your point of aim is the same. And I don't consider it not worrying about it. I know it will still be in the vital zone.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline BeanMan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 01:39:59 PM »
Of all the deer, elk, and antelope I've shot in western Colorado the farthes was about 400 yards and the closest about 15 feet (my first bull).  The bull came up out of a draw that other hunters were pushing.  He turned around to look at his back trail while I put my sandwich down and put my rifle up.  Average shots around 75 yards more or less, I'm hunting high country timber.

BeanMan

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2005, 04:41:06 AM »
I hunt the Middle Park area of Co and you can kind of pick the distance you want (shoot)hunt from the dark timber to just wide open.  I prefer the wide open and I don't keep records but say around 300 plus yds on elk abit further on deer.  Depending on what caliber I decide to use but most times I sight-in dead on either 200 or 300yds.  If I get drawn of an antelope I sight the 6.5x284 at 400yds dead on.  I hunt the south east corner of Colorado and all you get is a long shot and gets real bad after the first day of shooting.  Well good luck to all.

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
average range
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2005, 10:21:00 AM »
This will probably be disapointing but here goes. How about 107 yards. That is 9 deer antelope in 4 years. The five with a revolver skew the results dramatically, as they were all significantly under 100 yards. Where the Antelope and Mule deer were over 100 yards one over 350.

longwalker

Offline cobrad

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 07:22:30 PM »
147 grain, I'm a bit of a precision shooter myself. I use a laser rangefinder and practice out to 650 yards. I also use a 1/2 mil reticle in a 2.5-10 tactical scope. At 1-200 yards I use the 1 mil hash mark above the cross hair. That puts me within an inch at those ranges. At 400 yards I hold 1/2 mil high, which puts me about 1" low. At 500, 1 1/2 mils high, which puts me right on again. These figures have been verified by shooting at measured distances. Most of my big game has been shot at less than 300 yds, and sighted in as I do I don't lose any time clicking in elevation or estimating hold over. Hold where you want to hit and squeeze. I don't shoot at big game at 650 yards, but the practice makes 300 yards seem easy.

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2005, 06:23:06 AM »
For nine elk and three mulies the average has been 70 yards in Colo. That was using a 50 cal. muzzleloader and most were about 40 yards.  My Wyoming antelopes averaged 200 yards with a scope sighted .308.  I have heard the old mountain men made some extremely long shots.  One even stated he put salt behind his bullet so the meat wouldn't spoil before he got to it.  :)
James